Baby Names

Catherine - Kate or Cate?

This is sort of silly but I wanted to get other people's opinions on this :) We're pretty sure we're going to name DD Catherine with the intention of calling her Kate or maybe Katie when she's really young.

Would you spell Kate with a K or a C given that her fn would be Catherine? I've seen a couple people posting about annoyances with how people assume their name is spelled, so it got me thinking about this issue.

TIA for any replies. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Catherine - Kate or Cate?

• I don't like how Cate looks, so I'd spell it Kate, but both are fine

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • I'm not a fan of Cate.

I do prefer Kate as a nickname to the Katherine spelling (I like Catherine best non-shortened) but you can certainly get away with a Kate/Catherine.  Look at Kate Middleton. 

• Loading the player...
  • We are considering Catherine June to honor both of our mothers. My mom is Cathy, so I don't want to use the "K" spelling. We would plan to use Cate. I personally don't like the Catherine/Kate thing.
    Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • da731da731 member

I would definitely go with Cate.

I find it maddening when people utilize letters within nicknames that have no actual presence within the first name itself. (Apart from the necessary end vowels that create most nicknames, of course.) 

• I prefer Kate, but I don't think either is bad.  :)
  • I prefer Kate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love it spelled Cate
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Kate - I think most people will be able to make the association between the C full name and the K nn - I'd actually never seen Catherine spelled with a K.
    Due on July 12, 2012!!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • I loooove Cate.  It gives a classic name a slightly unexpected edge.  Catherine/Cate has been on my short list for a while now.
  • Catherine is on our list too. We would spell Cate with a C.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • "Cate" seems more logical to me, although I've seen both nn being used for "Catherine".
    MPZ born June 2011
    TTC #2 ... Cycle 1-3: IUI = BFN | Cycle 4: IVF ... canceled but 3 snow babies
    Cycle 5: FET .. BFP! | EDD - 3/15/2014
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Since you are using Catherine, I'd definitely spell it Cate. I've known Cathys so Cate isn't odd to me.

BabyFruit Ticker

• kmplskmpls member
    Kate. Cate looks "special."
  • Well seeing as I'm a Katharine...I think you should just go with that. Stick out tongue

Kidding of course.

I think if you're going with Catherine then you should go with Cate or Catie. Yes, if you introduce her as Catie or Cate people will assume it is spelled with a K. But they'll learn quickly.

Anyone named Catherine (any spelling) has to deal with no one knowing how to spell their name.

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• imagejdk033:
    Kate - I think most people will be able to make the association between the C full name and the K nn - I'd actually never seen Catherine spelled with a K.

Really? I'm almost certain the most common spelling in the US is Katherine.

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• This is one of my favorite names -- I prefer Cate, H prefers Kate.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.  My only hesitation with Cate is that she will constantly have to correct people... I'd bet that everyone will just assume that it is Kate.

Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.
  • I think the traditional approach is Catherine nn Kate (even the princess does it this way :)). If it were me, I'd go with this option.

The spelling issue won't likely be resolved either way anyway because if she goes by "Cate" people will be tempted to spell it "Kate". If she goes by "Kate" people may assume it's Katherine.

• I prefer Catherine/Cate. I like very few /K/ names though. I don't think people will side-eye Catherine/Kate.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • The standard thing to do is to use the K spelling, regardless of the spelling of Catherine. It baffles me that people are suddenly opposed to this. People have been shortening Catherine this way for centuries. I believe that Cate is a relatively recent spelling, in comparison, although granted I can't find any support for this, so I may have just pulled that out of my as$. Cate looks a little awkward to me. I mean, I think it's fine if you prefer it, but I don't like this talk of "if you choose the Catherine spelling you are therefore resigned to the Cate spelling," because I have known MANY MANY MANY Catherines over the years who have gone by Kate or Katie. 
  • kmplskmpls member

imagejupiterthecat:
    The standard thing to do is to use the K spelling, regardless of the spelling of Catherine. It baffles me that people are suddenly opposed to this. People have been shortening Catherine this way for centuries. I believe that Cate is a relatively recent spelling, in comparison, although granted I can't find any support for this, so I may have just pulled that out of my as$. Cate looks a little awkward to me. I mean, I think it's fine if you prefer it, but I don't like this talk of "if you choose the Catherine spelling you are therefore resigned to the Cate spelling," because I have known MANY MANY MANY Catherines over the years who have gone by Kate or Katie. 

This 100%. Cate appears trendy. I think there will be a backlash on all the C spellings of popular K names just as many people are now over "k" names.

• I'm a Caitlin/Cait, so I thought I should weigh in to say you should use whichever spelling looks best to you. Catherine/Kate has plenty of historical precedent and Catherine/Cate makes sense as well.

Know that anyone who has any name in the Kate family will have her name spelled a thousand different ways. This can range from the annoying ("Really, Aunt Rachel, I'm 28 years old and you still misspell my name on my birthday card?") to the trivial (I will take whatever spelling the barista gives me as long as he doesn't skimp on the whipped cream). There is no way to avoid all spelling confusion for your little Katherine/Catherine/Kathryn/Cathryn/Catheryn/Katheryn/Qhathyrynne, so don't worry too much. Just choose the one you like.

• I'd go with Kate, like the duchess of cambridge!!
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • imagecaramia582:
    I loooove Cate.  It gives a classic name a slightly unexpected edge. 

THIS!

• LOVE Catherine and definitely prefer Kate over Cate. Cate looks awkward to me.
  • I'm a Katherine who goes by Kate. The story goes that my parents preferred Catherine but since they knew they wanted to call me Kate and didn't like the C spelling for the NN, they went with K. 

I agree with them, honestly, and I like having a K name. But really, Catherine is a great name no matter how you spell it, and I don't think you can go wrong.

Also, because there are so many different ways to spell Katherine, she'll have to spell it all the time anyway. I don't think that's a problem, but just mean that I wouldn't worry about that with this part of the decision. If that makes any sense at all :)  

• ablouablou member
    Kate.  But I prefer Katherine anyway.  Kate with a K either way.
  • Cate with Catherine and Kate with Katherine. I prefer the C's. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"