3rd Trimester

Lab attacks 2mo old (warning graphic)

Lab dismembers 2month old baby

Crying How horrifying & wth was the baby doing in the dogs reach, why wasn't the dog kenneled... ARGH!!!

Re: Lab attacks 2mo old (warning graphic)

• and Dad slept through the whole thing??????  
  • HTF do you not hear a baby being attacked?  Def not getting the whole story. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree. There are MAJOR gaps to this story that just do not make sense.

How horrible. 

• Totally agree! Though there is a slim possibility he could have due to exhaustion, sleeping pills/meds. Who knows??

But still, horrific!

Edit:

Not to stir *** here, but had this been a PIT BULL/BULLY Breed, would the story change? Would the focus then be less on the dad & on the dog more so?

• imagecmurphy09:

Totally agree! Though there is a slim possibility he could have due to exhaustion, sleeping pills/meds. Who knows??

But still, horrific!

Edit:

Not to stir *** here, but had this been a PIT BULL/BULLY Breed, would the story change? Would the focus then be less on the dad & on the dog more so?

mmmmm, nope. not for me, anyway.  The first thing that struck me was why didn't dad hear the baby screaming? right outside the bedroom door?  what, was he ignoring the cries and waiting for his wife to get home and deal with the baby??  

If it were a pit bull, I only wonder if the parents would have been more cautious and not left the child alone with the dog.  Whereas labs have a reputation for being so gentle and sweet, I think people may not be as cautious as they ought to be.

ETA: just to clarify: waiting for his wife, not realizing what was happening 

• imageSuern9870:
    imagecmurphy09:

Totally agree! Though there is a slim possibility he could have due to exhaustion, sleeping pills/meds. Who knows??

But still, horrific!

Edit:

mmmmm, nope. not for me, anyway.  The first thing that struck me was why didn't dad hear the baby screaming? right outside the bedroom door?  what, was he ignoring the cries and waiting for his wife to get home and deal with the baby??  

If it were a pit bull, I only wonder if the parents would have been more cautious and not left the child alone with the dog.  Whereas labs have a reputation for being so gentle and sweet, I think people may not be as cautious as they ought to be.

ETA: just to clarify: waiting for his wife, not realizing what was happening 

I agree.  As an owner of both a lab AND a pitbull, I could see myself being more comfortable with the lab being around the baby.  Both of my dogs are extremely gentle, lazy, and sweet, but that being said I don't plan on either one of them EVER EVER EVER being left alone with my infant. 

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecwm11985:

I agree.  As an owner of both a lab AND a pitbull, I could see myself being more comfortable with the lab being around the baby.  Both of my dogs are extremely gentle, lazy, and sweet, but that being said I don't plan on either one of them EVER EVER EVER being left alone with my infant. 

This.  I have 2 wonderful, sweet dogs. (A border collie and a lab/pit mix).  But leaving any animal alone with a baby or small child is just a horrible idea. 

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I cannot believe the irresponsibility in this article.  Why was the baby sleeping unsupervised in a bouncer?  How hard is it to bring the baby into the room where you are sleeping, or put him in his crib?  And this wasn't really even a family dog- it was a strange dog whom the family had only had in their home for several weeks!  unbelievable.

I have been stressing the last couple of days about our dogs, and how they will interact with our LO.  We have a pit bull and a golden retriever, and tbh I am more concerned about the golden retriever, since she bullies our pit bull sometimes.  Our dogs are a part of our family, and they are very sweet and loving, but they are still animals.  When I first read the headline from the OP I thought, "that's it, we're keeping the dogs separate from the baby at all times!" but after reading the details, I am just in shock.   Bully breeds certainly get a bad wrap, but the mistake lies in trusting ANY animal alone with a baby.

I cannot imagine the pain this family is struggling with right now, and my heart certainly goes out to them.  I only hope that people will be able to take something away from this about responsible interaction between babies and pets.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am amazed by people's irresponsibility when it comes to animals and children. We have two beagle/border collie mixes and they are so gentle and loving. They let our daughter climb all over them, but I'd never let them alone with her and she is constantly reminded to be easy with them. 
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • imagecmurphy09:

But still, horrific!

Edit:

The story wouldn't change for me.  But I'm sure it would for a lot of people.

I have a lab who has never, in the 5 years I've owned her before DD, showed any signs of aggression, but I still choose to not leave my dog and my child alone together.  While my dog is my pet, she is still an ANIMAL.

• This story makes my stomach drop. 

What a site for the mother to come home to. Really, the dad slept through a baby screaming as his leg was ripped off! REALLY?!

Omg, I'm gonna puke 

• This is really, really horrible.  And honestly scares the bejeezus out of me!

We have a very sweet black lab that we adopted 3 months ago.  She is a puppy (7 months old now) and she adores my 3 boys (4, 5 and 7) who play with her constantly. They are all over her and she has never acted annoyed or agressive.  She seems like the perfect dog for our family.  But on the other hand that doesn't mean that I trust her with my childrens' lives!!

I don't want to get flamed by people saying I leave my children alone (I am not driving my car away from them or anything)... but in the mornings I walk my 7 year old down the block to the bus stop and I am usually gone 10 minutes.  My 4 and 5 year old are allowed to stay sitting on the couch watching cartoons.  The point of me saying this is- I either walk my dog with us, OR put her in her kennel.  I wouldn't leave her alone with my little boys for 10 minutes, no matter HOW WONDERFUL she is.  I love her, and they love her.  But she is a dog. 

When our baby is born we are planning to put up a baby gate on the nursery door... and her swing, bouncy seat, etc will stay only in the nursery or our bedroom (where our dog is not allowed).  Our baby will absolutely never be alone with our dog.  This story only reinforces my caution.  But I still love my dog, and my heart really goes out to that family in the article!  The story is truly tragic.

• imageSherbet Lemon:
    imagecwm11985:

This.  I have 2 wonderful, sweet dogs. (A border collie and a lab/pit mix).  But leaving any animal alone with a baby or small child is just a horrible idea. 

Totally, 100% agree, leaving a child alone with ANY animal is a horrible idea. Animals are just that, despite the breed.

• imagecmurphy09:

But still, horrific!

Edit:

I think so. Sad, isn't it? 

• Ugh, I read about this earlier this morning... it made me sick.

It is NOT okay to leave ANY animal alone with an infant, unattended!  I don't know why people seem to think it's okay.

However, I think the story sounds fishy.  I fail to see how you could sleep through that. 

• imageMrsDavesAFish:

This is really, really horrible.  And honestly scares the bejeezus out of me!

We have a very sweet black lab that we adopted 3 months ago.  She is a puppy (7 months old now) and she adores my 3 boys (4, 5 and 7) who play with her constantly. They are all over her and she has never acted annoyed or agressive.  She seems like the perfect dog for our family.  But on the other hand that doesn't mean that I trust her with my childrens' lives!!

I don't want to get flamed by people saying I leave my children alone (I am not driving my car away from them or anything)... but in the mornings I walk my 7 year old down the block to the bus stop and I am usually gone 10 minutes.  My 4 and 5 year old are allowed to stay sitting on the couch watching cartoons.  The point of me saying this is- I either walk my dog with us, OR put her in her kennel.  I wouldn't leave her alone with my little boys for 10 minutes, no matter HOW WONDERFUL she is.  I love her, and they love her.  But she is a dog. 

When our baby is born we are planning to put up a baby gate on the nursery door... and her swing, bouncy seat, etc will stay only in the nursery or our bedroom (where our dog is not allowed).  Our baby will absolutely never be alone with our dog.  This story only reinforces my caution.  But I still love my dog, and my heart really goes out to that family in the article!  The story is truly tragic.

So you leave your four and five year old home alone for 10 minutes? Are you flucking kidding me? Dog or no dog do you have any idea what could happen? Really, really idiotic.  

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • imagegisa886:
    imageMrsDavesAFish:

So you leave your four and five year old home alone for 10 minutes? Are you flucking kidding me? Dog or no dog do you have any idea what could happen? Really, really idiotic.  

Donno if I would have said it like that but I agree. Especially at that age when they can walk and go anywhere and do what they want.  Just saying, if something does happen you will be charged with reckless endangerment for leaving kids that age alone. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thing most people don't realize is statistically Labs bite more than Pit bulls. The difference is they don't bite to penetrate. That being said my labs play bite that is fine for me could easily injurer a baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a pittie owner and doesn't matter what breed of dogs my husband and I have, we would never leave our child unattended. Feel awful for that family and I'm sure the parents have a lot of guilt over this.
    Me (33)& DX: DOR, FSH-20.3; DH(28):SA=normal 8/11 HSG= clear!
    IUI #1 10/12/11 (Bravelle + HCG + Prometrium & acupuncture) = 10/26 BFP! Beta #1=250, Beta #2= 615. 1st u/s 11/8. image Visit The Nest! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am at a loss as to how these stories keep coming up. Is it just because I am about to have a baby and therefore seeing stories about babies everywhere or is this happening a lot? How does one story of a dog mauling a child left alone with it not get the message across to parents? I have 3 dogs all different breeds and I love them to death and know that I have done great in training them and contributing to their friendly personalities. HOWEVER I will NEVER leave my child alone in their presence. They are ANIMALS and so many factors could lead to too many bad outcomes. All it takes is one animal, one time. I just don't understand how this keeps happening; no child should die this way or any way because of something SO preventable. Just heartbreaking.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imageRhianna1981:
    imagecmurphy09:

But still, horrific!

Edit:

I think so. Sad, isn't it? 

I agree that there would be a whole different take on this story if it had been a pit.  Let's face it....the media loves a good pitbull death story.  It's sick.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageslowden86:
    Thing most people don't realize is statistically Labs bite more than Pit bulls. The difference is they don't bite to penetrate. That being said my labs play bite that is fine for me could easily injurer a baby.

Really important to remember when using this statistic that more people own labs than all other breeds combined.  While it is true that there are more reported dog bites from labs than any other breed, it's misleading when you don't consider how many people own labs.  I'm not posting this in defense of labs or against any other breed, I just hate misleading statistics.

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Why the f*ck was the baby outside of the bedroom in a swing? Unattended? Its not like the dad can say he was trying to take a nap in peace, as he was obviously ok with the 3 year old being in the room with him...just not the 2 year old?

There's something else going on....probably why they've taken the other children into protective custody. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsDavesAFish:

Um...what!? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"