January 2011 Moms
Options

how would you feel?

my DD had a doctor appointment today (we switched insurance so she needed some vaccinations) and the doctor did weight and measurements.

She tells me that DD is 27 pounds and 31inches tall. The doctor didnt tell me the percentages, but what she DID say is that my DD is borderline obese. WTH?? I know every kid is different but she is not even that chubby. It made me really sad and pissed off. This was the first time to this doctor and I will NOT be going back.

Anyway, am I overreacting?? or would you be mad too?

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: how would you feel?

• Options

The CDC growth chart puts her at 50th % for height and 90-95% for weight. She definitely at the top of the chart for weight, but at this stage I wouldn't put her as obese.

Did she only recently become more active (walking,etc)? I think there are plenty of babies on here in her weight ranged. Did he just tell you she was borderline obese and then nothing? Or did he offer suggestions or things he thinks you should do about it?

I'm sorry you have to worry about it. I personally think she's fine. I wouldn't worry about my child being obese until they were in the 2-3 yo range. She has time to lose that baby fat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD just started really walking a lot and running about 2 months ago..

the doctor didn't tell me anything other than that she was border line. It was irritating because I didn't understand why she came to that conclusion. No suggestions, no percentages.. nothing. It stinks cause I really don't want to worry about it, but I can't seem to shake it. Sad

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Honestly don't worry about it, yet. Definitely don't put her on skim milk and AtkinsStick out tongue

I imagine she'll start trending down and if she doesn't you can worry about it more at her 18 mo or 2 year appt. For now I'd try to not think about it and enjoy her chubby cheeks Wink cuz she's stinking cute!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Did she have a sudden jump in weight, or is she still following her normal curve on the graph?

If the pedi didn't tell you anything to change or a special diet, I wouldn't worry about it. They need a certain amount of body fat for brain development. It's definitely something to keep an eye on as she gets older, but I wouldn't be concerned at this age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

First, I think it's wildly irresponsible of the doctor to tell you something like that without giving any reasoning for it or suggestions on what to do. Second, there are tons of kids who are chubby but then grow into it and end up thin. BUT...

I have a friend who feeds her 15 month old son grilled cheese sandwiches every day. She says she doesn't like veggies so doesn't think she needs to give them to her kid. She overfed him on formula from birth (he would be spitting up and she'd just have the nanny keep feeding him) so that he would sleep more and now to avoid having to do much with him she feeds him whenever he cries - unless she puts him to sleep. I think he's about 30 pounds and I (and most of the other people who see him) really believe that there's a problem.

So, while I don't necessarily think you have anything to worry about, if I were able to be really open with my friend, I would tell her some of these things because I think it's unfair to her child to set up such a messed up relationship with food and such unhealthy eating habits that will negatively effect him his whole life (especially since in her case it's primarily because she's too lazy to parent).

I do NOT think that a lot of this applies to you. I do not think that you are too lazy to parent and I don't think that you're trying to mess up your kid. I'm just saying that the only way to really determine if it's a problem is to evaluate your lifestyle. What's DD eating? Is she eating veggies or mostly processed food? Is she getting time to run around and play? If her lifestyle is healthy, then don't worry - BMI doesn't really apply to babies anyway and those charts are pretty messed up.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"