Adoption

Foster to Adopt Success Stories

Hi everyone,

If you're interested in sharing I'd love to hear your foster to adopt success stories for infants or toddlers.  I know it can be a long and difficult process, but also rewarding.  I've researched it a bit in the past and I read the newbie thread, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!  

Re: Foster to Adopt Success Stories

• We got DD at 6 weeks old- bio mom fell off the planet, bio dad was unknown. TRP was granted when DD was 11 months old and we finalized her adoption when she was 14 months old. We just took placement of DD's biological sister who was born in January- we are hoping to adopt her too. Both girls are very healthy- the latest baby was born drug exposed, but is doing,very well. 
    Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We finalized the adoption yesterday on our 3 beautiful children (adopted from foster care).  I dont have long to type now, but it was a 2 1/2 year process (3 1/2 if you count licensing) - many ups and downs, but the end result was worth it a thousand times over. 

I think the best testiment is this:  we would, and hope, to do it again!

• Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have a fost/adopt success story.  I am single and so my story is a little different.  I started by journey four years before I actually adopted.  I did all the classes, homestudy, etc and got approved for any race any age group up to 8 yrs. At first I did strictly adoption certification.  I received several calls to be considered for a placement, but they alway ended up choosing a two parent family. Then after about 3.5 years I decided to get licensed for foster care to adopt. In the time I was getting this done, my caseworker called me for a little boy 3 months old and asked if I would be considered for him as an adoptive placement.  This was a "high risk" placement, meaning that there was a bunch of things that could happen.  I decided to proceed.  First meeting with caseworkers I was blindsided by information that I had not been told.  Mother had never had any contact with him, but guy who we thought was the father was being contacted to see if he was the father.  BTW, this guys was in jail. Nice huh. I still wanted to proceed.  So I got to meet this LO and the caseworker said she had a court hearing the next day.  I got a call that next afternoon from her saying the judge wants me to have immediate custody and could I pick him up in one hour.  Um.. YES. So I had one hours notice to get him. Then came the unpleasant part. We had to contact this potential father in jail and ask him is he was the father.He responded back that he doesn't know this mother of the baby and is no way his father. So then we had to advertise for this guy in the papers. Then we had a termination of rights hearing. Of course the mother didn't show up and no one else did.  The judge then ordered a continuance of the advertising.  Another 3 months. Then another court date. I am thinking this is it, rights will be terminated.  I was wrong.  Then the judge orders that the state also advertise for the mother as she has fallen off the face of the earth and has never had contact.  She abandoned her child and they want to track her down before terminating rights. She has more rights than this child does.  So another 3 months. He is now 10 months old. Go back to court and the judge says okay, enough is enough, they have been sufficiently served and rights are terminated.  I can proceed with adoption plans.  I contact my lawyer that day and get the ball rolling.  She says it can take 60-90 days to get court date and up until that finalization date, if family shows up it can halt the adoption.  My lawyer worked it out to get 60 day court hearing.  That came and went without any problems.  Then one week after his first birthday, my LO became my son forever.  Finally my four year wait was over and I was a mom.  Best feeling ever.  The wait was so worth it and I feel like he was meant to be mine.  I can't tell you the love you feel for your child, makes no difference if they are adopted or a bio child, the feeling is incredible. 
  • We are a FTA success story. We received our first foster placement in Nov 2010  (very quickly after getting our license, for age 3-10, any race) and after his case was changed from reunification to permanent placement, we had to wait another 6 months before TPR happened and then almost another 6 months for finalization of our adoption. We have had a few other respite placements over the past year, but we don't have the space for another placement at this time.

Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • imageBeaglechon2012:

Hi everyone,

If you're interested in sharing I'd love to hear your foster to adopt success stories for infants or toddlers.  I know it can be a long and difficult process, but also rewarding.  I've researched it a bit in the past and I read the newbie thread, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!  

Thanks for asking this question, and thanks to the ladies who shared their stories. My husband and I are leaning toward adoption, but are open to learning more about, and possibly pursuing foster/adopt. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you everyone so much for your advice and great information! 

• Thanks to everyone who posted! I think I needed to hear this!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"