High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

a/s and blood clots

I had posted before when I did my NT and they found a large clot 7 cm by 1cm by 1cm. I just had my a/s today at 18 weeks 4 days and it appears to have broken into smaller clots (ultrasound tech first couldn't find it then said it was too small to measure), then Yale doctor came in and measured one that was hard to see because it was above my cervix and said that was "very thin" but was 3cm by 1cm. I still feel that is large. I can't exercise or have sex yet but they are optimistic and said it will prob be resolved by my next u/s on 5/14. I am still very worried this will hurt the baby. I remember some people responded they had expreienced this and I a, wondering what the outcomes were. I don't see many people posting about this but the doctor said it is very common.

We did find out the sex but it is in a sealed letter to open with DH at dinner.

Re: a/s and blood clots

• Options

I've dealt with SCH - sub chorionic hematomas for my past two pregnancies and this current one.  In March, I had a SCH that measured 6x4.  It then broke into two smaller pools/clots and was tracking around towards the os at 4x1cm.  I'm on bed rest and have been since 19 weeks.  They will continue to monitor the size of the SCH and the development of your baby.  We get the same speech from my high risk doc every time - when blood is trapped in the uterus it has two ways to resolve either being reabsorbed like a bruise or it will pass out the vagina normally as old, brownish pink discharge.  The presence of blood can irritate the uterus and it will try to contract to get it out.  The concern of a SCH is that it can cause pre-term labor and they will monitor  your cervix length to make sure it is not shortening.  Also, cometimes the SCH can interfere with adequate production of amniotic fluid and cause PROM; however, this is when you get into larger clots or abruptions that are around 40% of the placenta.

I have had two wonderful outcomes of two full term healthy babiesd ealing with SCH and placental abruptions and am currently almost to my first goal of 28 wks with this baby.  Unfortunately, it also meant 20+ weeks of bedrest with each one.

I hope that it does resolve and it is frustrating that they can't pinpoint exactly what caused it.  "Very thin" is a good description because I know when you think of clot you visualize a ball but really it's like a pocket of pooled blood similar to a blister that is being held between the placenta and uterine wall.

Of course, if you experience any bright red bleeding, passing large clots, or sharp pain then head to your doctor/hospital.

let me know if you have any questions.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks for sharing and your advice. Mine was caused by the placenta forming they said. The doctor said she could see where it came from and that the placenta is healthy and fully attached now. She states it is on the opposite side because it followed "the path of least resistence". I didn't realize that it could cause cervix shortening though but that makes sense as to why she measured it. I knew it could cause preterm labor but didn't realize that it was because it could cause contractions. Thanks for the info. Someone on my BMB told me to ask about taking aspirin to dissolve the clot, that she has a clotting problem and is always on that and Lovenox. Did you take any of these with yours?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was advised to not take anything that would thin my blood like aspirin or ibuprofen.  I'm to only take tylenol if needed for headaches and aches & pains. 

You can ask for testing to see if you have a clotting problem.  I saw a hematologist after my second pregnancy with these same problems and they tested for everything imaginable and again retested for APS this pregnancy and again - nothing.  I would consult your doc before taking anything since it could have the opposite effect if your blood clots normally and make it worse.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"