Parenting
Options

All-day 4K?

DS is supposed to start 4K in the fall and I'm still having a hard time deciding where to send him.

Our school district is notoriously bad and enrollment is done with a lottery system.  DS got into the only school we'd send him to, but I'm still a bit hesitant.  They only offer all-day 4K and DS has never been in any kind of traditional learning environment.  DS also makes the cutoff date by only two weeks.

Our other option is to send him to private school where he would do half-day 4K.  We'd then try the following year to get him into the public school.

I'm worried if we don't send him to the public school this year that he'll lose his spot.  It is one of the top ranked schools in the state and a ton of people try to get their kids in.  We already asked if we could delay enrollment a year, but they told us we'd have to start all over in the lottery system.

Re: All-day 4K?

• Options
    Personally, I think the full day PreK is great.  Granted, my kids have also been in daycare/preschool full time since they were infants so that part was not a big deal.  What sold me on the program at our school is how excellent the PreK program is.  It really gets the kids ready for kindergarten but still allows enough time for play and for being 4.  They spend a ton of time on the social side of things and really work with the kids on being around other kids, how to act, what to do or say in certain situations and they also work a lot on self help skills.  This is in addition to the academic side and its all been great in getting the kids ready for kindy the next year.  My older DD is finishing up the PreK program now and will be in the summer program for most of the summer and start full day kindy in the fall and my little one will start the full day PreK in the fall and she is so excited.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

I'd probably wait.  I'm a bit confused about the school district being notoriously bad but you don't want to lose your spot there, like it's good.  Is it the one school in the district that is good and the others are bad?  Our school district doesn't work this way which is why maybe I can't picture it.

If he's young and you don't think he'd be ready for full day, he probably isn't.  We have an excellent school district and the afternoon prek is awful compared to the am because most of those kids need naps still and aren't getting them because of their schedule. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I know it seems strange.  The school district we're in gets awful ratings, but there are a couple of schools in it that are good.  We got him into one of the few good ones. 

They do have quiet/nap time in the afternoon.  He hasn't napped since he was 2, so that isn't an issue.

• Options

I used to teach 4k - I had two sessions during the day 3.5 hrs each.  I didn't like it as much as I would have liked having a 'full day' with my kids.  3.5 hrs goes by soooo fast and I am the type of teacher that loves to teach through free play and we never head enough time for free play.  I remember seeing kids leave and thinking, "oh well, that is nice, I got to talk to Billy for two seconds today."  Sad

My 2 cents, I would rather see my child go all day with a teacher that I know is good and engaging the kids in developmentally appropriate learning, then send my child to a 3 hr program where she may be not engaged at all due to other needs of the kids.  Short form answer - all day program gives you child more of a chance to get the attention and learning experiences he needs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"