Success after IF

Anyone's toddler have to have tonsils out?

I think we might be headed down that path with Ava.  She had her first dentist appointment today (and did awesome!), and I mentioned that she grinds her teeth, BAD, at night.  They asked if she snored, which she does occasionally.  The dentist took a look at her tonsils, and they are very enlarged.  She said that teeth grinding and snoring in young goods is usually a good indication of sleep apnea, so referred us to an ENT doctor.  I'm not surprised, since apparently my tonsils were huge and I was a bad snorer -- I had to have the tonsils out when I was maybe 7.  I know that tonsilectomies are pretty routine (and the ENT may very well suggest waiting anyway), but the thought of putting my little baby girl under kind of freaks me out.  Thanks for any input!
My Favorite Books image
Books read in 2012: 58!

Re: Anyone's toddler have to have tonsils out?

• My nephew did and it really helped him with his snoring/breathing/and even speech.  Hopefully it'll be as helpful for Ava!

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Em had hers out at just over 3.  They were enlarged and she was up 5-7 times a night with nightmares, terrors, etc.  She finally ended up battling strep enough times that it all added up to tonsils and adenoids coming out.

She had to stay overnight and did great that night---ate mare than she had in a long time!  Of course, she was still a bit drugged.

Recovery at home was OK.  We tried to stay on top of pain meds but the Tylenol with codeine made her sick to her stomach so then she refused all meds.  She didn't want soup, pudding, ice cream or anything like that...only Sour Cream and Onion Pringles...strange girl.

Her sleep is so much better now and she just seems healthier and happier.

Good luck!!!

• Loading the player...
  • My DD Had it done. She was sick every 30 days with tonsillitis. She was just 3 when she had it one. I was a wreck that day, she was fine. She Woke up crying, and it was a rough couple of days but she did amazing. She hasn't been sick since! That was last March! 

Dx: PCOS, Anovulation, RPL
    Born via emergency c/s February 9, 2008 - 9lbs, 3 oz!!!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

TTC# 2 since February 2010 - BFP #1 Sept 2010-(5mg Femara, 1500mg Met, Ovridel) Missed M/C at 10w2d, discovered at 13w2d, D&C at 14w

BFP # 2 - February 2011-(1500mg Met, HCG Injection) Missed M/C at 10w1d, discovered at 10w3d, D&C at 11w...RPL testing came back all normal.

Trying again. June 2011 - Clomid/1500 mg Met / Baby Aspirin - BFFN!

July 2011 Femara/1500mg Met/ Baby Aspirin - c/p

August 2011 - Femara/1500mg Met/ Baby Aspirin - c/p

September 2011 - Puregon/ 1500mg Met/ Baby Aspirin - BFFN!!!!

• CMM05CMM05 member

Yes. N (DS2) just had his tonsils and adenoids out in November (he had just turned 2).

I am not going to sugar coat it: it was not fun at all. I would not recommend it unless it is absolutely necessary.

The surgery was the easiest part. Recovery was awful. They made us stay overnight due to N's young age. He pulled out his IV and keeping him entertained was really hard. Granted, he wasn't talking very much, so communication was really hard.

If you decide to do it, e-mail through FB and I will give you more details about recovery and tips. You would be looking at around a week worth of recovery.

A friend's 6 year old DS got his out last week and he was out of school for a week.

GL!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Dylan had his out last summer, along with his adenoids.  He snored like crazy and would grind his teeth - he actually still grinds his teeth at times now.  Recovery was hell (our ENT told us it would be about 2 weeks, and it was almost exactly that).  It was so hard to see him go through that, but now, I am SO glad we had it done.  He sleeps better, doesn't snore anymore, he can actually breathe through his nose at all times, etc.  At first, it was actually weird for us to see him doing something with his mouth closed because he had always had it open, as that was the only way he could breathe. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone.  It sounds like recovery is not fun.  :(  I'm hoping the ENT recommends holding off for a bit.  She does not get sick often at all (knock on wood) and has no issues with breathing while she is awake, so hopefully we can wait until she is a little older.
    My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"