Natural Birth
Options

Third pregnancy and over the medical stuff (irrational vent)

This is my 3rd pregnancy/kid and honestly, I think I'm over most of the medical/midwife stuff.  I would be happy renting a doppler and monitoring my own blood pressure and never going into a midwife/OB office again. 

It's not that the nurses are rude or mean, it's just a waste of my time and money (or my company's money since I have insurance through them).  I think my biggest complaint is time.  I would much rather spend an hour and a half doing something I love than sitting around an office waiting for a nurse to remind me that listeria is a "real threat for partially pasturized" soft cheese after I pee in a cup or that mercury is a concern with eating fish.  Heck with 2 kids and a full-time job, I think they should pay me my contracted rate to waste almost 2-hours of time to tell me things I've heard before and can read about if I need to - maybe we'd come out even and then I wouldn't have to pay a co-pay to be annoyed.

Plus I think I'm bitter b/c after 45 min in the office (almost 30 of waiting, then peeing, then blood draw) they are asking me first-time mom questions, very nicely I might add, and I just want to roll my eyes like a teenager.  During our medical history, I actually asked if I could just fill it out on the computer screen for her instead of sitting through the questions that I had already filled out on a sheet and the nurse "had to confirm".  Plus, if I didn't have HIV/stds/and have A+ blood type less than a year ago, shouldn't it be the same since my life is stable? 

Anyone else feel like there is they are over the medical stuff?

Two boys already - ages 5 and 3...

...baby #3 is here...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Third pregnancy and over the medical stuff (irrational vent)

• Options

No, but my MW didn't put me through all of that.  I LOVED my apts. and am sad that they are over.

Sounds like you are seeing the wrong kind of MW. :)

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

There are only 2 MWs in our whole town and the other one was even more not my type, plus both work in the only 2 OB offices in our town and I admit that I probably rubbed them the wrong way when they both asked me about questions and I basically wanted to know how quickly after birth they would discharge me and my baby from the hospital - both didn't like that I wanted to leave less than 12 hours after giving birth.  I actually haven't ever seen the midwife yet, except to meet her when trying to decide on a practice, but I have seen two nurses in the practice.  Both have had multiple kids themselves, so you'd think they would be a little more laid-back about the prenatal stuff with me. 

I told the nurse I saw today that I may go with homebirth and next week I hope to actually meet the only direct entry midwife (she lives 1 1/2 hours away and only comes to our town one day a week). 

...baby #3 is here...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagepinksweetpea2:

No, but my MW didn't put me through all of that.  I LOVED my apts. and am sad that they are over.

Sounds like you are seeing the wrong kind of MW. :)

this.

i miss my MW and actually look forward to another pregnancy just so i can spend more time with her!

maybe you need to find another provider. My MW doesn't have me see a nurse first, doesn't make me pee in a cup (ever), doesn't weigh me (she does ask if i've noticed any significant gain/loss) and never gave me lectures about common sense things. she frequently asked how i felt about things, what was on my mind this month/week, whether i wanted to talk about xyz topic, and gave me credit for having BTDT. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageRockyMtnMama:

There are only 2 MWs in our whole town and the other one was even more not my type, plus both work in the only 2 OB offices in our town and I admit that I probably rubbed them the wrong way when they both asked me about questions and I basically wanted to know how quickly after birth they would discharge me and my baby from the hospital - both didn't like that I wanted to leave less than 12 hours after giving birth.  I actually haven't ever seen the midwife yet, except to meet her when trying to decide on a practice, but I have seen two nurses in the practice.  Both have had multiple kids themselves, so you'd think they would be a little more laid-back about the prenatal stuff with me. 

I told the nurse I saw today that I may go with homebirth and next week I hope to actually meet the only direct entry midwife (she lives 1 1/2 hours away and only comes to our town one day a week). 

was just going to suggest you look into this! sounds like it may be more of the experience you are looking for, at least prenatally.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageRockyMtnMama:

I hope it works out for you.  You won't believe the difference in care.  I saw a hospital based MW practice for the first 25 weeks with my first and my experience was very similar to yours...and I hated it.  

GL 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    I had just logged in here to write almost this exact same post. What grinds my gears even more is my MW was 45 minutes late to tell me things I already know. Waste of 3 hours of my life.
  • Options
    imagepinksweetpea2:
    imageRockyMtnMama:

I hope it works out for you.  You won't believe the difference in care.  I saw a hospital based MW practice for the first 25 weeks with my first and my experience was very similar to yours...and I hated it.  

GL 

I guess that is what really gets to me...this is my third.  Hospital midwife care on my first with an OB in the office - loved the main midwife found the nurses and other midwives to be pretty typical OBish.  Luckily I delivered with the main midwife I loved - great experience in delivery/labor, but hated the hospital policies and took over 24 hours from when I first asked to leave (with a room-in, no complications baby). 

Second was at a free-standing birth center with wonderful midwives - they always ran late, but it didn't bother me as much b/c they didn't waste my time in the appts and were much more my style.  Delivered and even with a 3rd/4th degree tear and having to be repaired at a hospital after, I was home within about 7 1/2 hours after birth.  Loved the labor/delivery care and the midwife appts were enjoyable.

New town - much smaller, no choices in midwives or hospitals really.  The nurses seem nice, but the practice has to follow their schedule (despite the fact that I started care at 14 weeks instead of 8-9).  Made me meet a nurse first for consult, then I meet another nurse for bloodwork/peeing another day, then I meet the midwife on the 3rd appt.  I tried to do them all at once and the receptionist wouldn't let me.  She was very by-the-book and didn't get that I didn't want all those others.  Plus she even scheduled me for an additional "dating ultrasound" for the week after my NT scan.  I had to just let her schedule it, since "this is the order we do it here" and then cancel it later.  And I've waited almost 30-min past my appt time all three times I've been there. 

Plus, the one hospital has strict not-so-natural birth policies (anti VBAC, VBAC recovery in regular surgery recover room with other surgical patients and babies can't be there with mom in recovery room since it's not OB/gyn only recovery, anti breech vaginal birth, won't release baby to home in < 48 hours, etc.).  But there is one direct entry midwife who seems great, but I can't seem to meet up with since I work 40 hours per week and have been traveling opposite of her schedule as to when she is in town. 

I'm about ready to just catch my own kid at home and go to the hospital if there are complications. [Thanks for letting me vent about my lack of options in our new state.] 

...baby #3 is here...

• Options

I would consider finding a new office. That would really annoy me as well.

I was new to my current office/group when I was pregnant with #3 and even though I was new to them,  they didn't treat me like a first time mom at all. Even more so this time. My OB and the nurses just kind of blur through all the routine stuff at the beginning (because they have to, I'm sure) and that's that. By the fourth kid, you pretty much know what's going on.

Even all the testing and stuff at the beginning, they remember/saw in the charts that we skipped them all last time so it was barely even brought up this time.I think at every appt. its mentioned that this is my 4th, that I know what's going on, etc. and I really appreciate that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I am back with the same OB. Unfortunately he runs late but I love him so I put up with it.  Fortunately he does not go over the same stuff and he let me "skip" appts... so I saw him at longer intervals. He has four kids and I think he gets it (and i"m low risk).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"