June 2012 Moms
Options

Wow!! I think I need to move abroad.....

until I finish having kids. LOL Check out this article I just found. Good to know the good ol' USA is one of the cheapest and most unfamily friendly countries in the world!

https://shine.yahoo.com/secrets-to-your-success/australian-company-iag-rewards-moms-returning-185600273.html

BabyName Ticker image IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Wow!! I think I need to move abroad.....

• Options
    Wow...that's just pathetic...of all the countries in the world, we're one of the FOUR that doesn't require any paid maternity leave???? Geez...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sadly I'm not surprised :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Personally, I find it a bit, well, overwhelming listening to the complaints of people not wanting the government to interject into the economic business side of things, only to complain about these sort of issues.

Anyhow, you can go to Sweden and receive great maternity leave benefits, but it comes as a high cost. I'm glad I'm not paying their taxes, especially if I was a citizen not using their services. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have to say I am glad I moved to the UK before having kids. With public healthcare (which I have been more than happy with) I have never paid one cent (or pence) for anything regarding having children. All doctor/midwife/hospital visits are free, no co-pays. Pregnant women and women with children under the age of 1 also get free prescription drugs and free dental care.

In term of maternity leave, I was told to take my full vacation allowance (22 days) at full pay before oficially starting mat leave, then I got 6 weeks at 90% pay, then 39 week of statutory maternity pay (about 123 British pounds per week). I can take a further 3 months off without pay to make a full year of mat leave, but since I got pregnant again 10 weeks after having DD I get another 39 weeks of statutory maternity pay and another year off work. Plus everyone, no matter how much money you make, recieves child benefit. It's over 20 British pounds per week from birth until the child turns 16 years old.

All of this is awesome for me, but it does sound a bit crazy considering what a shambles the economy is in. Other European countries offer even more. My friend has kids in Sweden and I think she got her full pay for a year. Plus I know child benefit and maternity pay are almost double what I get in Ireland. No wonder Europe is broke!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imageSamiantha101:
    Anyhow, you can go to Sweden and receive great maternity leave benefits, but it comes as a high cost. I'm glad I'm not paying their taxes, especially if I was a citizen not using their services.

I agree that their taxes are a lot higher, but their cost of living is also much different than in North America. It's adjusted so you can still survive. It would be completely different if you were taxed at the Swedish rate, making an American/Canadian wage and trying to live with American/Canadian costs of housing, utilities and food. 

Even somewhere, like in Dubai, a doctor may only make half of what the same doctor would make in the states, but their cost of living is completely different that the Dr is still considered wealthy, even though they're paid half as much as a US Dr. 

Maybe I get taxed out the wazoo and don't notice, though ;) 

claudia poirier
    Little Dude: 16 Apr. 2009 | Little Doll: 10 Jun. 2012

• Options
    imageSamiantha101:

Personally, I find it a bit, well, overwhelming listening to the complaints of people not wanting the government to interject into the economic business side of things, only to complain about these sort of issues.

Maybe, but I think it speaks volumes that the US is one of only FOUR COUNTRIES that don't offer it. 

TTC #1 9/2011  BFP 10/3/2011! (EDD 6/10/2012)   Aubrey Lynn, 6/17/12Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"