Attachment Parenting

tips for transitioning to pt daycare at 22 months

We found a great place for LO to go part time now that our nanny is not coming any more. LO has visited twice and loves it. She will start out 2 days a week for 2- 3 hours. It's also at the YMCA, so DH is going to take her the first 2 times and hang out for a while, and possibly leave to work out for a half hour so that she is eased into it. She has never been left alone someplace by herself, but seems to love the teachers and playing with the kids. 

Any tips for this transition? I am excited for her - I think she will really enjoy playing with the other kids and socializing, I am just worried about those moments where she looks up and wonders where me or DH is.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: tips for transitioning to pt daycare at 22 months

• *sniffle* I'm facing this, too. I'm happy with where we're leaving him, and I know he'll love having other kids around. I think you're already doing the best thing and easing in slowly (we'll be doing this over a week -  a couple hours at first, then a half day, then 3/4, then full). Make sure to say good bye and tell her you'll be back. That's about all the advice I've seen. I think it will be hard on both of us, but I have to go back to work (contractually, I have to) so we'll get through it.

• I too think that you're doing the best thing by easing your LO into the new environment.  My DD is a bit younger than your LO (she's 18 months) but she also really enjoys playing with her friends and teachers at daycare.

Our daycare has us bring in family pictures so our LO's can look at them throughout the day :) That might be a nice way to comfort your LO. 

• Loading the player...
  • Oh, that is a good idea with the photos.

I know she will have a blast most of the time. She really, really enjoys playing with others and we can't do that for her at home. I think it will be great for her, and for us. (I work from home and DH is a SAHD when the nanny is not around) 

It's a little bittersweet though - she's getting so big! :) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• We started with part time care around that age and it worked really well. We also did something similar in going a few times so he could acclimate to the environment with mom around. Even still the first time I left was tough-he cried for a good 20 minutes. Every time got less and less, and by the third week he was kicking me out and waving goodbye. hahaha. He loves it now and asks everyday for his friends.

Even still, his teacher tells me that sometimes he does ask for mom or dad, but gets easily distracted.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"