June 2012 Moms

Anyone else measuring big?

I had my 32 week appt today and found out I'm measuring 6cm big! I almost died when she said that. At 30 weeks I was spot on so in 2 weeks I made such a huge gain. I only gained a half of pound so it's not weight related. I am googling of course and found out it could mean the baby can't swallow properly. They scheduled me for an ultrasound, but not until May 1st. 

I am going to lose it before then. Anyone else in the same boat? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else measuring big?

• She is measuring a week ahead.  She had been measuring 3 days ahead ever since my 11 week scan.  2 weeks ago she was measuring a tad larger.  They are not changing my due date though.  However, this junebug could be a May baby.
  • At my last two appts, she's been measuring a week and a half ahead.  I don't know what that is in cm though, so it's difficult for me to compare it to yours.  

I do know that inside babies have growth spurts, just like outside babies, so maybe your LO just had a growth spurt during these past two weeks.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much right now and stay OFF of google. 

IAmPregnant Ticker Support with Integrity
  • Loading the player...
  • Your measurement can be thrown off by baby's positioning. Stop googling and try not to worry. One of our moms here has had HUGE ranges in measurements and her babies are healthy and average size for their gestation. 
    Photobucket
    Nursed without dairy, egg, soy, peanut, treenut, fish, shellfish or beef for over a year.
    Currently tandem nursing dairy, egg, and shellfish free.
    DS born via emergency c/s after 20 hrs of labor. DD successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Learning Liam
  • stop googling!!! You are just going to stress yourself out.

I've been measuring slightly behind the whole pregnancy and my last appointment I was 2 cms behind. Midwife wasn't worried so neither am I.

Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't worry too much about it.  It could just be the baby laying in a weird position.  I was fine at 28, 3 weeks ahead at 30, and only .5 cm big yesterday at 32.  Between 28 and 30, I didn't gain any weight either. 
  • Me too! I was right on track at 30 weeks, but at my 32 week appointment yesterday I was suddenly measuring 2 weeks ahead! I don't know how she managed to grow 4 weeks' worth in a span of 2, but ironically these past 2 weeks I've also been more active than in a while + I've been trying to eat healthy all along... What does swallowing have to do with measuring big? I've never heard of this before, but I'm a FTM so there's a lot that I don't know.

Measuring big could also just mean that you have some excess fluid or it could be due to LO's position at the time (if s/he was stretched out, for example)... Did they do it with the measuring tape or an US? Babies also grow at different rates - LO might plateau for the next few weeks and 'catch up' to the expected size.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemkflower3000:

What does swallowing have to do with measuring big? I've never heard of this before, but I'm a FTM so there's a lot that I don't know.

I didn't know about this either until my midwife told me. The baby swallows the fluid and so excess fluid can make you measure big and point to signs that the baby has trouble swallowing. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've measured 1 - 2 weeks ahead at my last 2 appointments.  I measured ahead when pg with my daughter too so I'm not worried, I had a lot of fluid the first time so I'm assuming the same thing this time.  If your dr. isn't overly concerned I wouldn't worry about it too much, and definitely step away from the google!  :)
  • My belly is only measuring 2 weeks ahead this time, which is still in the normal range. However, at this point in my last pregnancy I was measuring 6 weeks ahead like you are now. I had an ultrasound and it turned out the baby was average, but I had tons of extra fluid. It wasn't a big deal, they just gave me a follow-up u/s a few weeks later to monitor it and the fluid gradually reduced to a normal level over time.

Hang in there, I'm sure it will be fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am measuring 2-3 weeks ahead.  I have an ultrasound on Monday to get a more accurate assessment.  In my case, I have a feeling my due date is just off.  I have felt slightly further along the whole time, and I had a period between stopping BCP and getting pregnant, so my due date has always been just an estimate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm measuring 2-3 weeks ahead...@ 31 weeks the baby weighs 4lbs 6oz. He is just gonna keep watching me and see what happens. This happened with my last baby and the Dr induced me at 38 weeks and the baby weighed almost 9lbs. Don't worry about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"