June 2012 Moms

Swollen feet

My feet are crazy swollen.  I feel like I write about them all time, but seriously-they look like they couldn't get more bloated and swollen.  The tops are completely round.  My toes are like little sausages that poke out.  I can't even bend them back, they are so swollen.  Even when I put them up, they go numb.

My blood pressure is on the low side.  I don't eat crazy amounts of salt.  I drink lots of water.  I keep them elevated at work-I stick them on my two drawer file cabinet most of the day.  Any other advice?  It's so disturbing!  They are so ROUND!

Re: Swollen feet

• water, water, water....keep hydrated.
  • Actually, my dr said it's a myth that hydration helps. If your blood pressure is low, the only thing you can really do is keep them elevated as much as possible. 

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Loading the player...
  • This happened with my first.  It's crazy how big they can get!!  Keep them elevated any time possible, even at night if you can.  Rub them or have them rubbed (if you can't reach them anymore) to get the blood and fluids moving.  This helped the most for me.  And keep drinking lots of H2O. 

If it gets really bad have your OB look at them.  Mine made me wear circulation stockings at the end....hope you don't have to do that because it's easier to say to wear them than it is to get them on a swollen pg lady! haha

• I have also read that continuing to exercise helps.  I find that when I walk a lot, they get really swollen, but the days that I go to the gym and do some elliptical work or spinning, they don't swell up.  I don't know why that is, but I am trying to go with it.
  • My feet look the same way and keeping them elevated used to help and now it doesn't as much.  They hurt at night they are so swollen.  My dr said it's normal and to keep drinking water and keep them elevated.  Wish there was something else to do to get rid of them!
  • I'll second trying to get some exercise in (you may already be doing this).

It's uncomfortable for me since I can't walk until I get home from work (my feet are a mess by then), but the days I do my walking, by bedtime they're in better shape than the days I just come home & put my feet up... may be different for each person though?

Beyond that, compression stockings are the only thing that have helped me. They're a pain to get on though, between the difficulty of bending over these days and the tightness of the compression.

FWIW, I've also always had low blood pressure and hydrate well (I've always had to drink lots of water my whole life or I get hypotensive sometimes... my OB was not jazzed to hear that at my first prenatal, lol). I'd been hoping that the swelling would pass me by because of this, but no such luck, darn.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"