School-Aged Children

How do you feel about school ending?

We just ended our final 6 week period and 1st grade has already done their "end of year" program.   The last two years (KG and PreK4), the end of the year has been tough--esp the end of the program for PreK4 and KG graduation (oh so cute) & DC being another year older.  This year, I am sooooo ready for this to be over.  *I* am tired of weekly spelling words, sight words, reading books, etc.  I am sooo ready for summer!  You?

(I haven't gone through DS1's PreK program yet but I am not sure they have one in PreK3, but so far, I am not sad that he is going to PreK4 either).  I imagine I will be a mess again for DS2....

eta:  that should say STARTED our final 6 weeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you feel about school ending?

• Well, the fact that I'm a high school teacher probably has something to do with this, but I always look forward to school ending!  Love my job, but I also love summer vacation.  Today is my last day before spring break, and I can't WAIT to get out of here!

Don't get me wrong -- I get sentimental about end-of-year stuff.  Last year I had both Kindergarten graduation and 5th grade graduation.  "Milestone" years for both my kiddos.  Sigh.

But this year they're in 1st and 6th, and I'm really looking forward to the pool, the beach, camping, doing crafts -- all the stuff we love to do during summer.   

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • DD's on Spring Break this week, and already last night (with no homework to be done) I realized how much I can't wait until summer. I loathe nightly homework and the frustration/whining/battles that come with it. I can't wait to get off of work, pick up my kids, and take them to the park. DD will be in summer camp all summer so there will be no dreamy days of sleeping in or anything, but for sure nights will be easier when homework is out of the equation.
    Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • I am mixed but mostly excited.  Next year is bringing lots of changes to my house.  My older DD is finally starting kindergarten (we held her back last year for a trillion reasons and it was the best decision we ever made but now she is soooo ready adn the getting ready for kindy events have started so she is very excited).  My younger DD is starting PreK so we are almost done with daycare.  She will go to daycare until Mid August (and yes, I am counting the days basically) and then both girls will have 2 weeks off from summer camp programs and then will start kindergarten and PreK.  Part of me is sad to leave my daycare after 6 years but another part is totally excited for both of my girls to start the next phase in education for them both.  I love the PreK teachers and have known them close to 2 years already so it will be sad at this time next year when we are almost done.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • In a lot of ways our lives won't change since the kids are going to camp every day - in fact our commute is going to be worse this summer than during the school year.

We do plan on making the kids read several nights a week and we are going to get some workbooks for them to work on this summer as to not to lose the skills they learned in K. And lunch still has to be packed every day.

But I am happy that they are going to camp and meeting new friends. Last summer they went to camp at their school and were tired of being there/their friends/etc when school started. This year, we learned our lesson.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image-auntie-:

Very bittersweet.

DS graduates from high school.

I will miss the ebb and flow of the school year/summer. While I was always happy to leave behind the workload of his homework and my volunteer positions at school, by August I was happy to start up the band camp routine and take a break from the heavy duty scouting activities. I've been warned that kids are at loose ends between graduation and college and am not looking forward to that.

Big hugs!  I can't imagine being there- DC graduating...  Does your son have any college plans? 

There was a local college that offered an Asperger's program (it was awesome but sadly lost funding).  I enjoyed visiting their home (as part of my employment here).  ps.  I am not suggesting he would need an Asperger's program to go to college.  There are many avenues. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel like we're still pretty far away from school ending, we still have one card marking left.  I'm kind of dreading the end of school craziness, especially with DD starting KG next year ... we'll have end of year stuff and orientations for next year.  I'll be going back to work right around the time that they are finishing up school, which will make things even more crazy.

I don't mind the homework, though.  I at least like having a teacher there to hold us accountable.  I like to/need to keep up with that stuff with DS during the summer and it is really hard with the good weather beckoning us to come outside and play.  I'm sure this will be an issue in another month regardless. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • For us it's sort of a double-bind...  DD has had a rough school year and rarely comes home with anything positive to say about school which is heartbreaking because these are the "Booger picker years" when she's suppose to come home excited.  Her teacher was gone the previous year for maternity leave and it just feels like she never really came back from it for how she engaged the kids plus behavioral issues that started off the school year.  In that respect I'm glad to have the year over.  If not for my DH she would have moved schools already. 

As for two kids, summer break, and the fact that I'm responsible for all of the property for maintenance, not looking forward to that part! DD isn't a real "get your hands dirty" kind of girl...  I'm also not looking forward to what DH will sign her up for without really consulting me yet will expect me to taxi her around for...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"