Pre-School and Daycare
Options

applying sunscreen & bug spray BEFORE going to school?

I just got this emaqil from DD's school: Please apply bug spray and sunscreen to your child BEFORE you leave the house in the morning.  I understand putting on sunscreen before school, but do you think it's too much to put that on and bug spray at 7am. Even if they go out and play late in the morning, I think they would need to reapply. DD has very sensative skin and I worry that putting all of this on will irritate her.

She just started at a new school today and we were spoiled at the last place and they took care of all of this for us.

thanks 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: applying sunscreen & bug spray BEFORE going to school?

• Options

We only have to do this for their summer camp - one week.  Every day?  Nope.  And they do play outside everyday during the regular school year.

Personally, I wouldn't want my kids doused in bug spray that often for that long.   

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    Our old school asked that we apply sunscreen in the morning before school. His new school just asked that we send the spray kind so that application will go faster. However, he still looks like he's getting some sun so I may start applying in the mornings (a lotion based one) myself. We never apply bug spray at school but always do when outdoors at our house (lots of woods and bugs). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've always asked parents to apply sunscreen before school (elementary school) as well as we're not allowed to touch the students to put it on them.  If they bring it to school they have to apply it themselves or their parents have to come in and do it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageluvmagoldn:

Personally, I wouldn't want my kids doused in bug spray that often for that long.   

I agree with this.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't see how it would do any good, as most suns teen needs to be reapplied every 80 mins or so.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ss+elss+el member

I never got the point of this either. DS rarely only goes to daycare 2-4hrs at a time a few times a month, so putting sunscreen on prematurely isn't hurting him. I couldn't imagine if he went all day, putting it on at 6am and expecting it to still be effective at 3pm. Kind of silly.

• Options

where are these kids playing that they need bug spray?  I don't know how I'd feel about that.  I don't like to put any bug spray on DD becuase of all the chemicals, so every day just wouldn't be an option for me.  Doesn't the school reguarly spray their fields and stuff?

As for the suntan lotion, I put it on every morning and send an extra tube for mid day application.  We're specifically asked to in the summer, but I've started putting some suntan lotion on her in the mornings now because it's getting sunny and warm out. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    rsd12rsd12 member
    Never had to use bug spray at school, but over the summer the kids need it daily at home. But think it is the norm for sunblock at preschool and the elementary schools to apply before school. I send my oldest with a tube of sunblock that he can apply to himself (to cover a facial scar) and his kindergarten teacher just reminds him. I did need to sign something at preschool, but it was to protect a healing scar (medical reason) and the teachers did help, but they were not suppose to. But I would consider an all natural bug spray if you are concerned or just spray the clothing.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options

Unless my children were playing in a super buggy area, I would skip the bug spray. 

My childrens' school does apply sunscreen to the children before any outdoor play.  We have to bring in the sunscreen and fill out a form giving the school permission to apply the sunscreen.  I still put sunscreen on them in the morning before they leave.  My kids are super fair and burn easily, so I'm extra paranoid and don't think the teachers are as thorough as I am. 

Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Options
    This is actual very, very common and I know I need to do it for both of my girls summer programs plus for the daycamp my older DD will be at.  Plus the stuff that I have to bring to school for them to use to reapply in the afternoon has to be lotion, no sprays.  At my daycare, we actually can pay a small fee at the beginning of the summer and then use a sunscreen that they provide but if your child has sensitive skin or you prefer to bring your own you can.  At my older DD's program (kids going into kindy) and at summer camp, they have to bring their own lotion and the kids have to put it on themselves although the teachers will assist.  It is a long process for the teachers to do the lotion as they have to wear gloves and they have to switch them out between kids for safety reasons so they really (at both programs) work with the kids to learn to do it themself.  My kids are outside by 10am so I have no issue putting it on at drop off (we do it at school and use what we have at school so we add a few extra mins to drop off time but then we know its on closer to when they go outside).
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    imagess+el:

I never got the point of this either. DS rarely only goes to daycare 2-4hrs at a time a few times a month, so putting sunscreen on prematurely isn't hurting him. I couldn't imagine if he went all day, putting it on at 6am and expecting it to still be effective at 3pm. Kind of silly.

At most schools, the kids put it on at home in the morning and then its reapplied at school in the afternoon before they go out again - it is just saving time in the mornings.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

We are asked to put sunscreen on in the mornings and then the teachers reapply in the afternoons.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"