June 2012 Moms

advice please!!!!

i have a question if anybody can give me advice ill REALLY appriciate it!!!!!!!!

im 8months preggo with my first baby , and ive only HAD around 6 ob appointments o.O i see everybody saying good thangs about their ob visits but i honestly havent had half of what you guys have had done , my ob sets an appointment a month or goes a monh with out seeing me if i call she talks but not doesnt see me always has "vacations" or something...

so i guess to cut it to the chase sould i change to a diff ob?

if i change to a diff ob will they do EVERYTHANG over again?

should i be concerned about not seeing her monthly?

Re: advice please!!!!

• Yes i think you should be concerned.  I started seeing my OB every 2 weeks at 28 weeks and go to every week at 36 weeks.  Everyone is different, but it should be more than monthly at some point.

Pregnancy is hard and scary and you should feel comfortable with your doctor, especially because he/she will be making some crucial decisions in your path to birth.  Personally i would not accept it. 

Having said that....i think i read from other posts about how hard it is to get another doctor to take you this late in the game?  but i could be totally wrong.

Good luck......................

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have had 6 appointments, as well.  My first wasn't until 10 weeks and then it was every 4-5 weeks since then.  At this point, we should be starting the every 2 week appointments, but I asked if we could go 3 weeks.  I am in perfect health - no GD, no pre-e, weight gain on track, no swelling, no history of PTL.  My midwife is comfortable taking a more laid back approach.  I will also try to delay the weekly appointments as long as possible.  But, I feel very confident in the care I am receiving.

I assume you've had all the initial bloodwork, GTT, and ultrasounds, right?  When your OB doesn't want to see you - are you seen by a nurse practitioner or a midwife?  Or have you gone a full two months without being seen? 

How do you feel about her otherwise?  Have you discussed your birth plan with her?  Is she on the same page? 

If you are feeling uncomfortable with the care you're receiving, then you probably already have your answer.  You can switch OBs at any point, so there's no harm in looking around.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd switch.. I was really sick in first tri and saw my OB at his request every 2 weeks, starting at finding out we were prego at 4 weeks, up until 18 weeks, He would call on the weeks we didn't see him to see how I was doing, and gave me his personal cell number right off the bat to get ahold of him if I needed to. We see him now that everything is fine every 3 weeks. I'm a FTM too, and I'd freak if I didn't see him for months at a time!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would talk to her first and address your concerns and if nothing changes then i'd switch. You shouldn't have to do everything over again. Your new OB would jsut need to request your records be sent over (which can take up to 10 days) and there might be a small fee involved if you go to a different network of doctors.

Is there another doctor in the practice you might be able to see?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• I only went every month until 29 weeks, so it doesn't sound that unusual if you've had a normal healthy pregnancy.  Have your tests been normal, and have you asked your OB what the visit schedule will be moving forward?
  • I'm a FTM also. I've gone in about every 4 weeks since week 8(and that appointment was an accident. We didn't know we were pregnant and were actually doing an US to see if I had a good folicle and could receive my injection). My doc says that as long as everything is good (glucose test, weight gain, no bleeding, etc) that we can stretch it out until about the last month. Then I'll prob do every other week until I reach my due date.

I am fortunate enough to have complete faith in my practitioner. I've been a patient of her's for 15 years, and she has never steered me wrong. However, if you don't have confidence in the care you are being given, you'll be more stressed during labor and delivery. Talk to your caregiver. If your issues are not addressed or you are dismissed, find a new doctor... quickly.
    IAmPregnant Ticker image BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"