Pre-School and Daycare

Transitioning from home daycare to a center...

My son (4 years last week) has been at in home daycare since he was born. This week was his first week at a "preschool based center" He goes full time. When I checked out the center the first 2 times there were plenty of staff and order. When I picked him up the 1st day there were kids taking METAL buckets and throwing them down the tunnel slide on the playground. One kid took a bunch of the playground "chips" on the ground and and dumpted them on anothers head, all within 5 minutes of me observing when I was picking my son up his first day. There was one instructer out there just watching and not doing anything. I didnt want to make a rucus on our first day so I didnt say anything.

His second day was better when I picked him up, but on the way home I asked how his day was and he said " they were mean" "they try to fight me and throw dirt in my face". Now I think my son is already being bullied. I called the center right away and they pretty much said that all kids over-react and that I am pregnant and they understand pregnant hormones.

This morning he did not want to go to school and cried the entire way there. I am so worried for him. I know he is going to have to deal with structure and mean kids sometime but I dont think he should have to start dealing with bullies at this age. I dont want him to be scared to go to daycare. Normally he plays with kids just fine.

Do I just need to give it more time? Am I overreacting?? What would you do?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Transitioning from home daycare to a center...

• I'd bring up the throwing dirt in his face with the school (that behavior is unacceptable in my opinion) but overall I would give it a little more time.  He's only been there a week, and it's an adjustment for him as well as the other kids in his class.  Give him some time to make friends and get to know everyone. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"