TTC after 35

Weight training/working out and TTC?

Just wanted to know if anyone had done any research or had opinions on strength training and running while TTC. I thought as long as I didn't see a change in my cycle and I was at a healthy body weight and fat percentage it would be a good idea, but both my doctor and RE said the increased heart rate could effect my chances, but neither were really interested in helping me find a conclusive answer or solution. We had a loss 9/09, but didn't start TTC again until 8/11 (waited until we were married <3). We've been trying to conceive now through 8 cycles ...5 with working out and 3 without...so maybe the working out wasn't a problem?

I worked so hard the last 2 years and watching the muscle go away is so upsetting!  Plus, what if I do get pregnant, will I be too out of shape to start back up without risking the pregnancy?

End of rant...thanks for your opinions and support.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Weight training/working out and TTC?

• I don't know your specific barriers to getting KU, but I can say that my doc wanted me to get back into my exercise routine because my extra weight may be hurting my success. But with my fibromyalgia and arthritis, I've just been in too much pain to do more than work my shifts and maybe take the dog for a walk (I'm not on any meds for the diseases because they're not compatible with TTC/pregnancy).

So going on what my doc says, I'm guessing exercise is healthy-- but again, I have no idea how much your workouts stress your heart rate and what may be a barrier for you... Usually, being fitter means you have a lower resting heart rate. When I was at my fittest, my HR was below 60, so when I worked out, my highest HR was still within the normal range. 

Have you asked the RE about working out with a HR monitor on so that you can keep your HR within a specific range? It may not get you back to where you were, but it might help prevent you from losing any more muscle mass/fitness...

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• I know how you feel.  I am a distance runner and really miss running with my running group.  I would typically do 20-25 miles a week, with 8-10 mile runs on Saturday mornings.  Since TTC, I cut that back to doing 3-6 mile runs, then stopped running all together since I started my IVF cycle in March.  My RE only wanted me doing 3-5 miles at a time.  I was also a gym rat and would do weights at lunch time then would run in the evenings.  I have given all of that up.  I will probably just switch to doing long walks in the evenings.  I hope that it will all be worth it in the end.

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• Loading the player...
  • I was told by both my acupuncturist and my RE to stop all excercise except for walks around the block when I started my IVF cycle.  I don't know the research behind it but this cycle I am doing what the doctors say and not stressing out doing too much research on my own.

It is really hard to know what to do.  I have put great effort into being thin but I guess that I just need to know that I have been too thin then chubby then just right and now back to chubby and if I did all of that before, I can do it again (except for the too thin part, I am not doing that again).

The good news is that my plastic surgeon told me that ladies that get pregnant after 35 don't get as many stretch marks.  He said that he would be surprised if I had any after examining my skin.

BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageCountry Girl in the City:

The good news is that my plastic surgeon told me that ladies that get pregnant after 35 don't get as many stretch marks.  He said that he would be surprised if I had any after examining my skin.

Now THAT is some news I can get excited about! I was bummed a few years ago to see stretch marks from gaining weight really quickly over a short time-- so this is good to hear! I don't need any more than I've got.

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• This topic is always on my mind. I too am a runner. I don't lift weights but I do toning exercises. We've been TTC since 12/10, initially I kept up all activities because I thought best to be healthy, right? After started seeing RE in last Nov. diagnosed DOR I did begin to cut back and we got PG in Dec. naturally! I miscarried though. Since the new year I have been back and forth. I did lessen my running mileage and am doing more walking instead. Also more swimming, since it is less stressful. But I am finding that I don't feel as fit as I like. We are gearing up for IVF next cycle (as long as recent cyst goes away) so I guess I will be sticking to the walking for a while yet. 

Me 37 DH 40 TTC since 1/11 DOR AMH .34 DH S/A Great BFP 12/11! MC 1/12 IUI #1 2/12 BFN. IUI #2 3/12 BFN. IUI #3 4/12 BFN IVF #1 5/12 BFP! DD 2/13/12
  • I think at the end of the day it's everything in moderation. I can't imagine it's healthy to just drop staying in shape, especially as we get a little older (and better in my opinion). But my RE has also said minimal exercise during ovulation and no exercise during the TWW. I used to run 4-5 miles a few times a week and yoga  a few times a week and then switched jobs and only worked out minimally for a few months and that's when we got our suprise bfp but at the end of the day I have no idea if that contributed to it or not. After that m/c my iron was very low for a few months so I took it very easy, I still haven't found a happy balance w/ my current job.  I think everyone needs to do what keeps them happy and healthy but again as long as it's in moderation. This TTC journey is difficult enough w/out feeling like crap about yourself, feeling strong is very empowering.
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Everyone- thank you so much for the feedback. It makes me feel better to know that many of us have to sacrifice our "health" to be healthy enough to get KU. I have been walking, but I guess I can hold off doing anything else for the next 2 weeks. Next cycle though its back to some weights...I miss the muscles in my thighs and arms! I'll just keep my HR down.

Thanks again for your experiences...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with MrsNukem.  My ob/gyn first told me to cut back on my running (I was running half marathons regularly).  She said 5 miles is the longest run I should do while TTC.  All of my health care providers from my PCP to acupuncturist, ob/gyn and RE have recommended yoga and walking.  My DH and I walk almost every night and that has helped (mentally and physically) but I too really miss my running.  I just remind myself what the priority is right now and running will still be there after baby. :)

Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"