Health & Exercise
Options

29 wks. Is it possible to keep up routine till the very end??

Hi all, I am in my 29th week and this past week or so I've started to really have a lot of pain around the muscles in my pelvis and pubic area. It's not cramping or anything. It just really hurts to walk when I first start out especially. It kind of feels like there's a tight band holding my inner thighs and pelvis together. I've been taking baths every night which brings a little relief. I REALLY love working out and its been a part of my whole pregnancy. I haven't tried adding anything-just doing the normal routine, and lessening the intensity as I get more pregnant. Is this just part of the last 10 weeks?  Am I going to have to switch to swimming and yoga? Did anyone else do their normal routine till the end? 

BabyFetus Ticker image

Re: 29 wks. Is it possible to keep up routine till the very end??

• Options

It is possible but listen to your body.  That's about the point that I cut way back on my exercise.  I worked as a personal trainer until 26 weeks, and kept doing my gym routine for a week or two after that.  That last trimester I felt tired and uncomfortable so I ended up just walking and doing yoga type bodyweight exercises.

If you are having pain, try cutting back for a few days to see if it helps.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I did with my first pregnancy.  I did a step aerobics video tape on the morning before my LO was born.  I second the advice of listen to your body.  I know what you're talking about with the weighty tight feeling at the base of the bump.  Sometimes I just wouldn't bounce as much and would modify the moves to low impact.  Sometimes I would be feeling fine, but would feel my heart rate start to get really really fast, and I would just march in place.  I found that the elliptical machine and spinning classes were actually more comfortable.  As my pregnancy progressed into the late third trimester, the hardest part about going on a walk was that I always felt like I had to pee and would panic about finding a bathroom, so I liked to keep my workouts at the gym or at home.  Listen to your body and modify accordingly, but keeping it up until the end is good for you and the baby.  Maybe it was a coincidence, but I only gained 20 lbs, didn't get that end-of-the-pregnancy swelling, and had an easy and quick labor.  There's also been studies that the cardiovascular benefits of your exercise are shared with your baby.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I worked out with a trainer until two days before delivery. I felt great, but there were definitely days that I had to scale it back a bit or modify specific moves to suit my comfort level. Try taking the level down for a few days, but I wouldn't assume that pain would be the norm for the next 10 weeks. It might just be a temporary thing.
    Baby E: July 3, 2009 Baby M: February 22, 2012
  • Options
    I have had to change a few things (running makes my lower pelvis too uncomfortable for example), but I am almost 38 weeks and still going to the gym 5 days a week. I do spin class twice a week, work out with my trainer weekly, do intervals on the treadmill, etc. My stamina and pace have certainly gone down, but it is definitely possible to maintain a good routine!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageDevonPow:
    I have had to change a few things (running makes my lower pelvis too uncomfortable for example), but I am almost 38 weeks and still going to the gym 5 days a week. I do spin class twice a week, work out with my trainer weekly, do intervals on the treadmill, etc. My stamina and pace have certainly gone down, but it is definitely possible to maintain a good routine!

Your my motivation to keep going with my routine!! I am sure it only gets harder but as long as I get to the gym! I love spin classes too!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think its def most important to just listen to your body. Just this past week I noticed a big difference in my endurance and stamina. Up until week 26 I was running on the treadmill for a few miles. And then one day I ran for 15 min then took yoga and the next day my inner thighs were in so much pain - and that's something I had done many times previously. I used to do yoga 2x a week plus running and other cardio 3x a week and then just recently started doing yoga 3x a week and lower intensity cardio. For instance, tonight I did the eliptical for 10 min before yoga class and was sweating so much! Certain days I think we can do more!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been doing Zumba and Zumba toning my entire pregnancy.  Around 6 months I cut it down from 3 to 2 times per week for an hour each only because my birth class conflicted with my Zumba.  I make sure to drink water between each song and stand near a fan.  And it really hasn't been bad at all!  I modified it a bit to make it not so quite high impact (bouncing instead of jumps, etc), but my friends say they don't notice much difference.  I'm planning to continue for 3 more weeks until 36 weeks and then transition to prenatal Yoga or swimming only because DH has exams during week 37 and I don't want to do anything that might encourage baby to come early.  I'm taking it one week at a time but so far, I have not had much joint pain or anything.

• Options
    Agree with listen to your body comments... Some days I felt faint after 10 mins other days, I could do 40. I worked out right up to delivery, but kept it light the last week or two. Whatever feels comfortable. I did muscle work but stayed away from pressuring the pelvic area. One of my friends did some hip abduction exercises and breast stroke swimming and it was bad news, so keep simple movements and light weights. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"