June 2012 Moms

Can you tell where the baby is?

Lately he has been pushing out alot in different places in my belly.  I can feel him but can't tell what body parts they are.   Sometimes they are small, so I'm guessing fist or foot.  But alot of times its a big hard spot, so I don't know if its head, back, butt???

I go for an US on Monday so I will ask then, but I am impatient so help me out if you can! :) 

BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy

Re: Can you tell where the baby is?

• BRBR member
    I know a lot of others can, but I can never tell!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This post makes me feel so much better! I was just telling DH yesterday I don't know how women know what is what with baby. I don't know if it's his foot kicking or his fist hitting... Like you, I know where he is, just not what it is lol
    imagePhotobucket width="180px"> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told if you can feel the lump of the baby's head or butt, you can tell the difference by pushing on it.  If just the bump moves, it's probably the head, if the whole body moves, it's probably the butt.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• I can tell when her butt is pushed out towards me( on the outside) and I can tell the difference between punches and being "kneed" (that's not a word I realize) ... I can tell how she is positioned but I couldn't tell you " oh thats her left arm or her right."  But I have general ideas yes where she is. It's too hard to know specifics!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageAshleyR711:
    I can tell when her butt is pushed out towards me( on the outside) and I can tell the difference between punches and being "kneed" (that's not a word I realize) ... I can tell how she is positioned but I couldn't tell you " oh thats her left arm or her right."  But I have general ideas yes where she is. It's too hard to know specifics!

How can you tell the difference between punches and knees?? 

BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy
  • I couldn't tell with DD until a little bit later.  But U/S confirmed that #2 is sitting in the same position. Usually the butt comes up to one side or another and just hangs out there eventually.  Mine is on the right, underneath of my ribs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm assuming Baby is head down, as I feel his hiccups waaaaay down below my bump.  And I feel a lot of pressure on my ribs-it's hard to breathe-so I think he pushes up with his feet.  I also feel really sharp jabs on my lower right side, and was told this weekend by a relative that it's his elbow.  I didn't even consider those jabs in the middle of my stomach might be his knees.

I could be totally off, but his hiccups so low really make me think he's head down.  I haven't had an ultrasound since early 20's week, so I have no idea other than this speculation. 

• I'm having better luck this time than I did with my other 2, but I'm still pretty 'turned around'. LO has been head down for my last 2 appointments, and I can feel hiccups a few times a day really low down, so I assume he's still head down. Knowing that, I can usually identify his butt (the other hard lump), and then from there his back (sometimes). But in terms of punches or kicks, I have no idea! Sometimes he moves so much, in multiple different spots that I'm convinced he must have 6 arms to do so!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I was at the dr last week, I had a hard spot near my belly button. I asked the dr & she said it could be a knee.
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • I do the same thing as you...I just guess. Unless you're a trained professional, I'm not sure you would be able to tell.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • At last week's appointment, I had a really hard patch on my right side.  I thought it was her back.  The MW thought maybe it could be the back, but when she checked for a HB, she didn't pick it up there, but on the leftside. 

I am now chalking up those hard spots as my uterus getting Braxton Hicks.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it depends a bit on where your little munchkin is located.  My boy has been head down for the last 6 weeks or so, his back is always pressed into my right side, and his butt is packed underneath my ribs.  I think that once you locate the back, it's pretty easy to determine whether yours is head up or head down.  

A few appointments ago, my midwives palpated for his head and then showed me how to do it.  Laying on my back, I use my four fingers to press (kind of hard) into the the soft part of my belly right above the pelvic bone.  You have to push pretty hard, but at one point I could easily feel a very hard bump that was much harder than the bump underneath my ribs.  That's what tells you it's a head rather than a butt.   

Another thing that's helpful is laying back and "kneading" your belly side to side (as though the belly is a huge lump of dough). If the baby's back is facing more toward your belly than your back, it's pretty easy to tell.  When you press on each side, you'll feel one side that is really soft and feels "empty".  That's where your babies legs and arms are folded up.  Another side will be much harder and firm.  When you compare sides, it's much more obvious where the back is and where the front of the body is.  

Lastly, spinningbabies.com is a great resource.  Check out the belly mapping section.  It's super helpful in my opinion.

Have fun! 

• At my last 2 visits I she has been head down...her feet are by my right rib...she hasn't moved too much as far as I can tell.  There is no way I could have figured this out if they didn't tell me at the Dr.'s though.  I have just started feeling her kicking me in the ribs.  
    Alison & Britten-Married April 16, 2011 in Miami Beach Farrah Ann arrived May 4, 2012- 6 weeks early! 5 lbs 6 oz. and 19 1/4 inches Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I thought for sure a few weeks ago that the baby turned head down. I felt a lot of "dragging" for a while and then instead of feeling kicks or punches on either side, I was feeling sharp jabs up under my rib cage on my left side and around mid and lower belly. My OB confirmed at my appointment last week that the baby is head down. I can tell that his back is out and to the right side of my belly button. I also feel his hiccups very, very low in my pelvis.

Knowing those things, I can only assume that the jabs I feel under my ribs, on the left side are his feet. The ones mid and lower belly are knees, hands, or elbows. I'm guessing when I feel pressure around the middle of my ribs, it's his bum. Then I have also felt as if he is stretching out, where I've felt some pressure down low in my pelvis and at the same time, a jab into the left side of my ribs, then they both relax (I can see my belly pushing out on opposite sides and then kind of spring back).

Like a PP said, you can definitely tell by feeling around (with some pressure) which side of your belly is empty (has arms and legs in it) and which side their back is on. That's assuming they are head down. I had a friend that knew her baby was Frank breech all along (feet up at the head, bum down) because she only ever felt jabs in her ribs - she never felt anything lower.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"