North Carolina Babies
Options

Insurance Question...

Would someone please help me? 

I'm more than a little confused about the whole insurance ordeal.  

Background:  DH and I have seperate health insurance.  We will put the baby on his health plan b/c it's cheaper (and just as good as mine).  I believe we have up to 30 days after the baby is born  to add the baby to DH's plan.  Does this take place in the hospital?  Does DH do it after his 2 weeks of leave? 

Another question is...when we take the baby to the Pediatrician in the first few days (and if we haven't added the baby to the plan by then) who does the Dr. charge?  

This baby stuff is hard...there really needs to be a class!

Thanks ladies!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Insurance Question...

• Options
    I believe with my insurance the infant is automatically covered the first 30 days, but the insurance is all under my name.?
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Options
    Has your DH talked to his HR person? DH went ahead and filled out most of the stuff, and then he just called HR a couple days after Maddie was born so they could get it submitted. When we went to the pedi the first few times, they wrote on our chart to hold all charges until we got our insurance card, and then they filed them with our insurance. I'm sure all pedis do this, since I think it is pretty standard to have 30 days to add your DC!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DH would fill out and submit the paperwork any time after birth up until 30 days after.  For the first month, they held the bills at our pedi office until we got the insurance information and then billed them.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ditto everyone else.  Your DH can probably fill out most of the paperwork now, but even if he waits until he goes back to work after 2 weeks, it will be ok.  He has 30 days to add him.

MAKE SURE THE HOSPITAL KNOWS THE BABY WILL BE ON DH'S PLAN AND HAS HIS INFORMATION!  Most likely, your insurance will pay for all the delivery charges, but if there is something that the baby needs to be treated for, they will inevitably charge it to the wrong insurance.  I informed the hospital, and they still got it wrong, but a few phone calls cleared everything up.

And the pedis office will either just take your DH's card for the first appts, or will hold off on billing until you can provide them with a card.  Again, it's not a big deal, and even if they don't you can just not pay the bill and call them later with his information.

We're still clearing things up between mine and DH's insurance 10 months later.  And no one's come after us for any money, they're used to dealing with the insurance crap.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Shew,

Thanks ladies...that's one thing off my list of "to-do's"!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"