January 2011 Moms

falling sleep?

How does your LO fall asleep for the night? For naps?

Our nighttime routine is dinner, bath (or hand washing), pajamas, story, nursing, (or nursing then story), sippy cup with water, crib.

She gets out of the bathtub and shrieks while we put pajamas on as if she'll never be fed. If she's almost totally asleep or ridiculously exhausted, she just goes to sleep when she gets into her crib. But most nights she starts screaming, DH goes in to give her more water, and some nights she'll go to sleep right after. But then there are nights like last night where it took an hour of each of us going in to calm her down and me eventually rocking her almost to sleep. We think she is too old for this but our friends with kids mostly have weird sleep stuff too (one falls asleep easily but wakes up a lot, another will only fall asleep on a bed with a parent lying next to him, etc.) So I was curious what the range of normal is.

For naps, it's even worse. She either falls asleep in her stroller or car seat or if it's at home, I have to hold her while she flails around until she settles down (and even if she is clearly exhausted this happens). But for naps, I know I need to be better about a schedule.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13

Re: falling sleep?

• Naps - diaper change, crib, paci & lovey, the end.

Night time - diaper change, sippy of milk, crib, paci & lovey, the end.

DD has been a very uncuddly baby from the beginning. There is no rocking her to sleep option. Sometimes we hear her messing around in there for a while, but as long as she's not crying, we leave her be and she eventually dozes off.

We don't do baths anywhere near sleeping times. She's a total crab if you try to bathe her when she's tired.

• Naps-  Diaper change, paci, lovey - he sometimes lays right down - other times he fights it

Bedtime - Dinner, bath, pajamas, milk in sippy if he will take it, a little cuddling & rocking and then into the crib with pacifier & lovey

He usually goes to sleep pretty easily.  I've discovered we need to get out of sight from his room to get him to settle down.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not going to win MOTY here, because my LO goes down for naps and bed witha  bottle.

I know, I know.

• Naps: Diaper change, take her up to crib, say "time for nap, Ni Ni!" and she goes right down.

Bedtime: Bath around 6pm, then a snack, a little quite play, at 7ish we brush teeth, read 3 books, give kisses, say Ni Ni and she's out.

I'd have to write a book to describe Aiden's bed/nap time at the age. In reality it's only a little better now. We totally F'd up our first kids sleep routine. I mean he sleeps great, but getting him to go down was another story.

I miss cuddling with Em like we always did Aiden, but she's obviously so much better off for it. 

• Naps: Turn music on, give her stuffed bunny, lay in crib, give her mini cat pillow pet, cover up with blanket - She falls asleep immediately or talks herself to sleep.

Night:  Same routine except we do diaper change, PJ's, and cup of milk before above routine happens.

She does not cuddle, so rocking never works.  She'll STTN 95% of the time.

• Ugh! This makes me feel like a terrible mom! (Though very happy for all of your good fortune.) Clearly her sleep behavior is not normal.

The question I left out: Did you let your LO CIO to get to this point?

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • imageRedZee:

This is how things went for us:

For night time, when she was a newborn she would not go to sleep for me. I think she smelled the BM on me. DH swayed her to sleep every night and after every night waking. After 2-3 weeks, he got tired of that and one night just laid her down instead. She went to sleep. It was a farking miracle. It felt weird because you always hear about people rocking their babies to sleep, that's just how you do it, right? Apparently our kid didn't get the memo. I'm sure our next one will be much more difficult. I know this doesn't help you now. I just wanted to share that the rocking wasn't something she grew out of... she just never grew into it.

Naps were MUCH harder. She napped in her swing for the first 6-7 months. When it was time to transition out of there, we tried Ferber and it was an epic fail. We ended up doing CIO instead. The first few days were really rough, then it got much better. It was about 2-3 weeks better she went down without crying at all. Now she just hangs out in there for a bit, or goes right to sleep.

• Naps are worse for us then bed. Naps - diaper change, turn sleepy time bear on, bed. Sometimes he will fight it and cry others he goes right down. Bed - pjs book, cup of milk, sleepy time bear, bed he will lay right down and go to sleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRedZee:

Ugh! This makes me feel like a terrible mom! (Though very happy for all of your good fortune.) Clearly her sleep behavior is not normal.

We did CIO but DD made it easy.  If she was screaming for an hour I probably would have caved.  It was only 20 minutes, good thing DH is strong, he was helpful with this.  Like SweetH, I never really rocked DD.  Her nighttime bottles were giving while sitting on the couch then I'd just lay her back down.

Now, I'll still let her CIO if I know I've met all her needs and she still won't sleep for me.  However, now she has two cries, fussing & screaming bloody murder.  If she is screaming bloody murder I know she will never CIO, but if she is fussing chances are she will fall asleep.

It doesn't make you a terrible mom!  Every LO is different.  I'm sure #2 will be horrible as an infant since DD was so easy. 

• Naps: I still keep LO in his pjs until his nap. It's usually around 10am but I think it helps to keep him in sleepy mode. It goes: diaper change, sleepsack over pjs, sippy of milk while in glider with blankie, rock for a bit, lay down and he usually talks or fusses himself to sleep. Takes up to a half hour some days. 

Bedtime: dinner, play for a few, bath, screaming crying while putting on pjs and sleepsack, sippy of milk while in glider with blankie, lay in crib. He will usually go to sleep within 20 minutes but the last few nights he was again screaming bloody murder. Last night I went in, gave advil, rocked him, laid him down. Screaming bloody murder, DH went in rocked him and he fell asleep. I think it's the molars.

As for sleep training, we did the Extinction Method from Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child at about 7 or 8 months old I think. It worked like a charm for nighttime but naps have always been rough for us. Now I only get that morning one for about an hour (sometimes less, sometimes more) but the afternoon one is usually him crying or talking in his crib for up to an hour. This one I am not rigid with as no matter how hard I try he doesn't sleep anyway so what's the use?! But per the extinction method, for naps I'm ok with him crying/fussing for the full hour as long as it's not screaming bloody murder.

• Night- put baby gate up, turn on air purifier (for white noise), put on pj's/change diaper, ready approx 6-7 board books, put books away, sit in bed, read 2 night-time books, give a drink of water, hugs/kisses, lay down in bed, turn off light and say goodnight. Then I leave the room. I do the same thing every night, in the same order.

He is now STTN. I used the Sleep Easy Solution book (not CIO), but has some similarities. 

For naps on w/e we are usually out and about, so he will fall asleep in the car and I will put him in his toddler bed asleep. If not asleep already we follow a variation of the above.  His day care has structured activities/ nap time during the week.

• I should add bedtime routine starts at 7pm every night, routine takes about 20 min. Naps are generally 12-3.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"