Postpartum Depression
Options

breastfeeding moms taking prozac 20mg

My dr prescribed me fluoxetine 20 mg yesterday for depression, he said it was fine to take while breastfeeding but i read alot of stories about behavier problems in their babies while taking it... i am suppose to start taking it this morning. my son is 3 months old. how were your babies when you took/take it? did you see a difference in their behaiver? ugh now i dont know what to do.

Re: breastfeeding moms taking prozac 20mg

• Options
    My doctor originally wanted to put me on prozac but didn't because I was nursing. I would talk to the pharmaist. They can look up all the different studies and give you a recommendation.
  • Options

From what I have been told by my OB was to wait to take prozac until after I am done breastfeeding.

I was orginally on prozac before my pregnancy and actually was in the process of weaning off of it 2 weeks before I actually conceived. I have been battling now with extreme bouts of depression/anxiety and have considered taking prozac again, now while still pregnant. My OB has warned me about the effects it can have on the baby during and after pregnancy and HIGHLY recommends that I do not take any anti-depressants until after I am done with breastfeeding.

I think it depends on your doctor but I am adhering to his advice and I'm just trying to deal with things one day at a time.  

My 36 week photo image Jared Ryu imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"