Military Families

Waitlisted for on base housing..

Hi,

My husband and I just got on the wait list for base housing at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. Any other military families out there that can offer up some advice?

I am preg with our first baby, Due May 4th, and our check in date for Belvoir is June 1st. (we're currently stationed in Bethesda, MD, so it's just a short move for us, luckily). My husband is active duty Navy, E-3. We qualified for a 3 bedroom place in Belvoir. 

We are #129 on the wait list and I don't know what that means. Is that 129 overall, or 129 of all similar ranks with the same move in date? I'm so confused and the housing office is not much help at all. Has anyone else moved there recently? How long did you have to wait? I wonder if we're going to have to move into an off base apartment and wait for a house to open up... I hope not.

Also; how do you know which villages are available for move ins? if there are choices will they give us a choice if something opens up? Georgewashington Village vs. Herryford village for example?

Any help would be great. Thank you! this is our first experience with base housing, and when we PCS'd to bethesda we ended up just having to find an apartment off base and the area and the apartment were pretty crappy. 

-Rachel (finally pregnant again with our 1st! - Due May 6th, 2012)

Re: Waitlisted for on base housing..

• I can't so much help with housing but I was recently there for a short TDY. They are hugely expanding the base and I'm sure wait lists are bound to get really long as they add more and more personnel to the base.  I personally would look for something off post.

CJ 05/29/2013

• I would start looking in to off post housing. Find a realtor and see if they can help you with good homes near daycares or schools depending on what you need.

We just left Norfolk VA a year ago, and housing was not an option for us! The wait was about 2 years when we were moving there. Also if you play it right you could find housing for less than your BAH is and it would be a little extra cash in your pocket with the baby on the way! :o)

Good Luck! Keep your options open and maybe you cna call the housing office and ask them what they mean by #129? sound like your #129 on the list for 3 bedroom houses.

:o)

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Loading the player...
  • DH and I are headed to the same base and we pretty much have the same reporting  dates as you. Once I saw how long the wait list was I started searching off base. The housing office was very helpful (sorry that you didn't have the same experience) and provided a list of local realtors that have been helping me find homes. Would you like a copy of the list? 

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• The waitlist is confusing. In the Air Force. You are placed on a waiting list based on the type of house you are waiting for, but more variables come into play. At our last base we were number 10 on the list for 2 bedroom JR Enlisted housing and were offered a house the next day. The people 1-9 were still locked into leased off base and couldn't accept a house so they kept moving down the list until someone was available to accept.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Personally, I'd be looking at apartments off post. Your are currently 129 of those waiting for junior enlisted/three bedrooms. Don't get married to that number, though--it will change. Sometimes you'll go lower (yeah!) but there will be times that you go up (boo!). There are various service members who will come in with priority. For instance, when we got on the housing list at Belvoir, my DH had just returned from 15 months training/deployment. We were placed on the list with people who'd gotten on the list 15 months prior--thus bumping anyone who'd signed in 14 months or less back a spot.

Since you are close enough, looking for apartments around Fort Belvoir will be easy enough. If possible, have your DH ask those in his gaining unit/shop for suggestions of where to look and tips about which gates are busier.

Best of luck with planning the move and also with the impending arrival of your little one!
  • We are currently in the process of getting on the waitling list at Camp Lejeune for base housing. It is a 1-6 month waiting list. Can the office offer a ball park in months for you? We really want to live on base so we are looking into furnished apartments while we wait while our things remain in storage, that way we don't have to move twice. Good luck, I know how much of a pain it is! We will be there 3 years so for us it's worth the hassle for a few months.
  • imagekfdecarie:

I would start looking in to off post housing. Find a realtor and see if they can help you with good homes near daycares or schools depending on what you need.

We just left Norfolk VA a year ago, and housing was not an option for us! The wait was about 2 years when we were moving there. Also if you play it right you could find housing for less than your BAH is and it would be a little extra cash in your pocket with the baby on the way! :o)

Good Luck! Keep your options open and maybe you cna call the housing office and ask them what they mean by #129? sound like your #129 on the list for 3 bedroom houses.

:o)

Completely agree.  We were waitlisted at Kirtland in Albuquerque and even though we were only #47 they told us it could be up to a year before there was a spot.  

And sometimes you can find a place for a little less than your BAH, which is always nice!  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"