June 2012 Moms

Making plans after delivery

My husband's family emailed this week about planning a beach day in July. LO should be at least 6 weeks and it took me a minute to realize...yes, we can go to the beach! We'll just have to remember the umbrella, baby sunblock and many other items.

After we agreed to the date, I realized baby won't be the only one not going in the water. I think 6 weeks post pardum I probably will not be comfortable in a bathingsuit, even if it's a one peice...

Has anyone else started making plans for when you will have a new baby in tow?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Making plans after delivery

• You could buy a cute coverup and at least wade in to your knees!

I'm due on the 20th, and DD's 3rd bday is July 10th. We wanted to take her to a zoo or something special for her birthday, so I'm not sure how well I'll feel with all of that walking, but I'll figure it out! :-) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BRBR member
    I have a family reunion at the beach around 5 weeks after my due date.  I think I'll be fine wearing a bathing suit, but am worried about still bleeding and having to wear a pad.  I guess I'll have to see how it goes.  I will definitely wear a cover up like the pp said.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just buy a wrap to cover your midsection.  Everyone knows you just had a baby.  FYI - The recommendation is usually no sunblock until 6 months.  I started a little earlier with DD, since I use a zinc oxide ONLY physical sunblock.   Also, babies can be really heat sensitive, so have a back up plan.  Our first beach trip was at 6 months and it was a TOTAL fail.  Though, others have had more success.

As for plans after delivery, I have a lot more this time than I did with #1.  I now have to entertain a toddler all summer, so I think this LO is going to be living in the sling.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't made any plans yet for this summer. But with my last baby, we went to the beach for a week when he was 9 weeks old. It was definately tougher than I anticipated. Just tired and hot since I didn't do much water since I was holding or feeding the baby alot of the time. But it was nice to break up the home routine. I was in a bathing suit, I wouldn't say it was attractive, but it did the job. And I wore a coverup alot. I didn't go in the water much, so I just stuck to sitting under the umbrella with the baby. Good luck and enjoy a little post baby vacation.
    SAHM to DD (2007) DS (2009), DD (2012), loss #4 (Feb 2017 at 16 wks)
  • We have a group we get together with (usually montly, but due to holidays and stuff has fallen to the wayside) to drink and eat and be merry!

My cousin wants to do a wine tasting about 6 weeks PP, so we will be trying to attend that (depending on how I am feeling) FIL will probably end up watching LO. Then the same cousin's hubby (we do a lot with them, she is throwing my friends shower) will have a birthday a couple weeks later and he wants to go bowling, so we will probably bring LO to that and just see how things go. We will probably drive seperately in case on of us needs to leave early.

Other than that is just our annual BBQ which we are pushin back a few months since we usually have it around July 4 and that is just too soon for me. We will run it a little differntly this year (more selective about guests and ask people to help out with more food than usual).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Our due date is June 14. We made campground reservations for July 4-8 and if we can, we will attempt to take LO camping in our new camper. We bought a travel bassinet, will bring the pack and play, video monitor, etc. I'm nervous because I have zero baby experience. If it doesn't work or is too overwhelming for me to even try, I will just drive there and visit for one day and let DH camp with his family for the four days. It's important to us because 4th of July is DH's whole family get-together for the year. We reserved the spot months in advance just in case we could make it.

I also am a bridesmaid in two friends weddings this summer, July 21 and Sept 15. That also includes traveling so many hours for rehearsal dinners, many nights in hotels, bridal showers, bachelorette parties and other friends' baby showers. I am starting a new job next week so I have no idea what my schedule will be like, and I am going to try to return to work asap, at least parttime (maybe even before the 6 weeks is up), because I will only have unpaid leave. I AM SO OVERWHELMED!

I would LOVE the idea of a relaxing day at the beach with a 6 week old- hope it goes well and you have fun!

June 2012 Mom (2.5 yr old boy), July 2015 Mom (team green), Babywearing newbie/enthusiast
    Pregnancy Ticker

• imageluckysmom09:

Our due date is June 14. We made campground reservations for July 4-8 and if we can, we will attempt to take LO camping in our new camper. We bought a travel bassinet, will bring the pack and play, video monitor, etc. I'm nervous because I have zero baby experience. If it doesn't work or is too overwhelming for me to even try, I will just drive there and visit for one day and let DH camp with his family for the four days. It's important to us because 4th of July is DH's whole family get-together for the year. We reserved the spot months in advance just in case we could make it.

eek!  I hate to be a debbie downer, but good luck with this one!   So many things are going through my mind.....DD was 2 weeks late, so your LO might only be 7-10 days old.  I had a c-section, so I wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks.  I couldn't get out of bed without help.  I bled for at least 4 week PP.  BFing was an all night and all day challenge for the first few weeks.  I had a good case of the baby blues and cried every night.  I couldn't have been by myself during those first few weeks. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My great-uncle's 110th birthday celebration is in July in South Carolina.  We are so not missing that.  Plus he has already called and told me to bring the baby.  What do I tell the 109 year old guy?  Sure as heck won't be "no".  Plus I haven't been down to my family's farm in 20 years! DS is going to love it.
  • imagecchill01:

Just buy a wrap to cover your midsection.  Everyone knows you just had a baby.  FYI - The recommendation is usually no sunblock until 6 months.  I started a little earlier with DD, since I use a zinc oxide ONLY physical sunblock.   Also, babies can be really heat sensitive, so have a back up plan.  Our first beach trip was at 6 months and it was a TOTAL fail.  Though, others have had more success.

As for plans after delivery, I have a lot more this time than I did with #1.  I now have to entertain a toddler all summer, so I think this LO is going to be living in the sling.  

I was told the same.

Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • telyntelyn member
    There is a wedding that I wanted to go to- until they announced  the date 3 weeks after the EDD. Even assuming she's on time I told them not to plan on me. I do have a high school reunion 8 weeks after the EDD, that I am contemplating, just so that some of my friends can see the baby. I think 2 months old is right on the line of okay to travel. Maybe if we take a train it will be easier on her.
  • imagecchill01:

Just buy a wrap to cover your midsection.  Everyone knows you just had a baby.  FYI - The recommendation is usually no sunblock until 6 months.  I started a little earlier with DD, since I use a zinc oxide ONLY physical sunblock.   Also, babies can be really heat sensitive, so have a back up plan.  Our first beach trip was at 6 months and it was a TOTAL fail.  Though, others have had more success.

Good to know, thanks!

Luckily his uncles house will be up the street so that will be our back up plan if it gets too hot.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageFutureNichols:
    My great-uncle's 110th birthday celebration is in July in South Carolina.  We are so not missing that.  Plus he has already called and told me to bring the baby.  What do I tell the 109 year old guy?  Sure as heck won't be "no".  Plus I haven't been down to my family's farm in 20 years! DS is going to love it.

Surprise That's amazing! And so sweet of him to call to make sure you would come with the baby. I hope you and the family have fun!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • About 3-4 weeks after my EDD there is a big 30th birthday party for my BIL. Luckly it is at the in-laws house, just about 10 min from home. My plan is to go, stay inside with the baby, while most of the party is outside.

DS - Born 6/17/12 

DS#2 - Due 2/11/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageMycrimsonheart:

imageFutureNichols:
    My great-uncle's 110th birthday celebration is in July in South Carolina.  We are so not missing that.  Plus he has already called and told me to bring the baby.  What do I tell the 109 year old guy?  Sure as heck won't be "no".  Plus I haven't been down to my family's farm in 20 years! DS is going to love it.

Surprise That's amazing! And so sweet of him to call to make sure you would come with the baby. I hope you and the family have fun!

This! How wonderful! :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm not sure if this is your 1st baby or not, but you shouldn't be bleeding 5 weeks after.... After my first I def bled longer- like 3-4 weeks and with my second it was like 1-2 weeks if that.... I would wear a cover-up just b/c I get fat when pregnant, but no worries other than how u look! lol

• We're going to a couple of Cubs games after delivery -- about 5 weeks after and again at 2 months.  We'll be taking LO with us and be grateful for seats in the shade!

We also have a family reunion that about 6 hours away in early August.  We're still debating that trip as we'd have to drive and the thought of that with a newborn makes me cringe.  The 6-hour drive would be so much longer.  But, I'd like the family to meet the baby, not to mention my husband, who most don't know.  If we go, we'll plan on breaking up the trip with a stop over at my parent's house, which is about half way.

Beyond that, there are a couple of BBQs and pool parties we'll be heading to.  All with baby in tow.  We're not making any plans right now that don't involve the new addition to the family.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I plan on going to the beach/pool this summer, but haven't made formal plans to do so and probably won't until July once LO is over a month old.  Also, most pedis don't recommend sunblock on baby until at least 6months old.
    ~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • imagecchill01:
    imageluckysmom09:

Our due date is June 14. We made campground reservations for July 4-8 and if we can, we will attempt to take LO camping in our new camper. We bought a travel bassinet, will bring the pack and play, video monitor, etc. I'm nervous because I have zero baby experience. If it doesn't work or is too overwhelming for me to even try, I will just drive there and visit for one day and let DH camp with his family for the four days. It's important to us because 4th of July is DH's whole family get-together for the year. We reserved the spot months in advance just in case we could make it.

eek!  I hate to be a debbie downer, but good luck with this one!   So many things are going through my mind.....DD was 2 weeks late, so your LO might only be 7-10 days old.  I had a c-section, so I wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks.  I couldn't get out of bed without help.  I bled for at least 4 week PP.  BFing was an all night and all day challenge for the first few weeks.  I had a good case of the baby blues and cried every night.  I couldn't have been by myself during those first few weeks. 

I agree with cchill.  I went camping with DD when she was 4mo and while she was awesome, I was dying.  It was so f'n hot I nursed in the car in the a/c.  We only went for two nights and it was utterly exhausting.  Granted, we did it in a tent with an air mattress and I'm not sure how souped up your camper is, but we won't be camping again with an infant.

~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I feel like as this is my 3rd I dont really have the option to stay at home all summer. I'm sure we'll take it easy, but we'll probably take a trip or two to visit my brother and his DDs (the same ages as my DS and DD) in a city 3 hours away, and may make a few trips to the beach about 1.5 hours away. Also, every summer we do a 'staycation' in the city at a 4 day long music festival. LO will only be about 2 months  (at the oldest) at that point, but we'll still go and take it easy/play it by ear as need be. As PP said, with other LOs to chase, I think this LO will live in the wrap! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, for labor day DH's family always has a party which involves a lot of drinking. & my 21st birthday is on halloween. So...it's mostly just finding babysitter type activities. But she'll be about 3 or 4 months by then. So...I'm not too worried about it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagestacieclark:

I'm not sure if this is your 1st baby or not, but you shouldn't be bleeding 5 weeks after.... After my first I def bled longer- like 3-4 weeks and with my second it was like 1-2 weeks if that.... I would wear a cover-up just b/c I get fat when pregnant, but no worries other than how u look! lol

with my first i was 'bleeding' for 6 full weeks :(  i don't mean tons of blood, but it was 6 weeks before i could go without a pantiliner at the very least.  i had a c-section so not sure if that plays into anything. but everyone is different.  most of my friends were done sooner so it's likely....but not impossible!

diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would have felt fine to go to the beach 6 weeks after DS was born.  Since it will be summer, we plan to head to the beach or DS's mom's pool pretty soon after the baby is born this time.  I have an-almost 4 year old son who loves the beach and is like a fish and I can't keep him out of the water because I might not feel super comfortable in a bathing suit just yet. That's what cover-ups are for :-)

• We plan on hosting a BBQ the first weekend in August for everyone to come and meet the baby. We'll also have DH's grandmother and his cousin and her husband visit us for at least that weekend. Then we'll definitely spend a week or two up at the cottage at the end of August, through labour day.

Those are things that we've actually planned. Before that, we'll try to take the baby up to the cottage for a long weekend here and there depending on how things go. We've always just made last minute weekend trips to the cottage and we'll probably do the same this summer. We'll make a last minute decision on Fridays about how the baby is and how we're doing with the baby and probably try to head up there at least once or twice before we go for the week+ in August.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"