Adoption
Options

Intro and a Question...

Hello! I have been lurking, reading FAQ's and many of your blogs. They are so helpful and inspirational. Thank you for sharing.

My DH and I are both 27. We have two rescue pups (they're excellent cuddlers and entertainers!). We have been TTC for only about 6 months, but I have been off my meds (for AS - genetic disorder very similar to rheumatory arthritis) for over 9 months. And it has been a very painful and rough road trying to find (and failing to find) a medication that both controls my symptoms and is safe during pregnancy. 

Once I knew I was ready for children, I knew it wouldn't matter whether I was a birth mother or adoptive mother. I recently spoke to DH about this, and he feels the same. We both just thought we'd try to have a biological child first. We've started researching adoption, but are also still TTC. Here's where the question comes in... how do (did) you decide that you're ready to begin the adoption process? I know we're ready for children. But when do we stop TTC and start focusing our efforts to get ready for the adoption process? 

Thanks again and I look forward to getting to know this board! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Intro and a Question...

• Options

Unfortunately I think it's such a personal decision that no one can tell you when you're ready.  You'll have to decide that with your DH.

However, I will share my experience.  We suffer from male-factor infertility, and have been TTC for almost 4 years.  Once we had a diagnosis, we continued to try on our own, DH had surgery to try and correct the problem, etc.  We had to make the decision that we are ready to be parents and, like you, we don't care how that happens.  We aren't trying to prevent pregnancy at this point, because the chances are slim-to-none that a pregnancy would occur, but we are also moving forward in the adoption process.

Since you have a medical condition that requires drugs to control it, you may decide that you'd rather focus on your own health and move onto adoption without conceiving.  Only you and your DH can decide what is right for your family, though.  GL with your decision! :)

• Options

Hi and welcome.

I don't think anyone can answer that question for you. For some, it's a gradual realization. For others, it's an a-ha moment. And for still others, they pursue both at the same time.

GL and post often!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both! I saw a lot of information on the thread regarding adoption after infertility. The posts there gave some more things to think about and personal experiences of others. Thanks again!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"