Success after IF

I am terrified - DH going back to work on Monday

Girls, seriously, how in the hell am I going to do this?  DH has been home with me and the boys for the past 2 weeks and it has been heaven.  We have been great tag team parenting.  Jacob is going through a big Daddy phase right now (that started before the baby came), so they have been spending a lot of QT together.  Honestly, I miss Jacob because we haven't  been spending as much time together as we used to.  Although I have made a point to go to the library and a couple of other places with just him.

But there have been many times when Adam is getting Jacob a meal or down for a nap or bedtime and Danny is just screaming his face off - he doesn't like to be put down right now - or he's getting fed.  And I wonder how in the heck I'm going to be able to balance their needs.  Sure, I can wear Daniel and I can get Jacob to be helpful and quick as possible in his little routines for bedtime and such.  But this is going to be HARD.  

Just this afternoon I had a total breakdown just thinking about Adam going back to work and its still 4 days away!  And I'm a bit worried about PPD.  I had it with Jacob and I don't want to let myself get as down as I did with Jacob before I seek out help, but I don't want to jump the gun either.  I know there are a lot of hormones and sleep deprivation mixed in right now.

I can't believe I'm scared of these two little boys, but I am.  

Allison
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I am terrified - DH going back to work on Monday

• You will survive this.  Yes, it will be hard.  There are going to be days where you feel like someone has been crying all day long...either the baby, the toddler or you...and that's okay.  Crying never killed anyone!

Lots of baby wearing, lots of TV time for the toddler...you just do whatever you have to do to get through the first three months.  For us, that time was just about survival...not about getting any quality time or getting anything accomplished.  As long as the babies were fed and had on clean-ish diapers, I felt like I'd won that day. 

You'll get your groove, but it'll take a little while.  You've got some hard days coming up...but I swear to you, in six months, when Jacob and Daniel are in the floor playing together while you watch, you'll forget all about how hard the next few weeks are going to be.

You CAN do this!

• Hun, I felt the same way as you! I was petrified to be with both kids alone. I was stressed all day long when I was alone with them. But what I can promise is that the more you do it the more you will get into a routine. Then it will feel totally normal...and you will wonder how you thought one kid was hard. Stick out tongue

And you always have us to vent to!! You can do it!!

• Loading the player...
  • I don't have any advice for you but that will be me in a couple months and I'm already terrified.   I'm sure you will get a new routine in place.   Were you on meds for PPD the first time around?  I had to start meds the first time around and I wonder how common it is to need them after subsequent babies.  GL to you mamma!
    IVF #3 10/09 BFP! 12dp3dt Beta #1 = 319 14dp3dt Beta #2 = 565 21dp3dt Beta #3 = 10,475! u/s showed twins!! IVF 12/12 BFP! image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Dana is right, you CAN do this!  I remember freaking out being alone with both kids.  But we got into a groove and everything turned out okay.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLakeGenevaBride:
    I don't have any advice for you but that will be me in a couple months and I'm already terrified.   I'm sure you will get a new routine in place.   Were you on meds for PPD the first time around?  I had to start meds the first time around and I wonder how common it is to need them after subsequent babies.  GL to you mamma!
    I was on lexapro for almost a year for my first. I waited too long to get help and I won't make that mistake again. I'm not sure how often ppd happens with a second pregnancy.
    Allison
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That transition from 1-2 was WAY harder than 0-1, or 2-3. You now have to divide your time, and find your groove. Do what you need to get by. This is survival right now. Hang in there, 
  • I know how overwhelming it is. I really really do, I was there 20 months ago. I was absolutely terrified but somehow I made it through and I actually don't remember it being horrible. Scary, yes. Definitely scary. But totally doable. Thinking about you and hope it goes really well.
  • CMM05CMM05 member

imagefirsttogo:
    That transition from 1-2 was WAY harder than 0-1, or 2-3. You now have to divide your time, and find your groove. Do what you need to get by. This is survival right now. Hang in there, 

I totally agree with this :( Probably not what you wanted to hear, but going from 1-2 was ridiculously hard for us.

You will survive....we all did ;) Heck.....I added another to the mix-Lol!

Do what you can......you are going to have to let stuff go. Laundry and the house got let go here. When the baby was sleeping, I tried to do something with DS1 (I still try to do this when DS2 and DD are sleeping....). Now that the weather is getting warmer, try and get them out for walks if you can.

Not sure if you have any close parks, but we have a ton that are ones that are easy to watch (i.e. not super busy and a bit spread out....). I can take the boys and let them run around while I sit and feed DD or lay her out on a blanket to hang out.

It will take you a bit to get out and go places with both-I am just now feeling comfortable taking all 3 kids out by myself! Don't feel bad if you can't make it work.

Jacob goes to school a couple days a week, right? That will save you ;) (please no flames!), but I dread the days when all 3 kids are home and we have nothing planned. School days are the best because it gets us in our routine and it gets the boys out of the house to a place that they love!

GL! You can do it. Come on anytime and vent away!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You are one tough cookie!  I know you can do this!  It isn't easy that's for sure.  I wore #2 quite a bit.  I also strapped them both in the car and drove.  It gave me some sanity.  Good luck sweetie!  Take it one day at a time! 
    Health&Fitness Blog imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Our IVF miracles!
  • You can do it!  I understand being scared and there will be lots of what I like to call chaos:)

What helped me was to figure out the times or situations that were going to be the most troublesome....then find ways to make those times work better.

Your DH will probably be pretty busy when he goes back to work.  If you can organize to have groceries delivered to your house, that would be awesome.  Also plan to have easy meals. 

Good luck.  You will do great!

Jacob is a super good little guy.  I am sure you could talk to him about what it's going to be like when Daddy goes back to work and he is home with Mommy and his brother. 

• I haven't been there yet, so I don't have any practical advice, but I know you can do this!!  (((((HUGS)))))))  Lean on us, lean on your family, and take help in whatever forms its offered!
  • imagedana316:

You will survive this.  Yes, it will be hard.  There are going to be days where you feel like someone has been crying all day long...either the baby, the toddler or you...and that's okay.  Crying never killed anyone!

Lots of baby wearing, lots of TV time for the toddler...you just do whatever you have to do to get through the first three months.  For us, that time was just about survival...not about getting any quality time or getting anything accomplished.  As long as the babies were fed and had on clean-ish diapers, I felt like I'd won that day. 

You'll get your groove, but it'll take a little while.  You've got some hard days coming up...but I swear to you, in six months, when Jacob and Daniel are in the floor playing together while you watch, you'll forget all about how hard the next few weeks are going to be.

You CAN do this!

I couldn't say it better.  Everything Dana said is how it was in our house, except the baby wearing.  Neither of mine were ever fans of that.  Dylan watched a lot of tv, he played on my iphone a lot, he had lots of snacks to keep him content, etc.  It was survival mode, and it was SO worth it.  Watching them play together, hug each other, laugh at each other, etc is worth the hard times and so much more.  You'll do great!

After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was thinking about checking in with you to see how it was going.  I don't blame you one bit for being scared...I'm not there yet and I really don't know how I am going to do it.  BUT...I do know that there are millions of moms who are much less capable than we are who do this and more everyday so I know you (and I) can do it.  J goes to school some days right?  Just do what you can to get through the other days and then let yourself nap when D naps when J is out of the house. 

Garrison will be with me the whole time (though I am considering asking my MIL to keep her overnight one day a week to give us all a break) so I fear I am going to be even more sleep deprived than I was the first time around. 

Hopefully after B Cubed arrives we can get together sometime while I'm on leave-- I know that always helped after I had G when I had two other friends on maternity leave at the same time.  Hang in there-- you can do this!!

• imagedana316:

You will survive this.  Yes, it will be hard.  There are going to be days where you feel like someone has been crying all day long...either the baby, the toddler or you...and that's okay.  Crying never killed anyone!

You CAN do this!

Ditto...all of this!  You can do it!  Just set your expectations crazy low, go into survival mode, and you'll have it figured out in no time.  Yes, the baby will cry more than you'd like, the toddler will throw more tantrums than usual, the TV will be on more than you'd like...but all of that is ok.  Everyone may be crying and screaming at the same time (you included) on a daily basis, but that is ok, too.   Because it wont last forever and it won't do any damage to anyone.   Promise!!!   The newborn phase is hard but it is temporary!   

Get as much help as you possible can, give yourself a lot of slack, and before you know it, you will be a pro.   Good luck!!! 

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not there either, so no advice....just (HUGS) and letting you know that you can do this!
  • MAK06MAK06 member
    I have no advice really but I know you will make it through this even though it'll be a bit of an adjustment at first!  I'm sure you'll settle right into a new routine in no time!  HUGs!  

IVF #1 = BFP!! So blessed to have our baby boy! IVF #2 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! IVF #3 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! FET #1 = 8/14, Two transferred, One stuck! Praying for another healthy miracle! Due: 5/2/13 imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"