Trouble TTC
Options

Clomid Side Effects - 50 vs 100 mg

I'm currently in the 2WW of my second cycle on Clomid.  My doctor wants to increase my dosages from 50 mg to 100 mg.  I am terrified of what kind of side effects that will cause...should I be?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Clomid Side Effects - 50 vs 100 mg

• Options
    According to my RE's office "50mg is for the OBs" and they started me at 100.  I didn't have any side effects.   
  • Options

Even though it is double the dosage, that doesn't mean double the side effects. I've actually heard people say that they had more side effects on the 50mg dose. Others say differently. Personally, I was on 100 last cycle and am on it again this cycle, and I have not yet found the side effects to be anything you should be concerned about.

Here's hoping you won't need to worry about it!

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in the 2ww of my second clomid cycle. I started at 50 and did 100 this cycle (which I'm pretty sure didn't work and AF will be arriving soon). The only difference for me was that when I took the 100 it thinned my lining and I had to take estrogen.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies - that makes me feel a ton better.  I'm pretty sure I'm out this month and AF is on her way and feel more confident about popping the extra 50.  Here's to more (but not too many) follies!
  • Options
    No side effects here either in the change between dosages.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I actually had a better response to the 50mg than I have with higher doses, which my RE said is not unusual.  I also seem to have less side effects now that I'm on 150mg so I wouldn't worry too much about increasing your dosage.

My Blog: The Journey
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    TTC with PCOS since 4/2011
    1500mg Metformin
    4 Clomid cycles (3 cancelled) / 2 Clomid + Follistim + IUI cycles
    10/2012 & 11/2012- Treatment break while waiting for new insurance to become effective.
    IUI #3 in December... or not. Surprise BFP on 12/9/12!
    12/10 Beta #1: 25, 12/13 Beta #2: 122, 12/17 Beta #3: 738
    12/20 1st u/s, 12/27 2nd u/s with a heartbeat!, 1/3 3rd u/s & released from RE

EDD: 8/21/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I went from 100mg to 150mg and am not sure the difference in side effects was from that... but with 100mg I only experienced hot flashes at night and with 150mg I had a headache.
  • Options
    I am on my 4th clomid cycle and this month was my highest dosage, yet I had the fewest s/e.  I have not found a correlation between my dosage and the s/e that I have experienced.
    DX: Anovulation
    TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
    IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagenotquiteblushing:
    According to my RE's office "50mg is for the OBs" and they started me at 100.  I didn't have any side effects.   

Your RE made a very stupid statement.  I ovulate on my own, so there is no need for a higher dose than 50mg for me...I always had 2-3 mature follies on 50mg of clomid.  If I was put on a higher dosage, I would have had too many follicles, and probably would have been canceled.   

OP - as for s/e, since I've never had 100mg, I'm not sure but I'd assume what ever side effects you've had on 50mg it just might be a little more intensified.   

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options

imagenotquiteblushing:

Seriously?  First of all, how is including that comment helpful or relevant to the OP?  Second of all, it is totally ridiculous.  50mg is for doctors that are conservative and want to make sure not to overstimulate their patients by jumping to a high dosage. 

DX: Anovulation
    TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
    IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm happy you posted this!  I start 100mg tonight for the first time and I'm a little nervous.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Can't really tell you...since I only did a cycle of 50. My RE gave it to me and was not optimistic at all that it would work. Low and behold she was right, so I went right to injects.

Weird thing though, I had s/e from Clomid (irritability, backaches, headaches) yet it didn't work but I didn't have se from the injects at all and they were able to produce at least one nice sized follie for my IUI last week. Beats me!!

Either way, good luck with you 2ww!

Me: 33, Endocrine issues & FVL       DH: 32, Nothing 
    NTNP 2009-2012         TTC since 2012:
    • Clomid, 2 IUI cycles, and 5 IVF cycles = BFN
    • FET #1   August 2013 = BFP!     EDD 5/11/14
    • Jack dx at 19w1d with Dandy Walker on 12/16/13
    • Severe Pre-e /HELLP set in Jack born sleeping at 20w1d on 12/23/13
    • FET #2 --July 2014  BFP!  ---  EDD  4/5/15

Jack has handpicked his sibling up there :)

My blog about IF and loss ... Kate's IF Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    imagetombomb84:

imagenotquiteblushing:

Seriously?  First of all, how is including that comment helpful or relevant to the OP?  Second of all, it is totally ridiculous.  50mg is for doctors that are conservative and want to make sure not to overstimulate their patients by jumping to a high dosage. 

I thought it was relevant because I, too, was apprehensive about taking 100mg when I see so many others on this board starting at 50mg.  But I thought knowing that starting at 100mg was my doctor's protocol would lessen her fears.  She did ask for other people's experiences, no?  I had no symptoms on 100mg and also did not overstimulate - I had two follicles.

• Options
    imagenotquiteblushing:
    imagetombomb84:

imagenotquiteblushing:

I thought it was relevant because I, too, was apprehensive about taking 100mg when I see so many others on this board starting at 50mg.  But I thought knowing that starting at 100mg was my doctor's protocol would lessen her fears.  She did ask for other people's experiences, no?  I had no symptoms on 100mg and also did not overstimulate - I had two follicles.

That's probably because your Dx is PCOS.  OP did not state her Dx and does not have it in her siggy.  And we don't want you to make people think 50mg of clomid is bad for everyone.  Yes, it's fine to skip it for some Dx, but basically saying your doctor told you it's pointless is not helpful to all the ladies on the board.  Try to remember that many Dx read these and can draw wrong conclusions from misinformation. 

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options
    imagekatib77:
    imagenotquiteblushing:
    imagetombomb84:

imagenotquiteblushing:

That's probably because your Dx is PCOS.  OP did not state her Dx and does not have it in her siggy.  And we don't want you to make people think 50mg of clomid is bad for everyone.  Yes, it's fine to skip it for some Dx, but basically saying your doctor told you it's pointless is not helpful to all the ladies on the board.  Try to remember that many Dx read these and can draw wrong conclusions from misinformation. 

I'm sorry.  I'm new to this.  I thought Clomid was primarily for folks like me who were annovulatory.  Carry on!

• Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    imagenotquiteblushing:
    imagekatib77:
    imagenotquiteblushing:
    imagetombomb84:

imagenotquiteblushing:

I'm sorry.  I'm new to this.  I thought Clomid was primarily for folks like me who were annovulatory.  Carry on!

Some PCOS women don't ovulate either so clomid would help.

OP - I took 50mg and 100mg and noticed more side effects on the lower dose. The only side effects I had with both doses were hot flashes and irritability. GL!

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options

Thanks again ladies!  My dx is just standard issue annovulatory.  I had two follies my first month and only one my second.

I'm so grateful to know that next month isn't going to suck as much as I thought it was going to! 

• Options

imagenotquiteblushing:

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I suggest you go to a smarter RE. Oh wait...a smarter RE probably wouldn't accept someone who hasn't been TTC long.  

PAIF/SAIF welcome
    PCOS-IR / Hypothyroid
    IUI#1-3: 100mg Clomid + Ovidrel trigger = BFN
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    i have PCOS and did a 50mg IUI cycle + trigger back in January. I didn't get a bfp but i had a great response to the Clomid. Even though your RE is the one to blame for the incorrect information, just be careful about making blanket statements like that. 50mg of Clomid is not useless - just as 100mg isn't always necessary. Everyone's situation is different.
    TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014
  • Options
    imageJerem2911:

imagenotquiteblushing:

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I suggest you go to a smarter RE. Oh wait...a smarter RE probably wouldn't accept someone who hasn't been TTC long.  

Are we really going to go there?  People come from all over the country to go to my RE but thanks for playing.

ETA.  I don't ovulate AND we have MFI so let's not play this game, k?

• Options
    imageJerem2911:

imagenotquiteblushing:

I thought the 50mg being for OBs comment was wrong, but this one is just as bad. Who cares how long NQB has been trying if she has a documented issue?  

Search Boards
"
"