October 2012 Moms

Not ugly, not expensive maternity clothes.

Do they exist?  I'm having the hardest time finding stuff that isn't ugly.  I don't want big bows and I don't want a lot of "tie waist" crap.  My stuff from my first pregnancy is worn out looking because I only bought a few pieces to get me through...and it was a different season.  So I'm basically starting over.

Where are you shopping?  I love the stuff at Boden, but it's kinda pricey.  Any suggestions?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Not ugly, not expensive maternity clothes.

• I'm having this problem too! I love Boden, but can't really afford it. Plus it just seems silly to pay a lot for pieces that I will only be wearing for a few months...I haven't bought any maternity pieces yet, but I have gotten a few regular maxi dresses that have enough room to last through the summer. I feel lucky to be pregnant for sundress weather!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So far most of my stuff is from Old Navy. I like it, it's pretty casual, though.

I'm Britt. Me 29 | MH 29 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I know this doesn't work for everyone, but i just shop at my usual favorite stores and buy tops & dresses that are 2 or 3 sizes bigger than usual. I really like express right now because they have awesome sales and LONG waisted shirts. Also i try to find empire waist or peasant type shirts and theyre kinda flowy it works great (for me). Then i don't feel so dumb wearing my last resort maternity tops that i hate! I still want to look nice!

EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1 photo EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1-1_zps6c64b4ff.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejennadoll87:

I know this doesn't work for everyone, but i just shop at my usual favorite stores and buy tops & dresses that are 2 or 3 sizes bigger than usual. I really like express right now because they have awesome sales and LONG waisted shirts. Also i try to find empire waist or peasant type shirts and theyre kinda flowy it works great (for me). Then i don't feel do dumb wearing my last resort maternity tops that i hate! I still want to look nice!

This is me too. I like tunic tops, maxi dresses, long sweaters and lengthy tank tops. I rarely find an actual piece of maternity clothing that I like. I think they make me look bigger than I am. The styles out there right now are very forgiving for pregnant bellies. I buy a size bigger and can wear all of it in the first few weeks/month postpartum until I can fit back in my other clothes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have found most of my stuff at Macy's. The clothes are expensive and cute. There are tie waist shirts, but they have a variety so I am sure you would find things you like!
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Have you checked Kohls and H&M?  H&M had really cute stuff when I was pregnant with DD.  Only certain stores sell it though. 
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 7.16.11 - Chemical M/C 7.26.11
    BFP 1.12.12 - EDD 10.12.12 - Stick baby stick!
    Beta#1 (12DPO) - Beta 48 Prog 34
    Beta #2(19DPO) - Beta 1767 Prog 54 - Beta #3(26DPO) -
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My H bought me a few inexpensive items from H& M yesterday.  I love their non maternity clothing as well.
  • I like a lot of Gap's stuff!  I already have a hard time finding clothes that fit (my boobs are ginormous), so going larger would be scary.  Ha!  When I was there over the weekend, almost everything in the maternity section was 30% off.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone know how the stuff at Boden fits?  I was a dress size 18 pre-pregnancy, and generally of the plus-size variety.  I see they go up to size 18 in dresses.  I'm wondering if that would fit me.  I hate ordering things online and having to return them, because you're usually out postage both ways.  But their stuff is cute!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I worry about Boden's v-neck shirts (which I like all of them) I have WAY too much cleavage to be able to wear v-necks while pregnant otherwise I have to wear a tank under them.  I wonder about fit too.
    My BFP Chart
    My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Most of my stuff is from Old Navy, Target, and JCPenny's.  I just scour the clearance racks, every now and then so I'm not paying a lot.  I don't think any of my stuff is frumpy, but that may be a matter of opinion.  I also have a few things that are a just a size or two bigger that are working out, but I can get into trouble doing that as the neck line and shoulder area can be too big then and look sloppy.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Check out asos and h&m Ann Taylor loft and jcp! I hate MM also hit up consignment stores

Duke Winter 10/11/12
    Baby Duex 05/20/15

NYC Momma 

"My stroller is my SUV"
  • imageKellyFM522:
    Check out asos and h&m Ann Taylor loft and jcp! I hate MM also hit up consignment stores

I just checked out asos!  Their stuff is super cute.  It's still a bit pricey, but if it's really cute I'd be willing to buy a few pieces that I really like.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ann Taylor Loft and Loft Outlet (if you have one near you) have some GREAT sundresses that are empire waste...i am able to wear them to work w/a sweater and then on weekends w/sandals....

BabyFruit Ticker
  • forgive me, what is asos?
    My BFP Chart
    My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Forget it I forgot it's a UK company.  My friends have ordered from them and they say that the quality is VERY cheap and they have a horrible return policy.
    My BFP Chart
    My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have gotten the majority of my stuff from Asos, Shade, Gap and Old Navy.  They all have lots of sale options.  Gap and Old Navy carry maternity pants in actual number sizes (not S/M/L) which has been a life saver.

Shade is running a HUGE sale right now.  I just got a dress, a bunch of camis, a couple of tees and a tunic for $80.

For the record, I had zero problems with my returns to Asos.  I was also happy with the quality of all 4 dresses I got.  And they have free return shipping.  Triple win in my book!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Gap, Old Navy and Target for me... I've gotten lots of basic tanks (some with ruching, some without) that I wear with non-maternity cardigans.  I have some dark jeans from Gap. 

I also have bought skirts and dresses, some maternity some not - jersey stuff is awesome for stretch so it doesn't matter if they are maternity.

Also, Target online has a lot more stuff than in the store.  

Topshop also has some cute maternity stuff, but again its expensive like Boden and ASOS.  I'm so not spending much money on maternity stuff.

• I'm not in maternity shirts quite yet. I find that they are too big or I don't like the colors or the print makes me look bigger than I actually am, but I am in maternity pants though. Those I got at Kohls, Sears, or Motherhood. My tops I've just been getting in bigger sizes at my favorite stores such as Maurices and Dressbarn in just one to two sizes bigger. They have some cute dresses at Dressbarn and I make sure the material is polyester which should stretch some as well. I hope this helps!

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I just ordered 2 dresses, jeans, shorts and a swimsuit from Motherhood.com

Supposed to arrive Monday, and I will def. let y'all know how I like it! I found their prices comparable to target and old navy but the items look classier and better made. Fingers crossed!

Edit: I also expect a lot of my existing work shirts to function throughout pregnancy - I am breast-blessed and tend to wear loose, flowring shirts to work in my mostly male dealership. Srsly, the slightest hint of anything and these boys stare.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageffejsGirl:
    imagejennadoll87:

I know this doesn't work for everyone, but i just shop at my usual favorite stores and buy tops & dresses that are 2 or 3 sizes bigger than usual. I really like express right now because they have awesome sales and LONG waisted shirts. Also i try to find empire waist or peasant type shirts and theyre kinda flowy it works great (for me). Then i don't feel do dumb wearing my last resort maternity tops that i hate! I still want to look nice!

This is me too. I like tunic tops, maxi dresses, long sweaters and lengthy tank tops. I rarely find an actual piece of maternity clothing that I like. I think they make me look bigger than I am. The styles out there right now are very forgiving for pregnant bellies. I buy a size bigger and can wear all of it in the first few weeks/month postpartum until I can fit back in my other clothes.

Yep me too. I did this with DS as well and it worked just fine. Other than jeans that I bought from the Gap, I go with mostly non-pregnancy related items. I will buy things from Pea in a Pod should I need to. Check out Anne Taylor Loft as well, they have some maternity options online. 

• If anyone interested, Kohls.com has a 20% off coupon discount (Code BLOOM20) and additional 15% off (code USAVE15) for maternity clothes.

No Kohl's card required.

• ugh I'm having such a hard time with maternity clothes.  I'm a curvy girl as it is so trying to find something that not only isn't too expensive but corporate office appropriate is a challenge!  I had to splurge on maternity trousers.  I bought one at Mother Maternity and another one at Kohl's.  For tops, I'm wearing my bigger button down shirts for now because I can cami's underneath them for work.  When the summer hits, I'm living in maxi dresses.  Target has some cute ones and Old Navy.  To make them work for the job, I'll just throw a blazer on over them.  Thankfully those still fit!
    DSC_0097 image BabyFruit Ticker image
  • 2nd hand stores... You can get good prices and good brands, gently used clothes. We have ones here called Clothes Mentor. :)
    ?Married 11-1-08 ~ dxPCOS 9-1-11 ~ BFP 2-14-12 ~ T.J. born 11-1-12? Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Tanner James The  BoysWedding Shot
  • Define inexpensive? 

The sales online at pea in the pod have been awesome this year... But one get one free! I bought a ton of stuff for so cheap. 

Birthday

• I've shopped secondhand stores. There are a couple of kids' consignment stores in my area that carry maternity. I also wear regular stuff (and some maternity I bought on clearance) from Kohl's. My fave pair of jeans I bought secondhand (gap brand) and I bought a few pairs of shorts/capris and some tops from a friend my size. I don't spend big $$ on maternity wear, but I'm also a SAHM so my stuff is more casual.
  • JCP has some cute maternity stuff right now. Most of it is the typical tie-waist, grandma pattern crap, but there are a few gems in there and the prices are very reasonable. ASOS is a lot trendier but expensive so watch for the sales. I've never had any problem with their return policy.

imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageDottyBlue:

I have gotten the majority of my stuff from Asos, Shade, Gap and Old Navy.  They all have lots of sale options.  Gap and Old Navy carry maternity pants in actual number sizes (not S/M/L) which has been a life saver.

Shade is running a HUGE sale right now.  I just got a dress, a bunch of camis, a couple of tees and a tunic for $80.

For the record, I had zero problems with my returns to Asos.  I was also happy with the quality of all 4 dresses I got.  And they have free return shipping.  Triple win in my book!

Thanks for suggesting Shade! I'd never heard of them before. I just ordered 2 tees and pair of capris for $32!

imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"