June 2012 Moms

How hands on will DH be?

My DH is really into the 'science' of things and really wants to be able to watch everything that's going on during birth (provided we're lucky enough to have a vaginal birth!). He actually wants to 'catch' Baby if possible!

Not totally sure how I feel about it... I mean if he is OK with it then it could be a really amazing thing to know that he was the first hands to touch our Baby but at the same time, I have heard other Men comment that they could "never look at their wives the same way" if they were to be that up close and personal with what was happening.

How does your DH/SO feel about looking 'down below' during birth? How do you feel about it?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How hands on will DH be?

• i think DH is going to remain up above during the birth-  our midwife told him he can catch the baby and he didn't seem too excited about that-  i think he'll be more interested in supporting me and hanging out by my head :)
  • DH will be behind me the whole time - it was a mutual decision. I'm not comfortable with him having a... full view, and neither is he. If he was REALLY interested and truly wanting to watch I suppose I would let him (I guess by the point that LO will be just about out I won't really care who's where). I think that it really depends on your DH - some guys may feel weird afterwards, but if he's so confident in his desire to be up close and personal with the process then he probably won't change his mind about you :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I jokingly asked my husband about this. He said he would do it, but obviously isnt going to. I was really shocked!

Im not sure if he knows just how -CSI- itll be.

He can have a full view, but no interaction

• Since DH held one of my legs the entire time, he had a pretty good view of things. He said he appreciated me even more after he saw what I had gone through.  
  • My DH keeps joking about his boobs and up rule. I don't think he's kidding though. He has no desire to see my vagina looking that way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not sure if DH wants to watch the baby come out but he's welcome to! lol He will be cutting the cord, after some delayed clamping time. And after I get done having my skin to skin time and breast feed at least once DH will get some skin to skin time with the baby. The skin to skin and breastfeeding are big things they try to push at the hospital I am delivering at. They are trying to get away from formula.
  • DH doesn't want to look at all...he doesn't want to see my vagina like that. At least, that's what he's told me. He's going to avoid it as much as possible. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not my DH - he doesn't want to see anything until LO is out. (he told me he didn't look when his other two children were born either) It took me some prodding to find out why because I didn't want him to miss out on the "miracle" of it all. I think, and he didn't deny, that he doesn't want to see his "playground" obliterated. Maybe he knows deep down that if he saw my privates undergoing all that he'd never look at my lady parts the same way again. Goofy but true.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DH will be staying above the waist. He is squeamish and has no interest in seeing that, and that is FINE by me Smile
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think some of you will be surprised.  DH always said he didn't even want to be in the room.  But, there he was cleaning up meconium filled amniotic fluid from the floor.   And the second the nurse said, "I can see hair," he was down there checking the engine too.   I think a lot of them change their minds or get swept away when it's time.

I'm personally comfortable with anything DH is comfortable with.

• DH watched DS being born, but he didn't want to be hands on.  He was amazed when he first saw DS's head crowning. 

The funny thing is, I am a doctor, but I was not into being hands-on, either.  My OB asked if I wanted to touch or catch my baby as he was being born.  I didn't.  I had a med-free delivery that was extremely painful and took all of my concentration.  I didn't want to be distracted. 

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • My husband started out being fairly convinced he would pass out at the sight of it all, so I am extra glad we did a birthing class as he told me after that it wasn't nearly as bad as he thought.  Provided my babies don't need to go to nicu, he even said he would step up and kangaroo the first one if needed (general MO at my hospital with twins).  I don't know if he'll end up watching the babies actually slide on out but that he's willing to take a gooey baby and hold it is a million miles from where we started!
  • DH says he doesn't want to look, but I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a glance at least. I definitely don't think he'll be watching it all though - he can be kind of squeamish.
  • With DD1 my DH watched her come out, but that was about it for "hands on". He had no desire to cut the cord. In his words "that is what we are paying the doctor to do".

I think what got him was he happened to be looking when the placenta came out because that is all he seems to talk about when we talk about her delivery. Poor guy...Stick out tongue

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagecchill01:

I think some of you will be surprised.  DH always said he didn't even want to be in the room.  But, there he was cleaning up meconium filled amniotic fluid from the floor.   And the second the nurse said, "I can see hair," he was down there checking the engine too.   I think a lot of them change their minds or get swept away when it's time.

I'm personally comfortable with anything DH is comfortable with.

This!! DH is very squeamish and swore he would just stay up by my head the whole time. Then the nurse started saying, "wow...you can see she has a lot of hair!" That made DH curious, so he took a peek, and then after that he kept looking and giving me updates on how much of her head you could see!

He also had said he definitely didn't want to cut the cord, but he did. Although, he said that while he was over there cutting the cord, he made the mistake of looking back over at me right when the doctor was pulling the placenta out! Yuck! LOL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At the beginning of the pregnancy, H said he would not look. He was very adamant about it. Now he says he wants to look and possibly cut the cord! I'm surprised he changed his mind.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My hubs is going to miss the birth, but before we found that out he was planning on staying up near my head because he "doesn't need to see all that." If he wanted to look though I doubt I'd have had a problem with it... really figured at the time he decided to look I'd be otherwise occupied and probably wouldn't care

• My DH looked and thought it was really cool.  He said it looked nothing like me down there anymore so it wasn't like it was a big deal and that he couldn't look at me the same again anymore.  He said it was amazing.  He held one of my legs and cut the cord, did not catch the baby.  Now I am kind of curious about seeing myself but declined the mirror last time.  Probably won't look this time either. 

I agree that some of you may be surprised.  Out of all of my friends who have had kids all of their husbands have looked.  Many said they didn't want to and did.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • DH witnessed the down-below,even poo, until i was rushed in for an emergency c/s. He said it did take him a little bit to get that image out of his head of the stretching and such, but it was still amazing.
  • Now my husband isn't scared of blood, he's an EMT, it's really just MY blood. Neither of us really care to have him there during the process. My mom and 4 year old nephew are coming out when he's due to help out and I think I'll have my mom there and DH can watch the nephew. We're considering a scheduled CS and at that point I'd be ok with him coming in, but otherwise I'd rather have as few people there as possible. 
  • He'll be holding one of my legs, supporting me during pushing, just like he was last time.  I'm sure he looked during the birth, but I am not sure exactly what he saw.  I was kind of occupied at the time.  I think some of you will be surprised.  It's really amazing, not horrifying, and DH has had no ill effects from seeing me push a baby out of my girly parts.  He was obviously interested in enough to make a second baby! Stick out tongue

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"