Adoption

*ellekae* re: fundraising

I just saw your questions about our fundraising in a post below.  Thought I'd page you incase you didn't check back.  Sorry it took me so long to reply!

To answer your questions:  yes we did send out a letter asking for donations.  It was one page, front and back, and we basically gave a short history (we always wanted to adopt / we struggled with infertility) and then more info about the future (adopting internationally, had identified a boy in Russia etc).  We explained why adoption is so expensive and gave a couple "sample costs" some big and some small- like agency fees, fingerprint fees etc. and asked for donations.  We sent it to basically everyone we knew at the advice of our agency.  You'll be surprised at who gives!

I read that it is important to phrase the request in terms of helping bring your child home rather than giving you money- ie: the money isn't going to you guys as much as it is going to help a child who needs a family.  That helps people see the need for what it really is. 

Out of all the donations we received, we probably only had 5 or 6 people ask about it being tax deductible.  Our answer was simply, "No I'm sorry because we are not a nonprofit organization."  That response was always accepted and no one ever had a problem with it. 

One last thing: our blog has been invaluable for raising money.  People have LOVED watching our journey and many have said how it makes them feel like through their donation they are really a part of our whole experience.  We recieved a number of donations through the "donate" link on our blog too.  Making it easy to give encourages giving! 

All the best to your in your fundraising!  You can do it! 

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
SA February 2011: Normal
RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
Court trip October 2012
Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden

Re: *ellekae* re: fundraising

• Thanks! In the mean time, I had checked out your blog, and it was very helpful in answering my questions. That said, I do appreciate your reply. It was perfect timing too, since my MIL was less than enthusiastic when DH and I discussed our adoption plans at dinner today. I was feeling frustrated, and now I have bounced back to feeling excited.

Our Adoption Blog & Fundraising Efforts

Heading to China in November 2014 to bring our son home!

• I'm sorry your MIL wasn't excited.  Do you think she'll come around?  Sometimes it just takes family members a while to process the news.  

When I need something to get me excited about adoption I love to look at adoption boards on pinterest or watch adoption videos on youtube!  Just have a tissue handy  ;-) 

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
  • Loading the player...
  • we did a pasta buffette at our church... it's cheep and we did real well. we also sold bumper magnets for the car that said adoption another choice and the sold like crazy!
    hugs, love and prayers...familyhope
  • imagejillianmb:
    I'm sorry your MIL wasn't excited.  Do you think she'll come around?  Sometimes it just takes family members a while to process the news.   When I need something to get me excited about adoption I love to look at adoption boards on pinterest or watch adoption videos on youtube!  Just have a tissue handy  ;-) 
    She'll come around... I think this is just the first time she realized we are serious about adoption and that her next grandbaby might not be white. Not that she's racist or anything, but I don't think it is something she ever pictured before. She made a lot of comments about "troubled" kids and "problem" kids... That was hard for me to hear. I kind of wanted to freak out, but I didn't. I just let her say what she needed to say. She doesnt know what adoption is like these days. We'll revisit all of that as time moves forward. I think she just needs a few weeks/months to get used to everything.

Our Adoption Blog & Fundraising Efforts

Heading to China in November 2014 to bring our son home!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"