June 2012 Moms

Difference b/w "Big Baby" and "Further Along"

Hi All - Hope you're all having a great Wednesday! almost 1/2 way through the week.....

Just curious - I had a "growth" u/s on Monday because my belly is measuring small except the u/s results revealed that I was measuring 32weeks 6days instead of 32wks 1 day. The u/s tech & dr kept saying, your're measuring further along. Which totally contradicted the "small belly" measurement a week prior and why i was in for a follow-up appointment which was funny but not my thought behind this post. 

What I'm curious about is that they never said anything about having a "big baby" so I was just curious how they make that determination.  I've seen posts about babies being big for their gestational age which in some cases, have required early (38/39wk) inductions, etc .... Does anyone have any thoughts on this? 

Maybe all measurements combined - weight, length, kidneys, head, etc, etc is what made this determination but I'm pretty sure when I asked her if the 32wk 6day age was based on weight and length she said yes.  So I guess I just assumed that was it.....and i'm now wondering if I just have a big baby.  ha! 

Hopefully that made sense....

Just something I was thinking about.... 

Re: Difference b/w "Big Baby" and "Further Along"

• I think that at this stage, 5 days doesn't really matter too much size wise.  My baby has been measuring about 3 weeks ahead, but at the same time, the baby is 78th percentile for weight for her gestational age.  So while she is technically measuring 'ahead' she is still within the range of normal for her gestational age.  Also, remember that there is a margin of error (+ or -), so I would not be concerned at all about measuring a few days ahead. 
  • I'm not worried at all....I was just curious as to why they said I was measuring further along as opposed to just saying I have a "bigger" baby......?? Not something I thought to ask while I was there but popped in my brain this morning ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • It honestly is all just a guessing game. They can estimate how big baby is but they really don't know for sure. The difference of 5 days at this point isn't a big deal. Just trust your body to do what it needs to do to create a healthy baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hmmm...not sure.  I had a third u/s with DS when I was aroudn 31 or 32 weeks because the OB said he was measurnig large.  It turned out that he was measuring 5.3 pounds when he should have been measurng between 3.3-3.7 pounds.  I ended up going into labour at 39 weeks and he was 9lb 1oz.  Big baby!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMycrimsonheart:
    It honestly is all just a guessing game. They can estimate how big baby is but they really don't know for sure. The difference of 5 days at this point isn't a big deal. Just trust your body to do what it needs to do to create a healthy baby.

Agreed.  No one can really give you that answer until after baby is born and only if you start labor naturally and even then it might not be totally clear.  If your baby is born naturally at 39 weeks and average weight, then you were probably further along.  If your baby is born naturally at 40 weeks and above average weight, then you have a big baby.  But, there's lots of in between scenarios that aren't so clear. 

All these measurements and U/Ss have a significant margin of error.  Also, fetal growth is not linear.  So, one week you might be ahead and the next you'll be more average.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"