June 2012 Moms

PSA: Re: Birth Control after Giving Birth

Just wanted to mention in relation to the birth control post below, and maybe this is common knowledge but it wasn't for me, that you can be very fertile right after giving birth even if you are breast feeding. 

It took us 9 months as well as being on Clomid to conceive the first one, and the second one we conceived the FIRST TIME, without any drugs at all, and I was breastfeeding.  We wanted a second child pretty quickly (although we never thought it would be that quick!), so it is great for us, but wanted to be sure people realize this.  I also now know several couples who had the same experience.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PSA: Re: Birth Control after Giving Birth

• Honestly I'm kind of hoping for that, not that I really think it's a great idea to have no resting between pregnancies, but I was on my third round of IUI before getting pregnant this time.  I used all of the insurance coverage for infertility at this point, so unless I get pregnant by accident I'll have a huge bill to get pregnant later.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• I had a similar experience. It took us over a year with #1 (we were just starting testing - had scheduled an SA) and #2 happened by chance one night during only my 2nd pp cycle. (again, we wanted two but were surprised with this one)

Also, it's not uncommon once you get your period back for your cycle to be unpredictable.

image   image

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the heads up.  My friend is now pregnant with #2 even though she was on BC (the low hormone because of bfing).

I am hoping that I can get an IUD after giving birth and be covered for sometime since I really don't want to be pregnant again for at least two years.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Or it can work exactly the opposite with breastfeeding.  I didn't get a real ovulating cycle until 14-15 months pp (I had a little spotting around month 13).  So, take precautions if you don't want to get KU, but don't count on it happening quickly either.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think people believe that if you are breastfeeding in any capacity you won't be fertile. But any professional I've talked to has said that you must be exclusively breastfeeding and be breastfeeding through the night (especially between the hours of 2am and 5am - apparently hormones are highest at that time). Any supplementation at all will make the idea totally null and void. As soon as your LO starts sleeping longer stretches, it is no longer a form of birth control. So really, it could be as early as a few weeks old.

All that being said, I have absolutely no experience with this, but I won't count on it being a form of birth control for us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekhill86:

I think people believe that if you are breastfeeding in any capacity you won't be fertile. But any professional I've talked to has said that you must be exclusively breastfeeding and be breastfeeding through the night (especially between the hours of 2am and 5am - apparently hormones are highest at that time). Any supplementation at all will make the idea totally null and void. As soon as your LO starts sleeping longer stretches, it is no longer a form of birth control. So really, it could be as early as a few weeks old.

All that being said, I have absolutely no experience with this, but I won't count on it being a form of birth control for us.

Not true.  My DD slept through the night from 10 weeks on and I did not wake up to nurse or pump in the middle of the night and didn't get my first PPAF until she was 7 months old.  I still temped from about the time she was 4mo old until my first PPAF arrived b/c I was scared of having 2u2 for awhile and my first three cycles were anovulatory.  You do not need to nurse through the night to remain infertile from BFing, but you do need to understand that you can get pregnant before you even get AF the first time should you start ovulating again right away.  You CAN chart and BF to TTA successfully if you pay attention to your body- using CM and temps together.

~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • My DH and his brother are less than a year apart (so for about a month they are the same age, which is so weird to me lol!). 

And I knew a lady whose kids are almost exactly 9 months apart.  When she went for her 6 week checkup she was pregnant.  I think that is pretty rare, but it can happen. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is what happened to me!  We were very excited since DD #1 took 18 months of TTC and IUI to get PG.  I got PG with #2 after I got done BF and only had one cycle.
  • A friend went out for a celebratory drink after returning from maternity leave (less than 10 weeks after giving birth).  She and her husband conceived their second child that night, despite the fact she was breastfeeding.
  • imageDavesgrl2011:
    And I knew a lady whose kids are almost exactly 9 months apart.  When she went for her 6 week checkup she was pregnant.  I think that is pretty rare, but it can happen. 

I don't think I'd be able to stop crying! ;) I dream of having my body back (strength wise), and the thought of jumping right back in to a 1st trimester after delivery?  You would be able to hear me scream in space. 

• imagekjem182:

imageDavesgrl2011:

I don't think I'd be able to stop crying! ;) I dream of having my body back (strength wise), and the thought of jumping right back in to a 1st trimester after delivery?  You would be able to hear me scream in space. 

LOL I think I'd be doing the same thing!  I am definitely hoping to own my own body for at least a few months!

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• I'm going to have to talk to my OB, but after this LO's birth I really don't want to go on any form of hormonal birth control. My body had such a hard time coming off of birth control the first time, I don't want to go through that again. I had mentioned to DH that I didn't want to go on hormonal birth control and he said that was fine that there are always condoms. So it is either going to be a diaphragm, sponge or he is going to have to suit up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"