June 2012 Moms
Options

Painting....

I start my maternity leave next week and want to start painting the nursery... but I am not sure if I should.  Are other mom to bes out there painting?  I am just painting a couple pictures on the wall - not to whole thing.  Is there a type of paint to avoid?

Sorry if it is a dumb question I am just brain farting.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: Painting....

• Options

I plan on helping to paint the nursery. Just make sure the room is well ventilated and you have the windows open. I've heard that oil base paint is not good to breathe in, but you shouldn't have any issue with latex paint. (If this isn't right, please feel free to correct me)

• Options
    I helped a bit.  My MIL didn't really want me to so she helped my H.  We used no-VOC.  But they also have low-VOC that you can use.  Less fumes.  Anything helps.  Just makes sure the room is well ventilated.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know what kinds of paint you can use but you should open some windows and have a fan blowing. You can even wear a mask if it makes you feel better.
  • Options
    My husband wouldn't let me help, but he's silly imo.  He used low VOC paint and had the windows open, which I would recommend even when not pregnant.  You could also get a mask as well if you want to be extra careful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I painted. I kept the windows open. 

Not sure if I should have done differently but I wasn't in there long stretches so I felt it was safe. I am very lax though with pregnancy.  

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I plan on painting as well. I read somewhere that in addition to opening the windows, it is a good idea to take a break every 15-20 minutes as well as drink a lot of water. I will probably want to take a break that often anyways. I plan on wearing a mask.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Little Man born 2014
  • Options
    Dh did our stripes, but I did the mural.  I figured the fume from a little cup of paint wouldn't be that bad.  But after DH did the stripes, I def. opened the windows-I could smell it all over the house and we used low VOC paint!
  • Options
    We just painted our whole house.  We used Behr no-VOC paint, and had all the windows open.  It really didn't smell at all, actually.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

Most doctors agreed that you can safely use low or no-VOC latex paint.  I've already done a bunch of painting and plan to do more in the next few weeks.  I keep the windows open, drink fluids and stretch often. 

Just be warned Low and No-VOC does NOT mean no odor.  The stuff still smells and can make you feel sick.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Keys to preggo painting...

1.  Ventilation

2.  Safe ladder/no ladder is best

3.  Frequent breaks

4.  Chemically safe paint (like Behr or Benjamin Moore)

I did a lot of painting outside and wore a mask for spray painting, so hopefully it is fine :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"