School-Aged Children
Options

Moving mid pregancy

I am planning on moving from NYC to Florida in October but I really wanted to have my baby in NYC since I am high risk but my family thinks the weather chane in November (which is when I am due) would be too much for the baby I just would like to know what you think  should I leave in October or just wait till after the baby is born........help 

Re: Moving mid pregancy

• Options

I think there are a couple of things to consider:

--what type of area are you moving to in Florida?  If you're moving to one of the big cities, you're likely to have excellent hospitals and a wide range of OB/GYNs to choose from who have experience with your risk factors.  If, on the other hand, you're moving to a small town, you might not have as many choices and the hospitals might be smaller and less well-equipped.  I wouldn't assume that a New York hospital was automatically better than a Miami, Tallahassee, Orlando, or Jacksonville hospital.

--what makes your pregnancy high risk?  Is it a well-known risk factor or something exotic?  If it's something that's fairly well-known within the "high risk" designation, I would be less concerned about making a move.  In fact, I'd want to get the move over with so that I could establish a relationship with my new doctor asap.  Some doctors are reluctant to take new patients late in the pregnancy, and I imagine this is especially true of a high risk pregnancy.  If you can't move until October, you probably at least want to make contact with a doctor now.  Don't wait until the last minute to move and THEN start shopping around for a doctor to take on a high risk pregnancy at the 8 month mark.

--why are you moving in the first place?  If the move to FL is for a job, school, or to save money, I'd go ahead and move asap.  If you're just moving because family has pressured you to "come back home" now that you're pregnant, I wouldn't cave to that pressure.  I'd do whatever I thought was best for myself, my spouse, and my baby.

--Babies are surprisingly tough.  Thousands of babies are born in the fall and winter months in northern regions of the planet, and yet infant mortality in these regions is at an all-time low.  Babies don't get sick because it's cold outside; they get sick because they come into contact with germs.  Something as simple as washing your hands before you pick up the baby can really reduce the chance of a baby getting sick.  Also, if you can breastfeed your baby, this will give his or her immune system a tremendous boost.

I noted that this was your first post.  Did you realize you're posting on the school-aged children board?  You might also ask your question on one of the boards specific to pregnancy.  You might even see if there's a local board for the area where you're moving in FL, and ask for referrals to OB/GYNs!

GL! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"