Cloth Diapering

Share one positive of cding!

A lot of times we get people who wander in and think, "CDing must always be stinks, and leaking problems, look how many posts there are on the board." The reality is, we rarely post if there are no problems - so share something good that's happened recently!

Re: Share one positive of cding!

• I was recently complimented on ZB's "diaper cover" by another mom (she's been wearing a lot of skirts and flashing her goods all over). The mom was blown away when I told her it was a cloth diaper, and how long we've been cding.

I can't believe that we've made it this far with minimal muss and fuss. The only time ZB has been in disposables was when our washer died when she was a newbie, and then she had a detergent sensitivity. I found the opened pack of sposies and marveled that in all this time I've only had to buy 2 packs of them, and one is still half full. 

• I feel great that we aren't throwing all that trash out on the Earth. I looooove watching the magic of the diapers sunning sparkly white outside and I love that you can sell them back resulting in a super low cost diaper experience.
    Soon to be Big Sister Eowyn - DOB February 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
     BabyFruit Ticker

My family is a Foreign Service family. Families like mine are posted in every corner of the globe. We live our lives away from family, friends and the conviences and comforts of home. We often live and work in dangerous places among those that misunderstand our intentions and purposes. Sometimes members of our ranks sacrifice our lives to further diplomacy.  Please remember that we serve too. And I'm always open to questions.

• Loading the player...
  • We had friends with a LO visit last weekend and they changed him in our nursery and commented on how there was no diaper smell. Then they asked where the diaper pail was so they could throw away their dirty diaper - they were floored when I told them we used cloth! "I thought cloth would be all smelly and nasty" they said. 

Well, apparently your disposables are!

And I love doing cloth diaper laundry. If nothing else gets done on a certain day, I can look at a pile of clean diapers and know that I accomplished something : ) 

Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have fallen in love with CDing.  Since we didn't do it with our son, DH and I were wondering how it would go for us.  We've tried lots of different options, from prefolds to AIOs, and they are all amazing.  If I had to pick just one positive, I'd say the cost.  We figured we had spent nearly $3000 with our son with sposies, and when all is said and done with our stash we will have spent maybe $500.   There are so many benefits to CDing!  I never thought I could really do it, but after 3.5 months of CDing I can say that I am so glad we made the switch!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No more stinky garbage cans!  We used to throw the poop diapers in the kitchen garbage.  It stunk to high heaven by the end of the day.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • How much better for my kids it is!

I never gave a second thought to disposables.  I was one of those "OMG that is so gross" people on cloth diapers.  Then, after we had to move out of size 2 Pampers SS, we quickly found out DS2 is ridiculously allergic to any other disposable.  Literally, chunks of his skin were falling off, bleeding and oozing - I couldn't even get diaper cream to stick to his butt.  I never cared about chemicals in a diaper, figuring they were contained - but after I've seen what it can do to skin, I can't believe I haven't done this sooner.  As soon as I got enough for him, I started buying for the toddler too.  The only disposable that will ever touch these butts again is Flip inserts!

I can't begin to list all of the upsides to CDing, but this one is definitely the major one for me! 

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• In addition to everything PPs have listed, it just looks so damn cute when he is crawling around everywhere in nothing but a CD. And when he falls, which he often does, he lands on that cute fluffy cushion. 
  • I love all the options. I like how easy an AIO is for DH to change, how quickly pockets dry, the reduced amount of laundry with AI2s. I also love how fun they are to shop for! I would've never guessed CDing would be so addictive.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We decided to switch DS1 overnight a few weeks ago. He's been potty trained a while, so that's the only time he's in diapers. I wish I had done it years ago. We actually had a mood change. I'm not sure if he just wasn't sleeping well because of how itchy & chemically they were or what. But he's so much happier and easier to deal with now. It's amazing seeing it from the point of view of someone who can give real feed-back. There is no way I would use sposies with DS2. His brother has pointed out enough reasons to make any added work worth it.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have NEVER had to change a crib sheet in the middle of the night due to a leak or blowout, even when DD has slept 12 hours straight.
  • Genevieve is just starting to outgrow her infant seat, so I went to take off the cover and wash it before I put it into storage and realized that I had no idea how to get it off.  She has never had a leak or blowout in her carseat, so I have never had to wash the cover!

But, yeah, the cuteness factor reigns supreme in our house.  I love that her diapers match her outfits and she never has the saggy butt syndrome that I see on other kiddos.

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • imageFroggy76:
    I have NEVER had to change a crib sheet in the middle of the night due to a leak or blowout, even when DD has slept 12 hours straight.

THIS. I had forgotten all about the 6 (yes 6!) crib sheets I was given at a baby shower by a well-meaning relative who told me I'd thank her later for not having to do laundry every night. 

I change LO's crib sheet as often as I change my own. So 4 of those crib sheets have never seen the light of day.

• imageMidwestGidget:

imageFroggy76:
    I have NEVER had to change a crib sheet in the middle of the night due to a leak or blowout, even when DD has slept 12 hours straight.

THIS. I had forgotten all about the 6 (yes 6!) crib sheets I was given at a baby shower by a well-meaning relative who told me I'd thank her later for not having to do laundry every night. 

I change LO's crib sheet as often as I change my own. So 4 of those crib sheets have never seen the light of day.

This is us too!  The only time I've had to change the sheets in the middle of the night are when we were still figuring out her reflux meds and she spit up everywhere.  I have 4 NIP sheets I keep hoping I can pass along to someone.

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • I am thankful every time I check out at the grocery store that I don't have the expense of disposables! That is a HUGE savings- better than any couponing :)
  • LO was wearing a brand new white sleeper when he had a huge poop. Somehow he had pooped sideways and it was all over his upper thigh/butt, and inside the diaper cover, but his sleeper was still sparkly white. I cannot imagine how a flimsy disposable would have managed to contain that mess. It almost certainly would have been running down his leg. Ick!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 11/23/10 MMC @ 7w3d Discovered @ 10w2d D&C 1/12/11

BFP 7/6/11 Our Lucky Charm born 3/5/12
  • I love that I don't need to buy a single diaper for LO#2.  However, I am sure some cute girly prints will make their way into my stash. Stick out tongue
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My favorite overnight diaper was out of commission the other day, so I used a disposable (we have to provide daycare with a "back up" of disposables despite them NEVER having to have used them...but anyway, so we always have a few lying around).  The next morning, I picked him up all dressed for work and there was poop EVERYWHERE.  He needed a bath, I had to strip bedding and change my work clothes, etc.  That kind of leaky, nasty, blowout mess has never happened in a cloth diaper.  Not once.  I bought a few more overnight diapers for our stash, and hope I never have to use a disposable again.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I feel GOOD about putting LO in his diapers!  Putting him in sposies when he was a NB made me feel guilty.  I hated seeing how many we used and how much space just a day's worth took up in the trash.  I hate putting them on LO because I don't even know what kind of crap is in those things.  I know I'm doing what's best for my son, the environment, and our wallet!  

Plus, it is SOOO fun to tell the ppl that once doubted and judged you that yes, it's going wonderfully!  I love seeing them fascinated whenever I change LO.  ;)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageGibsonGirl620:

I feel GOOD about putting LO in his diapers!  Putting him in sposies when he was a NB made me feel guilty.  I hated seeing how many we used and how much space just a day's worth took up in the trash.  I hate putting them on LO because I don't even know what kind of crap is in those things.  I know I'm doing what's best for my son, the environment, and our wallet!  

Plus, it is SOOO fun to tell the ppl that once doubted and judged you that yes, it's going wonderfully!  I love seeing them fascinated whenever I change LO.  ;)

I second all of this!! 

• One year in and we have yet to have a single diaper rash!
  • My DH makes me smile when we're talking about doing disposables on vacation, and he wanted to pack the night time cloth diapers... because they never, ever leak. I've also noticed that disposables have a weird stink to them, even when it's just pee. Not a fan. That's more of a negative to disposables, though.

My positives for cloth: you get to do cool things like break world records at the Great Cloth Diaper Change on the 21st. It's a fun community to be a part of.

• I love that they don't stink. Not even a bit. We recently babysat a friend's kids and even DH commented on how badly the sposies stunk - you could tell immediately when they just peed. 

I looooooooove that we don't have to budget for diapers every month. DH is fond of bragging that excluding daycare our LO doesn't cost us anything on a monthly basis! (I ebf). I feel pretty good when I get to skip the diaper aisle in the supermarket - can't beat that feeling!

I love how easy CDs are to use - I thought it'd be way more complicated and time consuming, but it truly isn't.  

And yeah, I'll be honest - I love all the cute colours and prints on her CDs. Even DH loves to match 'em to her outfit.  

• memo9memo9 member
    imageLennongirl:

I looooooooove that we don't have to budget for diapers every month. DH is fond of bragging that excluding daycare our LO doesn't cost us anything on a monthly basis! (I ebf). I feel pretty good when I get to skip the diaper aisle in the supermarket - can't beat that feeling!

DH works with a bunch of men and they were discussing how much formula and diapers add to their grocery bills every week.  He was very proud of the fact that we don't have either of those expenses.  

• In my small nursery, the space I need for all of the CD's isn't even close to how much space my sister's disposables take up!

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"