1st Trimester

All beef hot dogs

Someone told me that I can't eat hot dogs while pregnant. Something about nitrates or something? Has anyone else heard that? I know some people don't like hot dogs so sorry if this grosses anyone out. But I LOVE a good all beef dog, hot off the grill with some chili on it cheese over it. If I grill it really good, don't you think it'd be okay to eat? I just bought a new package of them and everything right before finding out I was pregnant. 

What do y'all think?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: All beef hot dogs

• i have ate two so far... with chili on them. i know its not good for ya but i cant help myself lol
  • There are different schools of thought on this so it just depends on what your comfort level is.  There are two risks.  One is listeria, which would be killed off by heating the hot dog through.  The second risk is nitrates, which are just as much a concern when you're not pregnant.  You can buy nitrate free hot dogs.  For me, I don't eat a ton of hot dogs so it's not a huge concern to me which kind I buy.  I buy the nitrate free ones if I'm buying them but I wouldn't avoid a "regular" one if that's what was on hand.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • imageelmoali:
    There are different schools of thought on this so it just depends on what your comfort level is.  There are two risks.  One is listeria, which would be killed off by heating the hot dog through.  The second risk is nitrates, which are just as much a concern when you're not pregnant.  You can buy nitrate free hot dogs.  For me, I don't eat a ton of hot dogs so it's not a huge concern to me which kind I buy.  I buy the nitrate free ones if I'm buying them but I wouldn't avoid a "regular" one if that's what was on hand.

Totally this!

Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image
  • Here is a link to a great brand of nitrate/nitrite free hotdogs if you are interested.

https://www.applegatefarms.com/

Together since 2/9/2004.  Married 11/8/2008.   BFP 3/2012.  Sofana Klara 11/20/12.  TTC #2 3/2014.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The hot dog mania continues to amaze me...there are also tons of nitrates in bacon but nobody is saying we can't eat that.  It's in pretty much any processed meat..
  • imageelmoali:
    There are different schools of thought on this so it just depends on what your comfort level is.  There are two risks.  One is listeria, which would be killed off by heating the hot dog through.  The second risk is nitrates, which are just as much a concern when you're not pregnant.  You can buy nitrate free hot dogs.  For me, I don't eat a ton of hot dogs so it's not a huge concern to me which kind I buy.  I buy the nitrate free ones if I'm buying them but I wouldn't avoid a "regular" one if that's what was on hand.

All this. I rarely eat hot dogs but if I wanted one I wouldn't think much about it. Some people avoid them completely, as well as lunch meat. It seems a little dramatic.

• My ob said as long as you cook the heck out of it and aren't eating it all the time I few hot dogs now and then are no big deal
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Its fine if fully cooked and in moderation. 

I hadn't eaten meat in 10 years til I was pregnant with DD and I got cravings for hot dogs. I gave in. lol 

• Everything in moderation.
  • My doctor gave me a packet that has a list of foods that I cannot eat and it specifically said all hot dogs are off limits.
  • i've eating a few... cook thoroughly and i think u're fine in moderation
    TTC since 10/2010; 3 rounds of clomid 2011- BFNs; IUI #1: 6/2012 BFN; IUI #2: 10/2012 BFP, lost our little one around 6 weeks; IUI #3: 3/2012 BFP, Beta #1 13dpo: 464, Beta #2 18dpo: 3,727. U/s #1:5 sacs, 4 heartbeats! U/s 4/26: 5 heartbeats! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you all! I found some nitrate free all beef dogs at the grocery store today. Oscar Meyer makes them. I had some chili dogs for dinner, YUM! I feel a billion times better!

• I love the Applegate Farms brand! I love a good hot dog too, and the nitrates are bad for all people, pregnant or not. It's in most processed meat. Buy a nitrate free and grill away!
  • My OB said just no raw hotdogs, I love some good hotdogs and we grill all summer and cook them over the fire when camping all summer.  So I will be eating some hotdogs!  I did when I was pregnant with my son and I will do it again this time.  Yummy now I want a nice cheesy hotdog!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"