Baby Showers
Options

Those who have had/ will have a gender reveal party....

Where are you from? I am thinking this must be a regional thing. Until the bump, I had never heard of having a party to reveal the news.

We were team green, but the standard is here is parents find out and if they want others to know they call some friends and family and the news gets spread. No party, no cupcakes, nothing like that.

Maybe us snarky NYers just can't be bothered. But, based on the number of posts I have seen about these parties, they must be really popular somewhere, so I am curious now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Those who have had/ will have a gender reveal party....

• Options
    oooooh you're team green? You should have a baby reveal like I'm having! See the post below.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not having a gender reveal party, but a friend of mine did, here in northeastern Ohio. Yes, a super whitebread kind of town. But quit judging all Ohio people!! I didn't have the stupid gender reveal!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    some people try to keep busy and make time go by, by having all types of parties. annouce the baby party, the gender party, the baby shower, sip and see (having a party to see the baby after its born) just ways to make time past and keep everyone up to date its really up to you and if you have the money for all of this. People bring gifts to all but i only think its a bit much because friends and family memebers get tired of spending so much money some just wait for the baby shower and not show up to all events.
  • Options

imagecouliegirl:
    oooooh you're team green? You should have a baby reveal like I'm having! See the post below.

We were team green, had a girl.

But you idea is awesome! Maybe for the next one, but I would want it catered in the hospital.

• Options
    imagemollybloom:

imagecouliegirl:

But you idea is awesome! Maybe for the next one, but I would want it catered in the hospital.

If you schedule a c-section or induction, you'll be able to give the hospital kitchen advance notice... then you can just have the hospital's cafeteria cater it for you. I mean, they already have the food carts, individually wrapped slices of bread and those little domes that keep the food at a nice lukewarm temperature.

For the record, I'm in podunk rural Pennsylvania. We don't have such things here. We just got our own Wal-Mart.

H's sister lives outside of Los Angeles. They don't have such events there either. She's an AW any-excuse-to-have-a-party-to-show-off-her-$$ type. She'd have flown us out there and thrown a party if it was normal to do out there. She's that into appearances.

• Options
    imagesrs5624:
    imagemollybloom:

imagecouliegirl:

If you schedule a c-section or induction, you'll be able to give the hospital kitchen advance notice... then you can just have the hospital's cafeteria cater it for you. I mean, they already have the food carts, individually wrapped slices of bread and those little domes that keep the food at a nice lukewarm temperature.

For the record, I'm in podunk rural Pennsylvania. We don't have such things here. We just got our own Wal-Mart.

H's sister lives outside of Los Angeles. They don't have such events there either. She's an AW any-excuse-to-have-a-party-to-show-off-her-$$ type. She'd have flown us out there and thrown a party if it was normal to do out there. She's that into appearances.

Ditto. I live in bumf*ck (we also just got a Walmart...) and I'm actually from a real city and I have never heard of it before.  I think its LAME.  I also think these "diaper parties" for husbands that people ask about are the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.  I wouldn't throw or attend either one.

imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    dojo1dojo1 member
    Thank goodness for you!  I was starting to think the entire world of pregnant women were sitting around staring at themselves and basking in the glory of their achievements.  Honestly, gender reveals are stupid and sickeningly attention seeking.  It's one step above people who find out the gender but torture anyone who actually cares by keeping it to themselves, akin to "I know something you don't know... Nana nana boo boo, stick your head in doo doo!"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We had a gender reveal 'party' but it wasn't really a big deal. We just had my parents, DH's parents, and siblings together for dinner and served cake after dinner. When they cut the cake open it revealed the gender. It was a lot of fun and we did it that way so we could tell everyone the gender at the same time. My younger sister got bent out of shape because I told my older sister first that I was pregnant. We just decided that this would be a fun way to share with both families together (My family and DH's family live in Hawaii but his family is originally from NYC and everyone loved the idea - though they hated waiting until the dinner to find out!). It was casual - no gifts or decorations, just a cake for desert with pink filling!
  • Options

imagekaitylin:
    We had a gender reveal 'party' but it wasn't really a big deal. We just had my parents, DH's parents, and siblings together for dinner and served cake after dinner. When they cut the cake open it revealed the gender. It was a lot of fun and we did it that way so we could tell everyone the gender at the same time. My younger sister got bent out of shape because I told my older sister first that I was pregnant. We just decided that this would be a fun way to share with both families together (My family and DH's family live in Hawaii but his family is originally from NYC and everyone loved the idea - though they hated waiting until the dinner to find out!). It was casual - no gifts or decorations, just a cake for desert with pink filling!

I don't see anything wrong with that. We live out of state but if we were living near our family (and if we were finding out the sex), I think that would be a cute idea to do with the grandparents so they could all find out together. I think there is a huge difference between telling your family over dessert, and throwing an all-out party with invitations and everything.

• Options

I think all of this is so funny...we will have a sibling reveal, for reasons I wrote in the other post. I'm in the Southeast...we love a party for no reason other than it's Tuesday. Gotta bring out the china and silver someway...

I'm thinking that DD should have her own sibling registry for stuff she'll need when the baby comes. At our local BRU, you can register for Apple products, so since she'll need an iPad, we'll probably do it there.

• Options
    imageKateMW:

I think all of this is so funny...we will have a sibling reveal, for reasons I wrote in the other post. I'm in the Southeast...we love a party for no reason other than it's Tuesday. Gotta bring out the china and silver someway...

I'm thinking that DD should have her own sibling registry for stuff she'll need when the baby comes. At our local BRU, you can register for Apple products, so since she'll need an iPad, we'll probably do it there.

Are you kidding me? This is a whole new kind of gift grab. Why the H does your kid need an iPad? I'm 30 effing years old and don't need an iPad. And if YOU think she needs one buy it yourself. Don't expect other's to buy your kid something to make her feel special just because you decided to pop out another little bundle of poop.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    upstate NY... i would have waited until the birth but this was the compromise with my fiance
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecouliegirl:
    imageKateMW:

Are you kidding me? This is a whole new kind of gift grab. Why the H does your kid need an iPad? I'm 30 effing years old and don't need an iPad. And if YOU think she needs one buy it yourself. Don't expect other's to buy your kid something to make her feel special just because you decided to pop out another little bundle of poop.

Totally agree. I'm horrified by the bolded.  WTF!!!!???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagediscobelle:
    imagelaurakaz13:
    imagecouliegirl:
    imageKateMW:

Totally agree. I'm horrified by the bolded.  WTF!!!!???

She was being sarcastic, right?

No way she's for real... 

Yes she's being sarcastic...Y'all are too easy. 

• Options
    imagecouliegirl:
    imageKateMW:

Yes, I was kidding with you. You need to relax. Anyway, she already has an iPad.  

• Options

I live in Wisconsin and I have never heard of a gender reveal party.  But.....it does sound like something fun to do with close family over for dinner or on a girls night. 

I did something similar with my female students (I teach at a middle school and have one girls-only class that I'm close with.)  Anyway, when we found out it was a girl I bought a white cake, red dye, and chocolate frosting.  One of the girls cut into the cake to reveal the pink inside and then we chowed down.  It was a ton of fun and the girls got the biggest kick out of it.

• Options

I'm from a small town in Texas and the gender reveal parties are big here. We plan on having one. Although...a lot of you are posting about just another way to load up on gifts...from what I'm aware of nobody brings a gift. Friends and family get together and you have a baker or whoever bake your cake and when you cut into it you can see what the sex is. So it's a surprise to the parents to be and the friends and family. Just a fun way to break the news and celebrate!

Here is a friend of mine's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6ZDM38gno8

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm from NW Ohio...I thought about having his parents, and my parents together and all of us finding out the gender together. (simply because my mom is throwing a big b!tch fit about not being able to be present during the birth, or the U/S since I live in Central Ohio now.) I don't think a gender get-together is bad, but when you start expecting people to come with big boxes wrapped in paper with bows and sh!t, yeah...you've gone overboard. 
  • Options

imageDO-JO:
    Thank goodness for you!  I was starting to think the entire world of pregnant women were sitting around staring at themselves and basking in the glory of their achievements.  Honestly, gender reveals are stupid and sickeningly attention seeking.  It's one step above people who find out the gender but torture anyone who actually cares by keeping it to themselves, akin to "I know something you don't know... Nana nana boo boo, stick your head in doo doo!"

DoJo, if I didn't love you before, I do now!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

I'm in TN and work at a cupcake shop and we've done quite a few. Everyone at work is delighted that I'm going to do a gender reveal cupcake. Like others said, I'm not expecting any gifts. It will probably be a light luncheon to just share the surprise with my coworkers/friends/and family. It's the first baby in our company and they squealed with delight when I told them I wanted to do it.

I really have no idea where all this negativity and holier than thou attitude comes from some posters. :(

It's fine if you want to do it and fine if you don't!

• Options
    A friend of mine did it at her shower. The shower cake was the gender reveal, and I thought it was really cute.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"