Military Families
Options

Headed to Ramstein, any advice?

We are t-90 days until we leave, just found out this week! We have PCSed several times but not to Germany.  

I'm just looking for some general advice or little lessons learned along the way. TIA!! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Headed to Ramstein, any advice?

• Options
    This is our second tour here and honestly I recommend getting your USAEUR license before you get here.  It's offered at most if not all education centers.  I did that and I am so glad I did.  We didn't have to rely on anyone to take us to see houses, we just rented a cheap beater.  Most people were renting 800 euro a month cars, we settle for a beater (who needs style! LOL)  for 300 euro a month.  Big savings.  That's the biggest thing for us.  Houses won't be any good to look at until you get here.  They usually go fairly quick.  PM me if you have any questions.
  • Options
    That's fantastic!  We're PCSing there in mid-May and the stress is definitely starting to set in :)  One of my friends sent me some absolutely amazing documents full of advice about moving to Germany--pets, voltage, househunting, virtually anything you can think of.  PM me with your email and I'd be happy to send it to you!

Married 11/24/2007
    TTC since 11/2010
    Diagnosed with MFI and advanced maternal aging
    IVF with ICSI transferred 2 embies 3/3/2012
    BFP 3/10/2012
    EDD 11/22/2012
    IT'S TWINS!!!

My Blog:
    Blog

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecnv1237:
    This is our second tour here and honestly I recommend getting your USAEUR license before you get here.  It's offered at most if not all education centers.  I did that and I am so glad I did.  We didn't have to rely on anyone to take us to see houses, we just rented a cheap beater.  Most people were renting 800 euro a month cars, we settle for a beater (who needs style! LOL)  for 300 euro a month.  Big savings.  That's the biggest thing for us.  Houses won't be any good to look at until you get here.  They usually go fairly quick.  PM me if you have any questions.

This is no longer available for dependents. https://www.everythingkmc.com/showthread.php?t=12225

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    jb2rnjb2rn member

Hi! I am in Stuttgart, so I can't speak to Ramstein specifics, but I can about Germany.

I second getting a license. If dependents can't, have your husband do it. We also rented a car until ours arrived, and it retrospect, a "beater" may have been more economical.

Start saving extra $$ if you can. There were a lot of up front costs - yes you can use transformers for some of your 110v appliances, but other things will get fried/not work so you will want to buy new. We purchased a new vaccum cleaner, microwave, etc.

Start learning some basic German if you can. I was doing Rosetta stone in the states, but only halfheartedly. I wish I had buckled down and learned more. I thought people would speak English more than they do.

Do you have pets? If you do, start the process now. There is specific paperwork and you need to see a USDA vet to sign off on it.

best of luck!

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options
    imageIlumine:

imagecnv1237:

This is no longer available for dependents. https://www.everythingkmc.com/showthread.php?t=12225

Well that stinks!  I agree with other poster, if you can't have your husband.  We used Powell's Auto Rental in Ramstein Village.  Also, agree with the money part.  It's so darn expensive to PCS.  Luckily I just heard AFAF is offering a move in interest free "loan" which is helpful (I can't remember the name but just received a briefing on it).  Good luck!

• Options

Thanks everyone!  I researched the driver's license and DH can take the test here as long as he is within 60 days of our departure date.

We have PCSed to and from overseas already so we are set with passports and our cat died a year ago:( so no worries about pets. 

I'm working 3 jobs to save a bunch of money since I do not know how long until I work once I arrive.  I have a job, just need to find daycare.   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"