Trying to Get Pregnant

Let's talk Hair dye! S/O from 2WW discussion

Well Dawn posted in the 2WW thread about how she is going to "dye till it's pink"  implying that she will stop getting her hair colored/highlighted once she gets a BFP!

This came as a surprise to me because I thought it was an old wives tale that hair dye was dangerous during pregnancy (or perhaps it was dangerous back in the day when they used more crazy chemicals!)

What do you ladies think??    If you get a BFP, will you stop getting your hair done and go au naturale? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Let's talk Hair dye! S/O from 2WW discussion

• Well I have naturally dark brown hair and don't dye it to begin with. However, I thought that was an old wives tale too. The products they use have been changed over time to be safer.
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • NO WAY! I will NOT stop dying my hair when I get my BFP and throughout my pregnancy! My mom colored her hair through her entire pregnancy with me and my sister and we both turned out just fine!!!

That is the one thing I'm not willing to give up!

lots of <3 to my TBBFF Sothernpeach80 - BABY ETHAN IS HERE! 02.04.13 <3

TTC #1 since Jan 2012

BFP #1 07/27/12 - EDD 04/07/13; C/P on 07/31/12

BFP #2 10/11/12 - EDD 06/24/13; Blighted Ovum; D&C 11/30/12

BFP #3 03/10/13 - EDD 11/17/13 - PLEASE BE OUR TAKE HOME BABY!

Beta #1 - 95.8 (12DPO); Beta #2 - 502 (15DPO); Beta #3 - 2003 (18DPO)

First U/S showed one beautiful baby measuring 7w1d with a HR of 148!!! Second U/S showed baby measuring 9w0d with a HR of 173!!!

My Ugly BFP Chart

“I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much." -Mother Teresa

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never met a stylist whose baby had issues from hair dye and they are breathing in and getting more on their skin than I am. 
  • No, I will continue highlighting my hair. The products are different than they used to be. Plus, my stylist used a different technique before, just in case. 
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • Yeah I mean I probably won't go between BFP and ten weeks but I'm not going to stop.  My sister got hers done the week her baby came (one time and healthy and all that).
  • I've heard that highlighting is ok, because it uses foil and doesn't really touch your scalp.....::shrugs::
    party-fails-crunk-critters-bruce-isnt-good-with-tequila
    see more After 12
    Just because something isn't happening for you right now doesn't mean it will never happen.
    IUI #1 - BFN IUI #2 - BFN
    IVF - Starting injects May 25 IVF #1 - BFP!
  • I got my regular highlights throughout my pregnancy (including 1st tri...gasp!).  I had an easy pregnancy and birth and ended up with a healthy litttle boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm in serious trouble if I can't dye my hair once I get my BFP...I'm about 50% gray without color on my hair. I started going gray in high school.  I'd have some pretty serious roots if I stopped.

Please, someone tell me it will be OK to continue.

My Age - 41, DH's Age - 42

TTC #1 since November 2011
    Dx: Endometriosis, Stenosis of the Cervix, Uterine Polyp, Hostile CM and Borderline PCOS
    Stage 1 Endo and Uterine Polyp removed and Cervix widened on July 9, 2012.
    IUI #1 Clomid 50 mg - 3/6/13 BFN
    IUI #2 Clomid 50 mg - 4/3/13 BFN
    IUI #3 Clomid 50 mg - 10/4/13 BFN
    IUI #4 Clomid 100 mg + HCG trigger - 11/2/13 BFN
    Cycle #28 - Clomid 100 mg + HCG trigger + TI (IUI #5 cancelled) - 2/5/14 BFN
    IUI #5 Clomid 100 mg + HCG trigger - 3/5/14 BFN

• imagemrskitton:
    I've heard that highlighting is ok, because it uses foil and doesn't really touch your scalp.....::shrugs::

I heard the same from my hairdresser.. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm just working off of doctor's orders.  When I got my BFP 2 cycles ago, I called the doctor and they said absolutely NO hair color in the first trimester.  It's probably fine but I don't want to risk it.
    Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• imageAllison546:

imagemrskitton:
    I've heard that highlighting is ok, because it uses foil and doesn't really touch your scalp.....::shrugs::

I heard the same from my hairdresser.. 

THIS! For those who want a full dye/bleach, ask your ob/gyn if there are any serious health consequences

~TTC#1 Since July 2011~ 
    Dx: Fibroids & Tubal Infertility
                                                        9/12 -IVF#1 =BFN; 5/14 -IVF#2=BFP:-) EDD 2.19.2015                                                

S/PAIF Welcome 

imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• My hair is natural, but I won't be giving up sunless tanning lotion from time to time.
  • I bleached (40 volume) my hair every six weeks for my entire pregnancy...DS is just fine.  I think products  have changed substantially from the time when this MAY have been a concern.
  • I will not stop coloring my hair when I am KU. Can't do it.

My sister is a stylist and colored/highlighted other people's hair all through her pregnancy and had no issues, so I feel like I will be fine.

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

• I've heard that it's perfectly fine, that you should avoid it at least in the 1st trimester & I've heard that you should avoid it all together.

When I was pregnant with Evan I just avoided it during my frist tri. and then started dying/highlighting as soon as I hit 2nd tri...

I guess it's one of those things like, "Don't eat lunchmeat, hotdogs, tuna fish, feta cheese, ect...Don't dye your hair or lay out in the sun...blah blah blah"..I did ALL of the above *::gasp::* and he is 100% healthy.

To each their own...

<3 *Evan Michael* <3
    {06/15/2010 ~ 9lbs. 4oz, 22.5in.}
    <3 *Twin Angel Babies* <3
    {Said Goodbye on 08/13/2011 at 17w3d}
    No longer TTC
    *~Kisses to My Bestie Boo, ScrappyLika~*

• I didn't follow any of the 'rules' while I was pregnant. So yeah, I coloured my hair.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• I don't really dye my hair so I won't do it while pregnant.  I would talk about it with my doctor and find out what the issues were and what the risks were before I would dye my hair if it's something I wanted to do.
  • I think I heard that its not bad to do it. You just need to make sure you are in a well vented area so your not breathing in all the chemicals.
    Off bc since 2/11. Started opk's on7/11. Temping since 1/12. DH SA= Normal :)HSG was normal. 4th cycle of Letrozole 5mg daily. 3 failed iui's. Had 4th one done, fx for 12/18. :) 1st BFP 12/15/12 BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagekarlie87:
    I think I heard that its not bad to do it. You just need to make sure you are in a well vented area so your not breathing in all the chemicals.

What you're breathing in is the issue, not it getting on you. So if you wouldn't color your hair you can't get it cut unless your salon doesn't color anyone's hair.  

• Heck no!!!!!  Funny, I just got my summer highlights yesterday and my stylist said it's an old wives tale.  She did say it's probably not the smartest to get an all over hair color that may need several processes ie stripping the color, then applying another color. 
  • I won't be dying my hair but it's only because I started changing my hair color in 6th grade so I figured it's time to get back to my "natural" color (seeing as I don't actually remember what it looks like!)

Anyways Mayo Clinic is usually my go to site for medical advice, they say it's fine.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-dye-and-pregnancy/AN00241

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    blog
    Diagnosed hypothyroidism.
  • In current news, I'm watching a rerun of The Soup and they just had a clip on how Kourtney Kardashian is getting sh*t because she dyed her hair at 8 months.  He then said it was okay because it was just her back hair ;)
    Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• imagedawn2zzs:
    In current news, I'm watching a rerun of The Soup and they just had a clip on how Kourtney Kardashian is getting sh*t because she dyed her hair at 8 months.  He then said it was okay because it was just her back hair ;)

OMG hahahahha

I plan to ask my OB what she thinks whenever the time comes.  I definitely won't do it in 1st tri, but I'm pretty sure if you're getting it done in a well ventilated area then you wouldn't be breathing in too many harsh chemicals.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Falling in Love!  November 2014
  • My hairdresser said it was fine to get highlights, she would just keep the dye off my scalp (which I think she does anyway).

I'm trying to grow out my hair so I can get rid of my very blond highlights and go back to my natural color without doing a full dye job. Thank god my natural color is just a dirty dishwater blond and the sun gives me natural highlights

• I will defiantly do my hair throughout!!!  Like pp said my mother never showed roots(she is a hair dresser and cos teacher) and my sis and I are just fine and that was 26 years ago.  I defiantly think the chemicals are much safer.  Heck I know women who get acrylic nails done every 2weeks. I'm guessing that is safe too?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since May 2011-Me 26 DH 24
    BFP 7.01.2011 c/p @ 4wks3.2012 Metformin 500mg for irregular cycles
  • I'll keep getting highlights.
Search Boards
"
"