January 2011 Moms
Options

NTR: Hunger Games?

Has anyone ready the books and/or seen the movie?

I only heard about it recently (I guess 'cause I'm not a teenager and they don't talk about it on Sprout). DH and I decided to see what the hype was about and got the first book. I read the first chapter and thought the concept was really sick and wasn't going to keep reading. But then I did and could not put it down. I read the first book in 1 day and I really want to read the 2nd because I think I will like the plot more (this is based one what I imagine will happen next, not on anything else).

I don't know if I'll see the movies though. I'm kind of curious, but I feel like I won't like them as much as the books and that I won't like watching the violence.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13

Re: NTR: Hunger Games?

• Options
    imageRedZee:

I only heard about it recently (I guess 'cause I'm not a teenager and they don't talk about it on Sprout). DH and I decided to see what the hype was about and got the first book. I read the first chapter and thought the concept was really sick and wasn't going to keep reading. But then I did and could not put it down. I read the first book in 1 day and I really want to read the 2nd because I think I will like the plot more (this is based one what I imagine will happen next, not on anything else).

I don't know if I'll see the movies though. I'm kind of curious, but I feel like I won't like them as much as the books and that I won't like watching the violence.

This was me exactly.  I will warn you that I could have walked away after the first book and been okay for a while.  (I mean, I wanted to read the second one, but I would not have died without it).  After the second book, I needed the third to find out what happened.  So, you may want to have it on hand. 

I have not seen the movie yet, but I have heard it is not very violent.  I really would like to see it, but DH wants to see it too.  It is nearly impossible for us both to go to a movie so we will probably have to wait to rent it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    SS got the first book for his bday, I was wondering if I should give it a go.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagebethyla:
    imageRedZee:

This was me exactly.  I will warn you that I could have walked away after the first book and been okay for a while.  (I mean, I wanted to read the second one, but I would not have died without it).  After the second book, I needed the third to find out what happened.  So, you may want to have it on hand. 

I have not seen the movie yet, but I have heard it is not very violent.  I really would like to see it, but DH wants to see it too.  It is nearly impossible for us both to go to a movie so we will probably have to wait to rent it.

Yesterday we got the second and third books. I was supposed to start reading the second this weekend during the holiday. I am now halfway done with it. I just got to the part where they find out what is going to happen for the Quarter Quell and it turned me off - which hopefully means I'll get some cleaning done today! But now I'm glad we got the 3rd book at the same time.

• Options
    I hope you like them!
  • Options

I like them a lot so far, but I found the tense she used really distracting.  "I pick up my bow and run" instead of the typical "I picked up my bow and ran." I know it's to bring immediacy to her actions, but yeah.

I read the first one in a day, then got the second and read that in 2-3 days.  I'm kind of putting off the 3rd though, because I've heard from a lot of people that the first was excellent and the second was so-so, but the 3rd is a struggle to finish, and I've found that to be the case so far.

• Options
    imagebroccolitree:

I like them a lot so far, but I found the tense she used really distracting.  "I pick up my bow and run" instead of the typical "I picked up my bow and ran." I know it's to bring immediacy to her actions, but yeah.

I read the first one in a day, then got the second and read that in 2-3 days.  I'm kind of putting off the 3rd though, because I've heard from a lot of people that the first was excellent and the second was so-so, but the 3rd is a struggle to finish, and I've found that to be the case so far.

I liked the 2nd the best I think.  But the 3rd was my least favorite. 

• Options
    imagebroccolitree:

I used to hate when authors wrote in present tense, and still often prefer past tense. But in this case, I think it needs to be in present tense because it means you learn things as she does and it's not clear what happens in the future. For these books, I think it adds to it.

I finished the second book yesterday Embarrassed I'm not letting myself start the third until this weekend though because I don't want to get sick of the books either and I really need to finish preparing for Passover!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"