Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Red blotches and dry top lip, is this normal? PIP

My LO is 10 days old and started having red blotches on his cheeks last night.  They seem to come and go and I've noticed they get worse while i'm BFing him.  They are red blotches with a tiny white dot in the middle.  They are on his cheeks and chin close to his mouth.  Here's a pic.  Is this normal?  Any thoughts on what it might by?

I also noticed that his top inner lip is white.  It's hard to touch, like a chapped/dry lip.  Is this normal?  Could it be from BFing?

TIA for any advice/help.  I'm a first time mom and have no idea if these things are normal or not.  I have a lot of food allergies/intolerance so i'm worried i've passed them on to LO.  He's also having a lot of gas.  His face turns bright red after BFing and he grunts, strains, cries and looks like he's in pain.  It doesn't last too long, I hold him and tap his bottom a little and it seems to pass.  But i'm worried he may be allergic to something i'm eating.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Red blotches and dry top lip, is this normal? PIP

• Do you notice the blotches anywhere else on his body? That looks exactly like newborn rash. Newborn rash can come and go and usually appears at the top of the body first and works its way down the body and then disappears starting at the feet and going up, so you will notice it more on the face.  As for the lip, that looks normal too. I think their mouth is so wet while they are eating and then it dries up in between feedings.
  • imageJenJH923:
    Do you notice the blotches anywhere else on his body? That looks exactly like newborn rash. Newborn rash can come and go and usually appears at the top of the body first and works its way down the body and then disappears starting at the feet and going up, so you will notice it more on the face.  As for the lip, that looks normal too. I think their mouth is so wet while they are eating and then it dries up in between feedings.

So far the blotches are only on his face.  I just noticed one on his ear lobe.  But they are on both cheeks, his chin and one on his ear lobe.  No where else on his body yet.  If it's newborn rash is there anything I can do for it?  Or it'll just go away on it's own.  Thanks for your response! 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • My LO had the exact same bumps around the same age. They looked like little zits or bug bites or something. Our pedi said it was a normal newborn rash, it has a name but I can't remember what he called it.  It cleared up on its own. 
  • It will just clear up on its own.  You might see it and then it will go away a few minutes or hours later and then it could reappear.  It will stop eventually and it isn't thought to be itchy or bothersome to the baby- but who knows.
  • yep DS had the exact same thing!  i thought it was flea bites or something at first.  i saw them for the first time around the same age as your LO and it was at night.  i was going to call the dr in the morning, but by then they were already better. 

also the lip thing...totally normal. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not sure about the blotches, but DSs lip looks the same way sometimes. I'm pretty sure it's from BFing.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"