Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Who do you judge?

Re: Who do you judge?

• imagejcole32444:

This has nothing to do with GB surgery. But I judge people with addictions too. Like smoking, drinking, drugs etc. I think it is a mental issue and it is their fault they started to begin with. No one can say they did not know the risks, it was addicting etc.

I judge people who are willfully misguided enough to think this. 

"To me, you are perfect."

• imagembenit4:

I judge women who don't wear bras when you can clearly tell one is needed.

I judge my coworkers for ordering piles of food for lunch and then a diet drink.

I order diet Coke at McDonalds knowing full well it looks silly, but I like the taste of diet better.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Everyone.
    flight photo flight_zpsa49d4a0f.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker TickerI'm a -retired- bronze super member Hi, I'm Dave's wife...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I judge people who let their preteen and teenage daughters wear booty shorts and slutty clothes in public. I don't care of your daughter just left dance class, she can put sweat pants on to go shopping.

I judge the *** out of blatant hypocrisy.

I judge teenagers who drop out of high school because it's boring, and they don't want to follow the rules.

• imageMom2Oli:
    imagejcole32444:

imageUnpossible:

Lolwhut?

I guess I think it is mind over matter type of thing. I think that those people could quite/stop using/drinking if they wanted to. And I judge them. But I think I judge more based on personal experiences of mine people close to my family that have addications.

have you been around somebody trying to quit smoking? It's brutal.

So if a woman smokes when she's pregnant it's ok, because it would be brutal for her to quit?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageSookieFrackhouse68:
    imageRayRay007:
    imagembenit4:

I judge my coworkers for ordering piles of food for lunch and then a diet drink.

I order diet Coke at McDonalds knowing full well it looks silly, but I like the taste of diet better.

I forever get bigass meals with a Diet Coke. It tastes better, and I've knocked about 300 calories off my already unhealthy meal.

I rock.

As a borderline diabetic, I cannot have sodas containing HFCS. I have to drink diet sodas, no matter what I choose to eat. The carbs in food do not affect my pancreas the way HFCS in sodas does. I don't know why. So it may look silly, but there's a "medical" reason for my diet drink with my large fries.

• imageEVA116:
    Kinda upset that people judge smokers....why?

I will judge obnoxious smokers. Like my own mother, who was seated at our outdoor wedding reception with my MIL (2 time breast cancer survivor whose lungs are damaged from radiation treatment), and her parents who were over 80 yrs old. Mom wanted to smoke at the table and got pisssy when MIL asked her to do it away from the table. Or that she kept smoking around me after I was diagnosed with asthma and I just need to toughen up/  I know you have every 'right' to smoke, but when it causes others' discomfort or they have frail health, just accept that it will be inconvenient sometimes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMom2Oli:

Ha, yeah. It's seriously awful. I can't imagine how difficult it is to quit that. 

Jack Anderson 2.28.10 Our amazing little man. image
  • imageMom2Oli:
    I judge people who think that just because I want a Big Mac, I should also add on the calories from a regular coke. I'd rather enjoy my burger and save on the 3200 calories by enjoying a 32 oz Coke Zero instead.

You had fu3king surgery to lose weight and you eat big macs and drink chemicals? You are a moron.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageUnpossible:
    imagejcole32444:

imageUnpossible:

Lolwhut?

I guess I think it is mind over matter type of thing. I think that those people could quite/stop using/drinking if they wanted to. And I judge them. But I think I judge more based on personal experiences of mine people close to my family that have addications.

But you said it is a 'mental issue' and it is. It's a disease, a disorder - you're no better off telling someone with diabetes to 'quit having diabetes.'

I see a difference between a medical disease and a mental disorder.

• imageUnpossible:
    imagejcole32444:

imageUnpossible:

Lolwhut?

But you said it is a 'mental issue' and it is. It's a disease, a disorder - you're no better off telling someone with diabetes to 'quit having diabetes.'

If it's self caused, type 2, you can quit having it. With some willpower. But it might be too "brutal".

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMom2Oli:
    imagejcole32444:

imageUnpossible:

Lolwhut?

I have seen it first hand, several times over. But those people choose to start. They were not forced. Therefore I judge.

• SGC29SGC29 member
    imagehistorychick79:

imageEVA116:
    Kinda upset that people judge smokers....why?

I will judge obnoxious smokers. Like my own mother, who was seated at our outdoor wedding reception with my MIL (2 time breast cancer survivor whose lungs are damaged from radiation treatment), and her parents who were over 80 yrs old. Mom wanted to smoke at the table and got pisssy when MIL asked her to do it away from the table. Or that she kept smoking around me after I was diagnosed with asthma and I just need to toughen up/  I know you have every 'right' to smoke, but when it causes others' discomfort or they have frail health, just accept that it will be inconvenient sometimes.

I judge obnoxious smokers too. I don't judge the addiction. I judge when people can't do it respectfully. I have severe asthma so when I walk in/out of a store and someone is standing right in the doorway blowing smoke in my face, it is a serious issue. Their selfishness causes me an ER visit.

If you're going to smoke, do it respectfully. Make sure you are the only person you are harming.  

• I judge a friend of mine who allows her 16 and 13 year old daughters to go to tanning beds on a regular basis.  They also post pics of their tanned bellies on FB while holding up their shirts.  And the 16 year old regularly goes to drinking parties, and posts pics of her and her friends drinking on FB.  And yes, she is friends with both of her parents on FB, and they regularly log on.
  • imageCTGirl30:
    imageKJmashup:
    imagejcole32444:

This has nothing to do with GB surgery. But I judge people with addictions too. Like smoking, drinking, drugs etc. I think it is a mental issue and it is their fault they started to begin with. No one can say they did not know the risks, it was addicting etc.

I judge people who are willfully misguided enough to think this. 

How many people do you know who were forced to try a cigarette / alcohol / crack, ertc?  Not many, I am thinking, so it's safe to say the majority started using such substances of their own free will. While being aware that they are bad for you. But perhaps ignoring that information in favor of the high they got from the substances and then became dependent on them and found it hard, if not impossible, to quit.

Drugs are often used as a form of coping, or a crutch if you will for dealing (or not dealing) with life. They are obviously physically addictive as well...but perhaps her theory that addctions begin as a "mental issue" isn't so misguided.

Dopamine plays a key role in reward behavior, yet the association of drug dependence as a chronic, relapsing disorder with the genes encoding the various dopaminergic receptor subtypes remains difficult to delineate. In the context of subsequent genome-wide association (GWAS) research and post-GWAS investigations, we summarize the novel data that link genes encoding molecules involved in the dopaminergic system (dopamine receptors, transporter and enzymes in charge of its metabolism) to drug addiction. Recent reports indicate that the heritability of drug addiction should be high enough to allow a significant role for a specific set of genes, and the available genetic studies, which might not be already conclusive because of the heterogeneity of designs, methods and recruited samples, should support the idea of a significant role of at least one gene related to dopaminergic system. Evolutionary changes in primates and non-primate animals of genes coding for molecules involved in dopaminergic system highlight why addictive disorders are mainly limited to humans. Restricting the analyses to more specific intermediate phenotypes (or endophenotypes) such as attention allocation, stress reactivity, novelty seeking, behavioral disinhibition and impulsivity, instead of the broad addictivedisorder concept can be instrumental to identify novel genes associated with these traits in the context of genome-wide studies.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22350797

If you tl;dr this, then it makes you willingly misguided. 

• imageCTGirl30:
    Drugs are often used as a form of coping, or a crutch if you will for dealing (or not dealing) with life. They are obviously physically addictive as well...but perhaps her theory that addctions begin as a "mental issue" isn't so misguided.

No, that isn't misguided at all.  The misguided part is that she finds these people worthy of judgement, despite the fact that a mental or emotional issue is probably the reason for their addiction and self-destruction. 

No cigarettes for  crazy people! 

• imageMom2Oli:
    imagejcole32444:
    imageUnpossible:

So, you'd tell somebody with an anxiety disorder to just get on with it, cope with it, get over it, mind over matter and all that?

No, I would tell them to go see a doctor and work on their anxiety. I would not be so blunt as to say that to a person ever.

• imagejcole32444:

Then I judge you, for being both insensitive and ignorant. 

• YulesYules member
    imageannaruiz2:
    imageMom2Oli:
    imageCTGirl30:

oh whats your "medical reason" that you couldn't lose weight? Because the surgery only makes you eat less. So what is your "medical reason" that you couldn't just eat less?

What's the medical reason for your vitriol towards formula feeders and people's eating habits in general? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imageKJmashup:
    imageSookieFrackhouse68:
    imageRayRay007:
    imagembenit4:

I forever get bigass meals with a Diet Coke. It tastes better, and I've knocked about 300 calories off my already unhealthy meal.

I rock.

As a borderline diabetic, I cannot have sodas containing HFCS. I have to drink diet sodas, no matter what I choose to eat. The carbs in food do not affect my pancreas the way HFCS in sodas does. I don't know why. So it may look silly, but there's a "medical" reason for my diet drink with my large fries.

Likely because HFCS causes greater insulin spikes than regular sugar.

That's what I've been thinking. Weird. My husband is a type 1.5-ish diabetic (sounds strange, I know), and it does the same thing to him. 

• imageFormerlyKrista555:

imageMom2Oli:
    imagePB1980:
    Able-bodied jerks who use the elevator to go from the second floor to the first.
    I think there was a huge discussion about this in my 1st or 2nd tri ... how do you know just by looking at somebody they are able bodied? I have 2 knees that were hyperextended and stairs kill he sh!t out of me. I can run but I cannot go up and down stairs. I'd be so judged by you.

true story. My DH is 27 years old and has horrible arthritis throughout his entire body that he has to take injections for. He was medically retired from the Army because of it.  You'd never guess from looking at him.

I stopped judging people I couldn't tell were disabled for using handicapped spaces after I saw Oprah and found out that a lot of our service men and women have suffered head injuries that are just as debilitating as any physical disability - even though they look perfectly "normal", they still need assistance.  After reading your stories I'll stop judging people who use elevators too.

• imageEllaHella:
    imageNastyAnnie:
    imagejcole32444:

Then I judge you, for being both insensitive and ignorant. 

Seriously.  It is this type of attitude that stigmatizes mental illness and dissuades people from seeking help. 

Which in turn encourages them to seek solace and normalcy in a world of addictive substances, be they alcohol or scrips, cigs or street drugs. 

I hope none of your friends secretly struggle with disorder. It is a daily battle to stay "up", even while medicated, and medication can make a disordered person genuinely want to die. This attitude is so hurtful and disgusting. 

• imageYules:
    imageannaruiz2:
    imageMom2Oli:
    imageCTGirl30:

oh whats your "medical reason" that you couldn't lose weight? Because the surgery only makes you eat less. So what is your "medical reason" that you couldn't just eat less?

What's the medical reason for your vitriol to wards formula feeders and people's eating habits in general? 

Biitchephrenia and Cvntosis.

• imagekirky05:
    My H is trying to wean himself off nicotine gum and omgsomeoneshootme.

It's the worst, right? Bun's an actor (stage) and occasionally has to take up smoking for a part. Every time he quits, it's the WORST WEEKEND EVER, because he always goes cold turkey. It's just awful. 

• I smoke at work and I know people judge me and it sucks....I am all the way over in the corner of the parking lot not bothering anyone but I still get looks.

Or people who feel they need to comment about it.

I will say that it is sooo hard to quit. It is not just the physical it is more the mental. I only smoke about 4 or 5 a day and usually only half....but it is the mental part I can't get over.

I get the whole thing about smokers who think they can smoke whenever and wherever....those people bother me too.

As for the whole..."you chose to start it's your fault thing" I can see that side but I started when I was 15 and stupid. I chose to smoke because my best friend did and I wanted to be like her. I was not thinking about lung cancer and all the other horrible things. Most people start when they are young and a teen does not process things the way an adult does.

It is a tough addiction, really tough.....

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMom2Oli:
    imagejcole32444:
    imageUnpossible:

So, you'd tell somebody with an anxiety disorder to just get on with it, cope with it, get over it, mind over matter and all that?

I just want to take a moment to point out that aruiz believes people with depression/anxiety shouldn't have kids because there's "something wrong with them."  Party!!! 

Notwithstanding that the "something wrong" is a chronic disease like diabetes or asthma and can be managed as such.  I think, however, she believes diabetics and asthmatics are in the clear to have kids, so rest easy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm sorry Eva. I know how difficult that must be, especially since there *are* so many inconsiderate smokers. It's sort of ruined smoking for everyone. That doesn't make it any easier to be judged, though. 
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imageKJmashup:
    imageGhostMonkey:
    imageKJmashup:
    [As a borderline diabetic, I cannot have sodas containing HFCS. I have to drink diet sodas, no matter what I choose to eat. The carbs in food do not affect my pancreas the way HFCS in sodas does. I don't know why. So it may look silly, but there's a "medical" reason for my diet drink with my large fries.

Likely because HFCS causes greater insulin spikes than regular sugar.

That's what I've been thinking. Weird. My husband is a type 1.5-ish diabetic (sounds strange, I know), and it does the same thing to him. 

Not surprising. That whole "sugar is sugar, your body can't tell the difference" crap the corn industry put out there is bullshit.

Oooh, it's making sense now. It's those corn mutherfvuckers. 

• imageNastyAnnie:
    I'm sorry Eva. I know how difficult that must be, especially since there *are* so many inconsiderate smokers. It's sort of ruined smoking for everyone. That doesn't make it any easier to be judged, though. 

Thanks. I am use to it now. I wish I could quit....I did cold turkey when I got pregnant, no problem. I think because I knew there was a beautiful living child inside me.

I didn't start back up until the PPD hit really bad....I didn't know how else to feel better, even for just a couple of minutes. Now I wish I would have never picked one back up.

• M2O and Kirky: That is amazing that your Hs did that. I applaud them and you.

• imageEVA116:

imageNastyAnnie:
    I'm sorry Eva. I know how difficult that must be, especially since there *are* so many inconsiderate smokers. It's sort of ruined smoking for everyone. That doesn't make it any easier to be judged, though. 

Thanks. I am use to it now. I wish I could quit....I did cold turkey when I got pregnant, no problem. I think because I knew there was a beautiful living child inside me.

I didn't start back up until the PPD hit really bad....I didn't know how else to feel better, even for just a couple of minutes. Now I wish I would have never picked one back up.

I have that relationship with food, more or less. I lost a shitton of weight while pregnant (I was really, really sick the whole time). Like, 40 lbs. I was the thinnest I've been since junior high. And then when the PPD/PPA came crashing down, and I started meds again, I started eating. And eating. And eating. I quite literally didn't feel like I could stop. I gained it all back and then some in a matter of months. It really, really sucks.  I've never been a smoker, but I am overweight, so I feel the hate too.

• When I smoke in public, I smoke well away and downwind of other people. 

The people I judge are the people who see me doing this and stand rightnexttome and start coughing. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• I guess I blinded the naysayers with science.

• imageEVA116:

I smoke at work and I know people judge me and it sucks....I am all the way over in the corner of the parking lot not bothering anyone but I still get looks.

Or people who feel they need to comment about it.

I will say that it is sooo hard to quit. It is not just the physical it is more the mental. I only smoke about 4 or 5 a day and usually only half....but it is the mental part I can't get over.

I get the whole thing about smokers who think they can smoke whenever and wherever....those people bother me too.

As for the whole..."you chose to start it's your fault thing" I can see that side but I started when I was 15 and stupid. I chose to smoke because my best friend did and I wanted to be like her. I was not thinking about lung cancer and all the other horrible things. Most people start when they are young and a teen does not process things the way an adult does.

It is a tough addiction, really tough.....

I used to judge smokers because my Mom was so anti-smoking.  It was like anyone who smoked was the anti-Christ.  So I grew up with that assumption but then as I got older, I became friends with people who smoked and completely changed my views.  I also try to relate it to eating - that's my vice.  I'm not overweight but eating/food is my drug of choice and I imagine trying to give up my favorite foods just like a smoker would have to give up cigs and I really feel for you.

• imageUnpossible:

imagescoutkate:
    I also judge people who don't like lime-sherbert-and-ginger-ale punch.  omg, best thing ever.

I'm not seeing booze in the recipe - which booze do you put in it?

Rum, duh!

• imageCinemaGoddess:

When I smoke in public, I smoke well away and downwind of other people. 

The people I judge are the people who see me doing this and stand rightnexttome and start coughing. 

Ugh so annoying...

• I'm judging myself right now for still being in my pjs. I should be cleaning my house while E is napping, but my Deathly Hallows Pt 2 came in the mail from Netflix today. How am I supposed to NOT watch it right now?!
    A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.
  • imageUnpossible:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

When I smoke in public, I smoke well away and downwind of other people. 

"Gee, that cough sounds pretty bad. I wouldn't take up smoking if I were you!"

At that point I usually just keep smoking and blow a little in their general direction.  When they start coughing for real, I laugh.

Ok, maybe I don't do that.  But I do consider it. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"