3rd Trimester
Options

F*ck you, Command Strips! [PSA]

I'm just posting a little PSA here about command strips and how they have p*ssed me off this week. I finally hung up the wall art in the baby room with my H, and it's been falling off the wall at random times. We took down the rest of it now and will rehang with nails. If our LO had been in the crib one of the times, she would have been clobbered, and as it stands now there's am unsightly gash in the wood of our new crib. I am extremely irritated by this but also relieved that it happened now and not when we have an outside baby sleeping there!

I know in the commercials, it shows them using command strips for things like hanging a loaded Christmas stocking and putting a mailbox on the side of the house, but IRL it doesn't work that way. Even if you follow all the directions like we did and make sure you are putting less than 1 pound per hook (or whatever the weight rating is for the size you get), apparently they can still come crashing down when you least expect it.

If any of you are planning to hang things in the nursery with these things, I wouldn't put anything heavier/harder than some ribbon crafts or a stuffed animal net on them. Definitely don't use them over the crib for a mobile! For the safety of your family, just deal with the hassle of potentially having to re-arrange the room and re-hang everything in another spot in a couple of years. Command Strips are apparently really a bad idea for a baby's room.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: F*ck you, Command Strips! [PSA]

• Options

I had only used them for hanging the Christmas wreath on the storm door - which worked well because it was attached to glass.

Last week, I used a heavy duty one to hang a painting in my office and it came crashing down- scaring the bejeeezus out of me...no go on Command strips and hooks for us either. They are dangerous.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had the same thing happen. Then I read the fine print on the package... you're not supposed to use them on anything that has latex paint on it. I'm not even sure that there's another option for wall paint besides latex, so I'm not sure what kind of wall you CAN hang them on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    On the other hand, I have Command strips holding up TONS of stuff around my classroom and my house and have rarely had a problem with them holding stuff up (only . As long as I pay attention to the weight limits and really follow the application instructions, it hasn't been a problem at all. And, for what its worth, I'm pretty sure they tell you on the package to never use the strips to hang anything above a crib or above someone just in case it does let go.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

We just moved into a new house 4 weeks ago and have been using command strips like crazy.  I LOVE them.  They are working great and nothing has fallen.  We have been only using them for lighter pictures though and following the directions. 

DH and I just discussed this weekend that when we finally get to hanging stuff over the crib we wouldn't use the strips.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good to know!  Dh bought a laser level to paint the nursery stripes with, and it used those command strips to stick to the wall.  It fell off five different times, taking huge chunks of the paint/plaster with it.  You would think after the first time, dh would have taken the hint.  So now I have five chunks of plaster off the nursery walls I had to just paint over (can't match the fixer plaster up-old rental house).  I'm with you-command strips stink.
  • Options

Oh I hear you.

Following a tutorial on a blog we found we used cut-in-half Command Strips to hang Ikea Riba frames on our frame wall.

It went from this:

To this:

in a matter of days.  The frames are all now hung w/ screws and drywall anchors.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yeah, we tried to use one for the mobile, and that did not work. It is a super lightweight mobile too.

I had to use two huge ones for my diaper organizer after the first ones I tried to use fell down. So far, so good. It's been a couple of weeks.

• Options
    I have had great luck with them in some houses (with sheetrock walls) but they don't work at all in this house (plaster walls).  And I would never hang anything that would hurt the baby over the crib even if it was with the strongest nail ever.
  • Options

Hi, I am Rachel with Command(TM) Brand Products. I apologize for the inconvenience our product has caused you. We do have hooks that hold various weights based on what is listed on the package, we also have a line of picture hanging strips. We want to make sure our products are working as expected. As long as weight limits are followed we do expect them to be permanent until removed as well. If you have quality issues with our product we would suggest contacting us at 800-934-7355 or by e-mailing us through our website at www.command.com. We want to be sure our product is meeting the high quality standards our customers have come to expect! Thanks, and please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

• Options

So sorry to hear that the picture came down. Was this while using our Command(TM) Picture Hanging Strips or hooks? These are a separate line from our general purpose hooks as they are low profile and designed to hold pictures and frames up to 16 pounds on most smooth sealed surfaces. If this is the product line you used and the picture still fell we would recommend you contact us so we are able to further assist through our website www.command.com or our customer service number listed on each package 800-934-7355.

• Options
    Command(TM) Brand Products will adhere to all types of paint as long as they have been allowed to cure 7 days or longer. The finish will also not alter the products ability to work whether the paint is eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, etc. Command(TM) Brand Products will stick to painted walls, wood, glass, metal, and most other smooth or sealed surfaces.
  • Options

Command(TM) Brand Products should not have a problem adhering to plaster that is painted and smooth. If the texture is more than orange peel we would not recommend the use of our strips on that surface. The manufacturer of the level determined the Command(TM) product suitable for its application and any complaints of the performance can be handled by them. Thanks.

• Options

We typically do not advise cutting or altering the product because it also changes the original design and reduces the amount of weight the strips are able to hold. This may or may not be the reason why you experienced this failure. Again, if you do not believe the product is performing as it should we would ask you contact us directly to discuss the product performance and to also allow us to assist in getting the product to work for you. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"