Trouble TTC

Couldn't do HSG?

So I just got back from the hospital's radiology lab after an unsuccessful HSG. Just as a background/reminder, our doctor let us try a medicated cycle with Femara just to see if we'd get lucky (obviously it didn't work) before doing the HSG b/c we're 100% OOP.

It was scheduled for this morning, and after about 20 minutes of my RE trying to get the cath into my cervix, he had to stop and tell me he couldn't do the test. He said my cervix has a strong curve and a very tiny opening. Together, those two things made it impossible for him to "catch" the cervix with the cath to get the dye in.

He said in 20 years, this has happened to him twice and that it's very abnormal. He didn't seem too concerned about this affecting my chance at getting pregnant though, b/c he said "If blood can get out, sperm can get in."

Still, has anyone heard of this happening? I can't tell you how many times he said "This is very unusual." Not really the most promising thing to hear your doctor say on repeat.

He said our other option is to take pain meds/numbing gel and have him dilate my cervix before trying it again.

Anniversary

Re: Couldn't do HSG?

• I've never heard of that but it sounds pretty uncomfortable.  I guess I would try the dilation method next.  Good luck to you.
  • My "HSG" was done while I was under for my lap so I don't have specific experience but... My last 2 IUIs were extremely painful for the reason you listed above. My cervix is apparently super curvy and he had to do a lot of straightening with mean tools in order to get the cath in. I'd bleed for days after an IUI. 

My RE gave me the same line, "If blood can get out, sperm can get in". I did have a BFP (and m/c) before seeing the RE last year so part of me believes him.. but I know how difficult it is to feel like that.

My RE said before any other IUI I would have, he'd want to "stretch" my cervix before hand. Sounds ouchy though we never did have another IUI so I can't comment. I believe the stretching is something they do to induce labor so it is practiced in some form. 

Good luck with the HSG retry or any IUIs. 

ETA: wording 

imageimage. image 

|| 4 years TTC, 2 M/Cs image 4 failed IUIs, 1 failed IVF || 

|| DIA brought us our beautiful daughter || 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a similar experience with HSG.  Mine was done on CD 10 and my GYN told me my cervix is closed.  I didn't understand what she meant as my knowledge about HSG was to check blocked tubes.  She dilated my cervix on the fly and proceeded HSG.  

I asked her later "why mine was closed?"  and she said "Well, some people's are closed sometimes."  I didn't ask her anymore questions but I know cervix opens as O comes closer, so maybe the timing was too early??  I donno....   

I would totally recommend taking 3 ibuprofen before and after.  I had to lay down for a couple of hours after the procedure because mine was super painful!  GL!!

Mar-Apr-May/12: All 3 IUI (w/ Femara) - BFN

May/12 IVF journey in the works...
    IVF #1 w/ ICSI #1 (Gonal, Menopur & Ganirelix)
    5/29-6/18: BCP, 6/21-6/27: Stim, 6/30: ER
    7/5: ET 2 5-days blastocysts are transferred, none made to freeze :(
    7/17: Beta #1 - 616!!, 7/23: Beta #2 - 6818
    8/2: u/s #1 - a healthy seahorse found & one empty sac, 8/16: u/s #2 - one peanut! HB @ 180
    10/30: It's a girl!!! EDD: 3/23/13

IVF & Miracle baby blog!
    My Cherry Blossom baby

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMsGMChick:

My "HSG" was done while I was under for my lap so I don't have specific experience but... My last 2 IUIs were extremely painful for the reason you listed above. My cervix is apparently super curvy and he had to do a lot of straightening with mean tools in order to get the cath in. I'd bleed for days after an IUI. 

My RE gave me the same line, "If blood can get out, sperm can get in". I did have a BFP (and m/c) before seeing the RE last year so part of me believes him.. but I know how difficult it is to feel like that.

My RE said before any other IUI I would have, he'd want to "stretch" my cervix before hand. Sounds ouchy though we never did have another IUI so I can't comment. I believe the stretching is something they do to induce labor so it is practiced in some form. 

Good luck with the HSG retry or any IUIs. 

ETA: wording 

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

I've been reading more about curved cervixes (cervi? haha) since I got home, and I'm finding exactly what you said about painful IUIs and the like. Yikes, you're right, the stretching doesn't sound enjoyable, but I bet that's what my dr. was referring to. Thanks.

Anniversary
  • imagemegsswm:
    OMG.....I had my HSG about a month ago...and the EXACT same thing happened...but worse. My RE was not the one to do the procedure...a radiologist was.  I was on the table for an hour and half....they tried 4 different sized catheters, baloons, etc.  I thought they were trying to torture me.  it was excruciating pain. It ended up with 2 radiologists, 4 nurses, and me bleeding a lot, when they finally passed the catheter....and due to the issues passing it were unable to get imaging done correctly.  I was soo ANGRY to go through that for nothing.  I am now schedule for a Lap and Operative HSC so they can really investigate.  The RE got the results and told me he was uncomfortable trying to repeat the HSG even with meds and ordered the surgery instead.  I am relieved.  I have been unable to find anyone who has had a similar experience like I did.  My RE also suspects some type of curve, narrowness issue they couldn't even get the baby sized catheter to pass easily ( although they got it eventually)....I can completly feel your pain ( literally).  I am very relieved my RE did not ask me to repeat the test.  Surgery is never fun but in this case I think it is better than another HSG. 

Oh my God, that sounds absolutely horrible. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, especially b/c it didn't get you anywhere. I would probably have your same outlook about having the surgery too after going through that. Good luck to you, I hope your next step goes much more smoothly!

Anniversary
  • imagecandyreesecup:

I had a similar experience with HSG.  Mine was done on CD 10 and my GYN told me my cervix is closed.  I didn't understand what she meant as my knowledge about HSG was to check blocked tubes.  She dilated my cervix on the fly and proceeded HSG.  

I asked her later "why mine was closed?"  and she said "Well, some people's are closed sometimes."  I didn't ask her anymore questions but I know cervix opens as O comes closer, so maybe the timing was too early??  I donno....   

I would totally recommend taking 3 ibuprofen before and after.  I had to lay down for a couple of hours after the procedure because mine was super painful!  GL!!

That's a good point about it maybe being too early. My RE said today that he thought that mine closed up (or got very close to closing up) between periods, so that does make sense. I kind of wish he would have just dilated my cervix and got it over with today like yours did. And yeah, I definitely took the Ibuprofen! Thank you.

Anniversary
  • Ugh, the radiologist for mine couldn't find my cervix.  It took him a while but when he finally got his bearings, we were able to get it done.  Sorry you had such a bad experience.  If there is a plus side, it's that the next time you get numbing cream and pain meds...super jealous of that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sorry you had to go through that! I had a similar experience at my HSG earlier this month. My RE said my cervix was stenotic (narrowed) and he was unable to get the catheter through. He used two different tools to manually dilate my cervix which was horribly painful...no numbing meds for me. He was then able to pass the catheter and do the test. It was really terrible but I'm sure would not be nearly so bad with pain meds. RE said "most people would not have been able to tolerate that"....great thanks. Anyway, he also said it could possibly have affected my ability to get pregnant, althoouugh I did get pregnant last year on my own (ended in m/c) so I don't know. 
    TTC since 10/1/10 BFP 1/14/11 MC @ 6w 3d 1/17/11 2 Rounds Clomid 50mg + ovidrel trigger=BFN SA=Normal HSG= tubes clear July 2012 gonal-f and +ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFN August 2012 gonal-f + ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFP!! Beta 8/24 12dpo 166!! Beta#2 8/28 16dpo 942!!! EDD 5/4/13 9/10-First US-TWINS!! 2 beautiful little HB's, 1/3/13 said good-bye to our little boy. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevpr105:
    I'm sorry you had to go through that! I had a similar experience at my HSG earlier this month. My RE said my cervix was stenotic (narrowed) and he was unable to get the catheter through. He used two different tools to manually dilate my cervix which was horribly painful...no numbing meds for me. He was then able to pass the catheter and do the test. It was really terrible but I'm sure would not be nearly so bad with pain meds. RE said "most people would not have been able to tolerate that"....great thanks. Anyway, he also said it could possibly have affected my ability to get pregnant, althoouugh I did get pregnant last year on my own (ended in m/c) so I don't know. 

Holy ouch, I cannot even imagine. My RE kind of eluded to just getting it done today by dilating without meds and I quickly shot that down. Good for you for sticking with it (even though it sounds like you had no choice)! It makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Anniversary
  • imageElleBeeKay:

imagevpr105:
    I'm sorry you had to go through that! I had a similar experience at my HSG earlier this month. My RE said my cervix was stenotic (narrowed) and he was unable to get the catheter through. He used two different tools to manually dilate my cervix which was horribly painful...no numbing meds for me. He was then able to pass the catheter and do the test. It was really terrible but I'm sure would not be nearly so bad with pain meds. RE said "most people would not have been able to tolerate that"....great thanks. Anyway, he also said it could possibly have affected my ability to get pregnant, althoouugh I did get pregnant last year on my own (ended in m/c) so I don't know. 

Holy ouch, I cannot even imagine. My RE kind of eluded to just getting it done today by dilating without meds and I quickly shot that down. Good for you for sticking with it (even though it sounds like you had no choice)! It makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Haha It makes me cringe remembering it! I hope yours is much easier! I say good for you for standing up for yourself and holding out for meds!

TTC since 10/1/10 BFP 1/14/11 MC @ 6w 3d 1/17/11 2 Rounds Clomid 50mg + ovidrel trigger=BFN SA=Normal HSG= tubes clear July 2012 gonal-f and +ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFN August 2012 gonal-f + ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFP!! Beta 8/24 12dpo 166!! Beta#2 8/28 16dpo 942!!! EDD 5/4/13 9/10-First US-TWINS!! 2 beautiful little HB's, 1/3/13 said good-bye to our little boy. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, this happened to me too.  My OB/GYN did it in the hospital and couldn't get the cath in. It certainly wasn't fun, and I think I cried the entire way home.  When I finally was referred to an RE, they tried it again with a smaller cath and it worked fine.  I hope it goes better the next time.   

• For both HSG's I've had, they've had to use a different/second catheter. Happened this morning at my HSG. She said it's b/c of the angle. The first one they try has a specific angle that must not work w/ my cervix. I asked if my tilted uterus might affect it, and she said maybe. BUT I've never not been able to do the actual procedure- the other catheter that they use has worked both times. I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'd agree. If blood can get out, sperm can definitely get in. GL.
    TTC#1 
    BFP 2/14/11, missed m/c 9 weeks. d&e 3/24/11
    BFP 12/10/11 d&e at 13wk+4days 2/17/12
    Dx with Balanced Robertsonian Translocation (13;14) moving on to IVF w/ PGD
    IVF #1 (May 2012) 13R, 10F, 5 blasts, ONE NORMAL frozen no transfer
    IVF #2 (July 2012) 17R, 8F, 5  blasts, ONE NORMAL 6dt on 7/12/2012- c/p
    IVF #3 (Sept. 2012) 39R, 25F, 13 blasts,  3 NORMALS! Freeze-all due to high E2.
    FET #1 10/23- 2 expanded blasts, Beta #1 11/1- 113, Beta #2 11/4-351, Beta #3 11/7- 1213
    Hailey Michelle born July 12, 2013

TTC #2 
    FET -1/14- c/p
    IVF #4 (Feb 2014)- 49R, 28F, 13 blasts, 7 NORMALS! eSET of a normal blast on 2/24/14, 6 frosties.
    Beta #1 3/4/14- 105. Beta #2 3/7/13- 397 EDD-11/11/14. 1st u/s 3/20- 6w2d lil' bean with 120hb. 7w0d- lil bean's hb was 144. Graduated from RE 3/25/14.
      Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • wow, Im sorry everyone had these experiences.  Just when I thought I was starting to relax about my HSG on the 11th. :(
    "Everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end."
    Me:29 DH:29  TTC since 1/11 Dx: unexplained IF/early DOR/immune issues 
    Feb'12- July'12-testing(all clear minus slight arcuate ute), 3 IUI with clomid all BFN
    8/30IVF#1 Antagonist protocol- ER 9/11-8R, 7M, 5F. 
    ET 9/14 2 embies transferred. 1 10cell Grade 4, 1 8cell Grade 4. No frosties. BFN
    IVF#2 Antagonist protocol plus baby aspirin- ER 12/5-16R, 12M, 8F!
    ET 12/10 5dt! 1 fully expanded blast & 1 early blast. No frosties. BFN
    3/13 hysteroscopy & polypectomy, Consulted w Dr. Kwak-Kim.  
    DX: High NK cells, cytokines, DHEAs& PAI1;  hypothyroid, +APA, restricted bloodflow
    7/13 IVF#3 Long lupron protocol with PIO, Crinone, Prometrium, and vivelle
    (plus synthroid, metformin, baby asa, metanx, PNV, Vit E, D, calcium, fish oil, CoQ10, IVIg infusions and lovenox per Dr. Kwak-kim)
    ER 7/19 14R, 11M, 9F(4 natural fert, 5 with ICSI)
    ET 5dt 7/24 2 fully expanded blasts.  SURPRISE 3 FROSTIES!!!
    Beta #1 8/2 335!!!! Beta #2 829!!!  1st u/s 8/14 showed TWINS!!!!!
    11/11: TEAM PURPLE!!!!!
    3/21/14-L&W born at 37w via csection

Here Comes the Sun Blog
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"