Blended Families
Options

Kind of annoyed with SD's school

SD is in 3rd grade.  She has her Christmas concert in a couple of weeks and the teachers involved (special instruction ie music/dance) sent home a note about the concert along with a CD for her to practice with.  Well one of the things it mentions is how the children are to be dressed.

White shirt

Black pants

Black socks

Black shoes (sneakers)

Now, here is my complaint - what if you don't have these clothes for your child?  What if the shirt isn't plain white?  What if you have blue jeans but not black pants?  and since SD is a girl she doesn't wear black socks or shoes since they aren't "cute and pretty".  So now as a parent I have to go out and BUY these things for 1  30 minute concert! 

She has a suitable shirt and I happened to buy black pants for her so she could dress up and still go to school and play, but I don't have black socks or shoes and knowing SD she wont ever wear either of those more than this one time.  If she was in middle school and was in choir where they wear the same outfit for every concert that would be different but they always have the kids wear something different for each concert. 

I am just a little annoyed at the presumption that parents either have all this on hand OR as SD said her teacher mentioned "your parents can just go get them at Target".  I will buy these for her because if I don't then she wont be dressed appropriately and stick out which I will feel guilty for but Come On!  Does it REALLY matter????!!!!

Re: Kind of annoyed with SD's school

• Options

Personally, I would contact the teacher directly.  And I would be quite frank with him/her.  In this financial climate during a holiday season, it is quite cheeky to be requiring people to make additional purchases. 

I would send a letter to the principal as well.

And I would do it today.  That way the teacher has time to revise her requirement to a request.

My mother taught in a very wealthy school district.  Her school had a trailer park in it. This school NEVER required their students to provide anything BECAUSE they knew the trailer park kids could not afford it.  

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options

I can see that your SD probably doesn't have black tennis shoes because well just because they are "eww" *LOL* BUT - doesn't she have black dress shoes? And instead of socks, she can wear leggings/tights with the dress shoes under her black pants? At least she would stay warm too!

Just a thought?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The shirt and pants I get. But the socks and shoes are a bit anal if you ask me. I'd cal the teacher and talk to her about it. Just tell her that new shoes are not in your budget right now and that no one will be looking at her socks if she's wearing pants.

Click me, click me!
  • Options

She can't wear dress shoes because they will be dancing (or slipping)...also she doesn't have black dress shoes right now - she outgrew the ones she had and we haven't found ones we like yet.  I thought about just giving her white socks (she has white and pink stockings but she generally doesn't wear skirts/dresses in the winter and it is WAY to hot here in the summer for stockings so we don't have that many I may just need to buy so she has them in the future)- I mean who is going to be looking at them and the pants are a little long on her anyway.  The only sneakers she has are her white cheerleading shoes and pink and white sneakers and then a pair of cute brown knee high boots but nothing black. 

I think  may send her an email...it is just ridiculous - buy shoes she will never wear again for 30 freaking minutes!

• Options

Is there a pair of pants she doesn't wear the often? Can you dye those black along with a pair of socks? Just a thought because I know my mom had done a few things like that for some talent shows when I was younger. A bottle of dye is cheaper then buying the pants and socks if she doesn't have them - the shoes...well, I guess you either have to buy them or if you can find a cheap white pair of keds or soemthing, dye those too! lol...

I agree, that's a lot to assume or ask of people - especially with how the economy has been and it's close to the holidays.

• Options
    I agree that it's rude that they expect kids that young to all match each other for a required concert.  If you do buy the stuff I would go to Walmart where you can get the shoes cheap since like you said she will only be in there a short time.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    Okay I can see you being annoyed becuase you don't have these things but if she has the pants and the shirt, a pair of socks is only a couple of dollars or as pp suggested some tights would do, and as far as the shoes are concerned;  if she has black dress shoes put her in those and call it good.  If she does not then go to a thrift store and buy a pair there or take a pair she already has but doesn't like or don't fit quite right anymore and spray paint those puppies black.  You'd have to buy laces but for under $10 you can have some socks and shoes. Also she could wear a pair of your too big black socks for half an hour.  I really do hope you don't bug the teacher.  They get enough gripes as it is.  All they are trying to do is have a program with a standard for people to follow.  Teachers, especially those of the arts have a such a hard tiem as it is with no budget and no support from the administration of their school they don't need parents on top of it.  Do the best you can and send her in what you have.
  • Options

imageleslie_ina_dres:
    Okay I can see you being annoyed becuase you don't have these things but if she has the pants and the shirt, a pair of socks is only a couple of dollars or as pp suggested some tights would do, and as far as the shoes are concerned;  if she has black dress shoes put her in those and call it good.  If she does not then go to a thrift store and buy a pair there or take a pair she already has but doesn't like or don't fit quite right anymore and spray paint those puppies black.  You'd have to buy laces but for under $10 you can have some socks and shoes. Also she could wear a pair of your too big black socks for half an hour.  I really do hope you don't bug the teacher.  They get enough gripes as it is.  All they are trying to do is have a program with a standard for people to follow.  Teachers, especially those of the arts have a such a hard tiem as it is with no budget and no support from the administration of their school they don't need parents on top of it.  Do the best you can and send her in what you have.

I was a theater kid and a former 3rd grade teacher so I know exactly where she is coming from.  However - this is a school with a VERY high free/reduced price lunch population since it is in the city (BM lives in a bad neighborhood).  I get that they want everyone to look nice etc. but I was in elementary school once and I looked just fine in the regular outfits I had on.  Can we afford to buy these things - probably but what a waste of money when our money is tight right now due to an accident DH had last week and I am positive that there are children in this school who's parents don't have the money nor the items that they are requiring and therefore wont participate and that is a shame!  To put these "requirements" on kids at someone elses expense is not fair.  The kids get so excited about performing in this concert but since they don't have the requisit dress the parents are too embarrassed and so just don't attend- the only ones that get hurt are the kids.  Why not just let them be themselves OR if the teachers are going to require a "uniform" for performances make it just that - a consistant dress code... at least we wouldn't be wasting our money for something that our children will never wear again. 

I appreciate all of the ideas for cutting the cost of these items.  I still don't know what to do about shoes but I may have a pair of black socks that might fit her if I can find them (thanks for that suggestion - it didn't occur to me!).  If I can find a pair of dressier shoes that she could use on other occassions I will pick them up and if not - I will try to find some cheap shoes or keds and as someone suggested dye them.

thanks again ladies for the advice and letting me vent!

• Options

I still say don't worry about the shoes. Let her wear whatever you have. No way in hell anyone is going to be looking at their feet.

Click me, click me!
  • Options
    That's ridiculous.  Are they being televised or performing for the governor?  Or is it just a school performance for parents? 
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"