C-sections

anybody not wait a year after c-section to get pregnant?

I know my OB recommends (I'm using that word to make myself feel better about it) waiting 1 year after a c-section to get pregnant again. I really want my children close in age, and would like to start TTC this fall. I plan to have a repeat c/s so I am not concerned about not being able to VBAC if they are close together.  

Anybody have a success story for me? 

Re: anybody not wait a year after c-section to get pregnant?

• My OB said it was totally fine to get pregnant as soon as we wanted.  However - OBs make different recommendations for different patients, so if I were you I'd want to know more about why he/she recommends a year.  Is that just the standard advice they give, or was there a specific reason why?

Anyway, I got pregnant with #2 when #1 was just under 8 months old.  My RCS was 16.5 months after my first one, and it was easy and uneventful. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Every OB is different and I listen to mine. She told us to wait 6 months, but at 4 months pp from Aidan called to check on me. She told me that we could start trying now since my blood work came back fine. I got pregnant after 4 months. At my 6w check up she told me that I had to wait 6 months this time to let my body heal.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • We had a surprise 10 months after my C-section.  I was offered a VBAC however I am not comfortable with that option.  

This pregnancy has actually been much less complicated and much "healthier" than my first! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • nope my daughter was 9 months.

My dr. makes his patients wait one year if they want to try and vbac, otherwise he oks at 3 months pp. after csection.

Yes there are some risks involved but it only goes up a tiny bit.  You might want to discuss all of it with your dr. 

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • I got pregnant with DS when DD was 6 months, they are 14 months apart.

I got pregnant with 5th pregnancy when DS was 7 months, but miscarried.

I got pregnant with this pregnancy when DS was 11 months, and they will be 20 months apart.

I had 2 c/s and will have a 3rd in August.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • All of my kids have been/will be born via scheduled c/s. I got pg with DD2 when DD1 was 5 1/2 months old, and all was well. I got pg with DD3 when DD2 was 9 months old, and all is well so far.

I get occasional soreness or itching around my scar, but it's not that severe and obviously didn't deter me from getting pg again. (I had the same thing even during my first pregnancy, since I had the same scar as from a c/s due to previous female surgery.)

My OB has no problem with my pregnancies being close together. Even if you want to do a VBAC, the risk of uterine rupture doesn't increase that significantly whether you get pg a few months or a few years after a c/s.

• My OB wasn't surprised or worried when I got pregnant 6 1/2 monts after ds1 was born. This time ds2 was 11 1/2 months when I got pregnant with ds3. Again he did t think anything of it. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got pregnant nine months after my DS was born via c-section.  My Dr wasn't concerned and I had a VBAC w/ DD.
    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My OB never made any mention of needing to wait before TTC again. I'll have repeat C/S for all my future pregnancies. She did say that, and I didn't think to ask why. Doesn't bother me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • My OB said to wait 3 months before trying again.  We waited a little longer than that simply b/c of FMLA and I wanted to be able to take the max time off.  My c/s were in July 09 and September 10. 
    BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • My OB gave the go ahead at my 6 week pp check. She knew we had TTTC with the first and did not want to wait. She said there is not significant evidence that waiting a year to TTC is necessary. 

I ended up shockingly being able to get pg at around 12 weeks pp. This pg has been MUCH harder, but there's a big difference between 12 weeks and 6+ months.  

photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • We got pg at 4 months pp. It took 5 years and IVF to get DD2 so this was a shocker for us.

I'm not exactly sure how long my OB usually suggests. I asked if anything would be different with births so close together and all I was told is I may have some more pain from stretching around my incision but nothing so far.  

• At my 6 week checkup my OB gave me the green light to ttc. Even with deliveries 12.5 months apart he encouraged a VBAC, even though I didn't end up going that route. The reason why close births are discouraged is because of an increased risk of uterine rupture, but since that's such a rare complication that happens in less than 1% of deliveries the overall risk is very low. We didn't feel that was a convincing enough argument to wait a year so we planned on getting pg much earlier than that since that spacing was most ideal for us for financial/personal reasons.

My 2nd pregnacy was a breeze. I think having an infant that still napped 3-4 times a day helped immensely because I was able to get a lot of rest.

I agree that it's best to ask if that's the standard advice they give everyone or because of something in your health history/delivery that your OB thinks you need the full year for your body to recoup.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got pregnant when DD was 5 months old. We are welcoming baby number two in May! My doc never said anything to me about how long to wait. Just the 6 weeks after having DD. 
  • I will shortly be having my 8th c-section. Kids number 3-6 are all a year apart and the others are 18 months. The baby I just had was 4 months old when I learned I was pregnant with the next one-apparently I have a very timely body!  I never had a cycle-just new to take a test once I started craving egg rolls!  I did always wait until 6 week check up to do anything-and I never felt like doing anything!!! 

I say go for it!!

• My doc recommended waiting a year to get pregnant but surprise!  Here we are anyway, as I got pregnant 5 months after having DS.  I healed well and quickly and none of the doctors in my practice are worried about any complications from getting pregnant again so quickly.

Good luck!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor did not talk to me about this... and I am now 6 months pregnant with #2 and my DD is almost 9 months old.  Everything is going smoothly.  I am not a candidate for a VBAC, but if I were, my doctor would be okay with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"