Babies: 6 - 9 Months

why is nursing disgusting?

My cousins husband was disgusted to discover that I am still nursing my 7 month old son? I told him that this is my choice and I want the best for my son. I was just irritated with his response? I know he has a right to his opinion but still?

Back story I didnt even bring up the subject it was a conversation at the table regarding my son and whether or not he is teething. Which led to the typical biting conversation that I did not take part in and you get the idea...

What are your thoughts? Is BF'ing disgusting or disturbing to you? Or have you had this type of response? Do tell... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: why is nursing disgusting?

• Some people are just ignorant. No, nursing your 7 month old son isn't disgusting. 

Next time tell him that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastmilk until at least one year old and the World Health Organization recommends it until a minimum of 2 years old. Does he think he's smarter than all of these doctors?

I'm really lucky that I haven't had any negative reactions to my bfing. I do get asked by some of my inlaws if she's on a bottle yet. But they don't mean anything by it, just don't really understand nursing. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I chose not to BF, for personal reasons I won't discuss. However, its not disgusting. I know someone who thinks its "disgusting" and "unnatural". What's more natural than breast feeding????? It was the only way before modern science allowed formula to be created!!! Her statements drive me nuts. Talk about ignorant. You don't need to explain yourself or your parenting/nourishment choices to anyone.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • That's so rude. What a jerk.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I just think its awkward that your cousins Husband would even say that. Seriously, what a weirdo. There's nothing disgusting about it. 
  • Sorry, but he does NOT have the "right to his opinion" regarding your boobs and what you choose to do with them. What a jerk!

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• How old is he? He sounds extremely immature...
  • A friend (who had a baby 6 weeks after me) asked me how long I planned on breastfeeding. I said one year and she said "that's odd". Ugh, annoying as crap and I get comments all of the time about breastfeeding. So, very, annoying.
    Ella 8.6.11
    Carson 3.28.13
  • No, there is nothing disgusting or disturbing about BFing! It is natural and the best thing you can do for your child. I agree with the pps who said ignorant and immature. And I'm astonished to hear that women with children find Breastfeeding odd.. I realize not everyone is going to choose to bf and that's fine, but I didn't think they would find it strange that other people choose to do so
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• We visited my grandparents when DS2 was 7 months old. I excused myself to nurse him & my grandmother said "You're still nursing? Are you going to nurse him through college?!" While I was annoyed it's typical for her to say something like that without thinking about how it would be received.

I chalked it up to ignorance & old age & let it go. Stick out tongue I don't care what anyone thinks & they're rude to assume it's their place to comment one way or another. I bfed #1 a year & plan to do the same this time, so of course I don't think it's disgusting or disturbing in any way.

It definitely won't be the only time someone offers their unsolicited opinion on raising your child though...unfortunately.

Married: '06 - Mom of 3 boys: '08, '11 & '14

• I just love it when these people think they know more than the WHO or the AAP. PLEASE! 
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Does this person realize milk/formula is the primary source of nutrician at that age? Maybe he thinks babies have switched to all solids by then? In any case, it is a completely rude comment. Thankfully no one has said anything negative to me yet.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Seriously? Heck no! BF is the best thing for babies - it says so on every can of formula. People can be so dumb...but yeah, I've had people give me their opinion on BF being something women should keep "discreet," which annoys me.
  • Lol - I'd tell him he can do whatever he wants when it's his boobs and his baby. Until then he can keep his as$clown opinions to himself. And last I checked, bm is free; formula is quite the opposite. Doesn't he know there's a recession going on? Haha
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• imageAMcLaws:
    I chose not to BF, for personal reasons I won't discuss. However, its not disgusting. I know someone who thinks its "disgusting" and "unnatural". What's more natural than breast feeding????? It was the only way before modern science allowed formula to be created!!! Her statements drive me nuts. Talk about ignorant. You don't need to explain yourself or your parenting/nourishment choices to anyone.

This.  I tried to BF and it didn't work for me for a few reasons.  Every mother has the right to BF or not BF.  What frustrates me as a mom is how critical people are of parents and child rearing in general.  It would be nice to have support instead of judgement and criticism.  Parenting is not easy.  Feed your child however you want to- it's your choice!

• He's obviously ignorant.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageHappyAardvark:
    Lol - I'd tell him he can do whatever he wants when it's his boobs and his baby. Until then he can keep his as$clown opinions to himself. And last I checked, bm is free; formula is quite the opposite. Doesn't he know there's a recession going on? Haha

LOVE your siggy. The bib totally makes the picture Stick out tongue

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• My mom is the same way. She gave me a hard time about bf my children because she always ff. I never really asked why but I just don't let it bother me.
  • imagerandomosity:
    Wow, what an ignorant thing to say. I hate how people judge the length of time women want to BF their kids...I get weird looks every now and then for wanting to go past a year but honestly, for every weird look I get, it just makes me more determined to follow through!

I'm exactly the same, I love proving people wrong.

• I'm still BFing my son and it's good for both of us.  Luckily I haven't  had any negative reactions to it.  If they feel that way, they haven't told me.  Some people are ignorant, I'd try to avoid him if at all possible.  I'm sure you won't change his mind.
  • I had people giving me a hard time about pumping.  LO had a horrible latch and did a lot of damage.  So, I got it from both sides.  EBF gave me $hit for not sticking with BF ( a LC told me to stop for my own health) and FF could not understand that if I wasn't "nursing" why would I wake up in the middle of the night to pump (even if my daughter was not awake), to keep my supply up.
  • People are ignorant jerks and think they know everything.

I've been told: "Your kid is going to be asking for your boob soon!" and also asked if I was "finally going to stop BF" now that DS has 7 teeth.

As much as I know that my decision is the right one for our family, I will admit it still sucks to hear those things and to constantly be asked if I'm still BF'ing.

The people that say these things though are older and do believe that solids should be his primary source of nutrition right now. I tell them otherwise but they will never listen. My MIL told me my son must have been starving when I stopped solids a few weeks ago for a week's time because we had an allergy concern. Confused

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Breastfeeding is one of the most normal things you can do. IMO, anyone who thinks it is disgusting is an idiot. It just speaks to how our society has so over-sexualized the female body. Breasts are made FOR breastfeeding. As far as nature intended, that is their only purpose. Get a freaking clue, people.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"