Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Colic Calm

My lo has reflux and so far it hasn't been too bad and we got some medicine from the doct to help. But this week he's gotten worse... screaming when he's about 2 ounces in and I can usually get him to finish off his usual 5 ounces but it's with him screaming and arching his back the whole time. I just fed him and when he started screaming at 3 ounces I just stopped and gave him his paci to suck on. He took a power nap for about 5 minutes and then gave me hungry cues so I gave him some more of his bottle... he went at it like he was starving but after about a minute started screaming again. I'm at a loss. I would normally be cool about just waiting til Monday to call the doctor but I got back to work Monday and he'll be in daycare all day. So all of this is to say I'm trying to find something to help before then... I've seen some things about Colic Calm and gripe water... I'd like to know if its worth buying... if it does actually work
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Colic Calm

• For me and my DS neither has worked for us, we are still working on the different medicines out there for help.  I am not sure what medicine you are on but from what I can tell is that most of these meds are weight sensitive so if he has gained more weight the dose might need to be increased. 
  • imagemylove2005:
    For me and my DS neither has worked for us, we are still working on the different medicines out there for help.  I am not sure what medicine you are on but from what I can tell is that most of these meds are weight sensitive so if he has gained more weight the dose might need to be increased. 

That might be it... he's gaining weight at a stupid rate (12 - 13 oz a week) so he might very well grow out of his medicine quickly

• Loading the player...
  • I've heard good things about BioGaia drops. If you Google them, their website has a bunch of peer-reviewed research demonstrating improvement in crying time in infants.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD had severe GERD (the disease form of reflux) and colic.

Her feedings were exactly as you described. We wound up going to a Pediatric GI who presrcibed her Axid. She was on that from 5 weeks until 5 months of age. It helped. But, it took some time.

Colic is really misunderstood. Most of the babies that truly have colic do not respond to things like Colic Calm. By definition, colic is the rule of threes. Crying for 3 or more hours a day, 3 or more days a week, 3 or more weeks. Although, most babies that are colic cry daily. and for much more than 3 hours.

But worry about the reflux first. Wait until the appt to give the baby anything unless you call the pedi emergency line and get the doc's okay first.

• imagemollybloom:

DD had severe GERD (the disease form of reflux) and colic.

Her feedings were exactly as you described. We wound up going to a Pediatric GI who presrcibed her Axid. She was on that from 5 weeks until 5 months of age. It helped. But, it took some time.

Colic is really misunderstood. Most of the babies that truly have colic do not respond to things like Colic Calm. By definition, colic is the rule of threes. Crying for 3 or more hours a day, 3 or more days a week, 3 or more weeks. Although, most babies that are colic cry daily. and for much more than 3 hours.

But worry about the reflux first. Wait until the appt to give the baby anything unless you call the pedi emergency line and get the doc's okay first.

Yeah right now I'm thinking it has to do with his reflux. I called our pedi emergency line to see if the nurses on call could recommend anything or give me any insight, especially if I need to try and bring him in on Monday. Since I'm a teacher I need to know ASAP if I need part of the day off on Monday to take care of LO. I just really want him to feel better AND to not have to add his feeding actions to my list of concerns about leaving him at the day care lol

• imagelvrunningirlie:
    imagemollybloom:

DD had severe GERD (the disease form of reflux) and colic.

Yeah right now I'm thinking it has to do with his reflux. I called our pedi emergency line to see if the nurses on call could recommend anything or give me any insight, especially if I need to try and bring him in on Monday. Since I'm a teacher I need to know ASAP if I need part of the day off on Monday to take care of LO. I just really want him to feel better AND to not have to add his feeding actions to my list of concerns about leaving him at the day care lol

Before we saw the Pediatric GI, our pediatrician said that we could use liquid Mylanta for emergencies. The first time we used it DD was 5 weeks old and we were told to use 1/4 a tsp. It helped a little. But, of course, ask your pedi before giving your DS anything over the counter.

Also, things that helped: burping every .5 ounce of food (DD was combo breastmilk/ Nutramigen formula), keeping her upright for 30 minutes after each feeding, giving her smaller meals more often.

Reflux and GERD suck and it takes time and patience, but it will pass.

• If you can't get ahold of your Dr., try asking your pharmacist.

The pharmacist should be able to help with dosing recommendations that are based upon weight.  

Colic calm helps more with hiccups and gas issues, I think.  Not so much with reflux. (I think.)

Good luck.

Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For us it did not work.Made DD constipated, she screamed bloody murder.And it was very messy.Was not worth the money.I do use Gripe Water when DD has the hick ups or upset tummy.She actually loves it.

I've also started just recently giving her chamomile tea. 

• imagejenna3016:

Colic calm helps more with hiccups and gas issues, I think.  Not so much with reflux. (I think.)

Actually, the great thing about Colic Calm is that it DOES help with reflux. It's a 5 in one punch--reflux, colic, gas, teething, and hiccups. It also has a money back guarantee, so it's worth trying. You can read more about how it helps with reflux here:

https://www.coliccalm.com/baby_infant_newborn_articles/acid-reflux.htm

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"