Pre-School and Daycare

LeapFrog LeapPad for DS 4th Bday? Anyone have it?

DS LOVES to take pics & videos with my iphone.  And of course play games.  So I thought this might be a good gift for his 4th bday next week.

Anyone have it?  Is he too young?

Or I was thinking a bike with training wheels?

Thanks!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: LeapFrog LeapPad for DS 4th Bday? Anyone have it?

• DS is 3 and LOVES his Leap Pad. There are some really great games/apps for it and he loves the camera function as well. However, we never let him play with our phones/tablets so it's a whole new thing for him. A friend of mine got one for her DD who's also 3 and she isn't into it b/c she's so used to the iPad.

• my DD loves her LeapPad
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're only going to get one or the other I'd put priority on getting my 4 yr old outside on a bike vs inside playing games any day of the week.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Ha. Because kids that play with computers never go outside....

I would skip the LeapFrog. It can be fun but has such a limited shelf life. ZGet an iPod Touch or something that will grow with your child and has a wider range of apps and educational games as well as fun stuff.

• imageSpenjamins:

Ha. Because kids that play with computers never go outside....

I would skip the LeapFrog. It can be fun but has such a limited shelf life. ZGet an iPod Touch or something that will grow with your child and has a wider range of apps and educational games as well as fun stuff.

I agree with this. We got both our girls (2 and 4) a LeapPad for Xmas. Unfortunately, DD2 poured milk all over DD1's and fried the mother board :( so now we only have 1...and that one is currently lost in the house :/

While they both loved their LeapPads, and it was REALLY really great for traveling (especially being able to put videos on there...), I'm already thinking that we'll eventually get DD1 an iPod Touch instead of replacing her LeapPad. She will sometimes use DD2's, and there are some great games for it... but the games are so expensive (especially compared to the cost of great educational apps that they both love).

And honestly, as much as they love their LeapPads, they prefer the games on my iPhone. DD2 especially uses her LeapPad more as a video player (to watch shows/movies) than for games, but the games are a bit complicated for a 2 y/o anyway ;) DD1 really liked the games, but again, she loves all the apps on my phone and will play with those as much, plus they're free-$2 vs. $20+ for the LeapPad games. And there's a much larger variety of apps that will grow with her more + being able to put music on there and stuff....

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • We got DS the Leapster Explorer. It had great reviews on Amazon and was so much cheaper. I figured he will get bored of it soon and I didn't want to buy the Leap Pad for this reason. This will do until he is old enough for a Nintendo DS. He loves it but games are $24 each, sometimes on sale at Target for $19. And like people said the batteries get expensive to replace.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My son got one for his 3rd birthday and really enjoys it.  We only have 2 games for it, Mr Pencil and Cars, plus the games that came with it and he has gotten a lot of use out of them.  It's not like you have to buy your child every game available for it to be enjoyable.  For the most part was play the learnng games with him, or at least near him so when he gets stuck we an help, so he's not quite at the age yet where he plays 100% independently.  Also rechargable batteries are a must.  To have 2 sets of them would be ideal.

I would highly suggest NOT getting a kindle fire instead of a leap pad.  I have one and there are a few games DS can play on it, but he's always hitting other buttons and clicking on things he's not supposed to instead of playing the game he said he wanted to play.  Its kind of a pain.  Also the screen is too small and too sensitive for him to play the nick jr online games he likes on our laptops.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS just turned 4 last week and we got him a LeapPad. He was really excited about it, and I think it'll be a good toy for him. It'll be a 'treat' toy and closely monitored (he has a temper and throws things), but could be great for car rides, quiet time, to keep him busy once LO #3 arrives, or just for fun. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"