VBAC

Questions to ask OB about wanting to VBAC

I have switched to a midwife for this pregnancy and have an appt on Monday. I know its early on but I want to start to discuss VBAC or Gentle Cesarean sooner than later in case I decide I need to change my "medical team".

What kinds of questions should I ask?  Anything you wish you knew earlier on in the game than later?  

TIA!

Re: Questions to ask OB about wanting to VBAC

• I responded to you on the SAIF board too!

https://vbacfacts.com/2009/06/06/interviewing-care-providers-questions-to-ask/

Here's a great article from the vbac FAQ blog linked in the welcome post, it shows up if you set the board to most recent post showing first.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehopecounts:

I responded to you on the SAIF board too!

https://vbacfacts.com/2009/06/06/interviewing-care-providers-questions-to-ask/

Here's a great article from the vbac FAQ blog linked in the welcome post, it shows up if you set the board to most recent post showing first.

Thanks Mama! Per your suggestion on the SAIF board I came over here too! The link above is amazing, almost more info than I thought I needed, but a great resources as time goes on. 

• Loading the player...
  • I'll tell you a few things I've found along the way -

My OB is pregnant and was put on bedrest for a few weeks, so I rotated to other doctors in the practice.  I found that all of them will theoretically do a VBAC, but my OB happened to be the most pro-VBAC in the office.  Others would only induce if I was dilated enough on my own for them to go in and break my water right at the outset, they don't use Foley catheters, they're not comfortable "letting" a VBAC go past your due date, etc.  Basically they only like dealing with VBACs if it's a perfect scenario.  Whereas my OB will do a Foley if you're even a bit dilated, will see how labor goes before deciding to break the water, will then utilize Pitocin, etc.  So it's important to know not just what your OB will do, but what others in the practice will do if yours is unavailable.

Also - in my OB's practice the doctors cover their own inductions, and with a VBAC they actually stay at the hospital (or in the attached medical building - basically, less than 5 minutes away) the entire time.  I'm really glad to know that if it does get to the point of an induction, my OB will be there until the end.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • I switched practices for this PG just bc I wanted a VBAC. Not that my old OB wouldn't do one, but the hospital she practices at is not VBAC friendly. One fo the fist questions my new OB asked was if I wanted to VBAC or RCS. He is extremely VBAC friendly but I knew this going in (the reason I chose him).

I asked if there were any circumstances in which he would not try for a VBAC and he said no (barring medical reasons like placenta previa or breech presentation).

I subsequently asked what their induction practices are in case of the need to induce (some OBs will not induce a VBAC) and asked about drugs vs foley catheter.

I asked about pain management (really has nothing to do with VBAC but as this hospital also offers laughing gas I thought I would ask).

Before I chose this practice I also looked at CS rates, episiotomy rates and epi rates.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"